[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Alan_Watts_Nothingness.png (1.22 MB, 2830x840)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB PNG
There is literally no reason to fear death logically speaking, so why do so many people fear it?
When you die, there are 2 possible scenarios
You either end up in some afterlife
Or you don't
And either scenario is perfectly fine.
>>
>>16955599
Study biology for maybe 10 seconds instead of listening to airhead charlatans like Alan Watts drooling into microphones.
>>
>>16955599
You know the fear of death is primarily instinctual, right?
If you didn't have an aversion to dying, you wouldn't avoid it, thus you would be less likely to survive long enough reproduce
>>
>>16955602
You could simply make your argument that the fear of death is an evolutionary adaptation instead of being a reductionist prick you know?
And Watts never claimed to really be anything other than someone trying to communicate Buddhist ideas to a western audience. He even said it himself that he had nothing to sell.
>>
>>16955602
Study muh science it was all the answers.
>>
>>16955604
>If you didn't have an aversion to dying, you wouldn't avoid it, thus you would be less likely to survive long enough
I feel like human intelligence has evolved beyond this need. Obviously for many animals, you would need a fear of death, since as you said, they otherwise wouldn't avoid it. But for humans I think it's a bit more complicated, since we developed reasons to live beyond just a primitive fear of death. We are aware that there are things we can be doing with our time beyond simply 'surviving'.
>>
>>16955606
>instead of being a reductionist prick
Stop shitting up the board with this trite new-age shit FAGGOT
>>
File: pepe_flipoff.jpg (33 KB, 500x483)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>16955633
No
>>
>>16955599
Maybe the thought of never seeing your loved ones again is scary?

Why don't you use your fucking brain next time you post? You stupid sack of shit. Fuck you and fuck off.
>>
>>16955639
>Maybe the thought of never seeing your loved ones again is scary?
You'll see them again if there's an afterlife
If there isn't, then you won't even have fear to feel. You'll return to the Earth just as they and everyone else will.
Unless you mean if they died first, then I agree, I think mourning the loss of loved ones is normal, because I believe having loved ones around is far more important for life than a mere fear of death for yourself.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.