[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: k7va7knfrzp81.jpg (966 KB, 2497x2145)
966 KB
966 KB JPG
Be it Gaulish, Brythonic, Welsh, or Gaelic. What makes it different from Greco-Roman or Germano-Nordic mythology? What deities, magic, mythical creatures, practices, stories, etc. are involved? I always see the "Celtic" label in many fantasy-inspired books, music, or aesthetics, but what exactly do they mean?
>>
>>16889934
Idk
Post more
>>
>>16889934
I know their women slept around with as many guys as possible and bragged about it, i prefer the germanic way of life
>>
>>16890241
Sounds like Roman propaganda recycled by unquestioning modern feminist historians
>>
I did have a course in Norse and Celtic mythology at university, with some comparison of myths that were similar in the two mythologies.

I don't remember a lot, but much of it was documented by Irish monasteries, which for centuries were researching and working with Irish mythology. I think they changed some of it to fit a Christian context though, but I don't really remember, and maybe I'm mixing things now.
>>
>>16889934
bump
>>
>>16890875
Irish monks basically took Irish mythology and interpreted it in a historical lens where the "gods" were ancient men. Like what Snorri Sturlsson thought about the Aesir/Vanir etc.
Not much of the myth remained verbatim, but by comparing it with known celtic gods/myths from elsewhere, parallels can be drawn.
>>
Battles are fought with magic runes, or engravings bestow power
>>
>>16889934
>Love nature (but not vegan)
Passive-aggressive subliminal messaging + ESL meme + reddit-tier comedy
>>
>>16889934
Here you have 44 pages pdf in English with the celtic gods in the Iberian Peninsula. And most of these gods are the same in other European countries.

Iberian celts had an incredible culture and mythology before the Romans destroyed everything.

https://dc.uwm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1029&context=ekeltoi

"Celtic Gods of the Iberian Peninsula"

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.