[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Rousas_Rushdoony.jpg (12 KB, 173x216)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Theonomy/Christian reconstructionism is a Christian movement that developed primarily under the direction of R. J. Rushdoony, Greg Bahnsen and Gary North which has had an important influence on the Christian right in the United States. Its central theme is that society should be reconstructed under the Dominion of Jesus in all aspects of life. It is influenced by the Neo-Calvinism of Abraham Kuyper. Reconstructionists advocate for theonomy and the restoration of certain biblical laws which they say have continued in their relevance. Most Calvinists reject Christian reconstructionism and hold to a classical covenantal view of theology. Which holds that the civil laws are abrogated but still are a useful tool as guidance. Classical Calvinists also hold to an Amillennialist eschatology which is in contradistinction to the postmillennial eschatology of Christian reconstructionism(which informs the view of the Kuyperian cultural mandate). Also unlike Classical Calvinism, Christian reconstructionism generally holds to the presuppositional apologetics of Cornelius Van Til.

In the Middle ages, Christians created a 3 part division in the laws of the old testament. The moral law (i.e. the ten commandments), the civil law (i.e. The case laws of the Israelites ) and the ceremonial law (i.e. rules about “uncleanness”, Sabbath, circumcision, Passover, dietary restrictions, clothing restrictions, feasts and festivals).

There are 3 types of Theonomists:
Theonomic Reconstructionists: Believes that the civil laws and the moral laws should be enforced by the government.
General Equity Theonomists: Believes that the moral laws should be enforced by the government and the General Equity/Moral principle of the civil laws should be enforced. Most advocate a common law system in its application.
Weak Theonomy/Basic Dominionism: Believes that the moral laws should be enforced by the government and the civil laws are no longer binding.
>>
File: 1721942852241.jpg (731 KB, 1920x1033)
731 KB
731 KB JPG
>>
>>16890943
problem?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.