[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: WilliamWalker.jpg (103 KB, 463x580)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Do you think an army of filibusters is viable nowadays? What are some examples on history of private armies taking land and founding their kingdoms or republics? I know about pic related and, for instance, conquistadors used to fund their own trips to conquest the Americas even if the land was meant to be conquered under the Spanish king's banner
>>
>>16889071
An army of filibusters was not viable when William Walker was alive. You could even argue it the last time it was truly viable anywhere (exceptions apply) was the middle ages.
> I know about pic related
He never actually suceeded in conquering anything for more than a year. In fact I think he succinctly demonstrates why filibusterism cannot possibly work.
>>
>>16889127
Really, few people care to remember this, but a vast majority filibustering expeditions failed very hard. Some were arrested before crossing the border, were captured and executed by the place they were invading, and a great deal of the people who managed to launch an expedition just turned back around once they realized how fucked they were (Walker did this several times before his luck ran out).
>>
https://allthatsinteresting.com/operation-red-dog
Modern day filibusters that like many of their forbearers, operated out of Louisiana and failed bigly. I’ve been to Dominica and it’s a totally chill island where they filmed a lot of scenes for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
>>
>>16889071
It would be fun to try to fillibuster Nauru methinks. An Island of less than 10k people where firemarms are outlawed for the general public seems like a cakewalk. With a few hundred guys you could take control of the few police stations on the island and BAM you're in control.
>>
I’ve always said that Haiti is chaotic enough right now that a sufficiently armed group of pirates could take over some land from gangs. That is, until the US intervenes. Alternatively, just a progressive colonization of the Pitcairn Islands.
>>
>>16889837
Im about 80% sure they have australia as a security guarantor
>>
>>16890149
I mean, you still could do it in a way that does not piss off everyone else in the viccinity, that is integrate yourself with an already existing local government. Overthorwing them and putting yourself in power is a sketchier process though. (That's what walker did in his much lauded success).
>>
>>16889127
>You could even argue it the last time it was truly viable anywhere (exceptions apply) was the middle ages.
The term filibuster was first used in the age of buccaneering
The carribeans were captured from the spanish using buccaneer filibusters

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.