[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why was Presbyterianism so successful in Korea compared to other denominations of Christianity?
>>
>>16891690
Protestantism, especially Presbyterianism are a religion of revolution like Judaism. The Koreans had Buddhist on the West (China) and Shinto on the East (Japan), who wanted to conquer them. Being a Protestant was seriously seen as the most Korean thing to be. I can't be Catholic or Orthodox, because they teach to submit, rather than to fight.
>>
It was when highly educated, conservative and wealthy WASPs came into Korea. Not Cletuses who fake southern accents and don forced attitudes
>>
>>16891690
Allowed to come in during the Japanese colonial period. America turned up the heat and many educational opportunities were tied to missionaries or missionary institutions in Korea and abroad in the US.
>>
>>16891714
why not just adhere to their own beliefs instead of taking a colonizer one?
>>
>>16891893
Or even better why not refrain from adopting beliefs for the sole purpose of validating your identity
>>
>>16891930
Religion was more tied to an nation and people identity then today, so it would make sense if it was their original Korean belief system.
>>
>>16891893
The Americans in this instance weren’t a colonial power in Korea. They existed there in missionary schools.
>>
>>16892041
Again why did they thought another colonial power religion despite not having power projecting on Korea better than forming national organized systemic religion of their native culture?
>>
>>16892095
Because, and this might be hard for your nigger sludge called a brain to comprehend, sometimes people just believe a religion when they hear about it.
>>
>>16892095
>>16891893
Native Korean folk religions and confusianism weren't popular religions in the same way that christianity or islam is. Rather than being trying to evangelize people or convert them with the promise of salvation and freedom, they existed mostly as a reflection of the cultural status quo of Korea as a sinosphere kingdom, seeking to reinforce the existing social order and harmony
After WW2 and the Korean War however, said sinophere and confusian world completely collapsed and so, these religions didn't connect anymore with the people in Korea, as they represented something that no longer had value to them, and so, Christianity became popular because it was seen as more modern religion that didn't have to play the old confusian social mores, and was more relevant with the growing cultural contact with the US
>>
>>16891690
Ten quadtrillion American "missionaries"(cultists and glowing freaks) paradropped into the country and spent absurd amounts of money to indoctrinate the uneducated local population to their death cult.
>>
>>16891690
Koreans are the ultimate cucklords of this fucking world.
>>
>>16892572
>>16893192
Then I must be more intelligent then them cause I wouldn't adhere to religious belief that would call for nipping my foreskin.
>>
>>16891828
>Allowed to come in during the Japanese colonial period.
No. Presbyterianism started in Korea in the 1880s. There was a brief period during the early Japanese occupation (~2yrs into it) during the Pyongyang Revival that it flourished a little more, but was repressed during Japanese Korea.
>>
chinks and nips are the eternal enemy to koreans. look at all the satanic chink goblins coming into this thread trying to speak out for koreans like they own the place and trying to impose atheism on them
>>
Any Koreans ITT?
>>
>>16895657
hi i havent posted yet because Korean threads always turn into schizo rambles by malding viet and indog niggas but i would like to say i dont hate them at all. They have it tough over there.
>>
>>16895802
What are you’re thoughts on the OP?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.