[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

&Humanities

I want to become lawyer (my bachelors was in mathematics). Having already obtained a traditional stem degree, I am considering non-traditional options. I am looking at online schools. I have no experience in law, not even an undergraduate course. Should I start with a second Bachelor or just go to law school? I am looking at this Columbia University's offerings. My requirements:

(i) rigorous course of study;

(ii) few (or no) female instructors;

(iii) cheap/low fees

I am based in Wyoming so there are free and cheap options. I won't be working during this period but instead focus on my studies 100%. Any recoomendations?
>>
>>17023970
>Any recoomendations?
Don't become a lawyer unless you come from a Jewish/Brahmin family.
>>
>>17023970
law school is only kind of oriented around teaching you to be a lawyer. It's mostly about teaching you to take the bar exam, and you are going to want a lot of guidance and studying for taking the bar.
There are some very expensive online courses for bar prep, but they generally assume that you have an underlying familiarity with all topics of the law from law school, so they wouldn't be very helpful on their own.
If you really want to become a lawyer, my ultimate advice is spend all of law school taking classes for bar subjects. The NCBE has a list of subjects that they test on. You have to know them all. Then spend your summers interning for larger firms or something like a DA or public defenders office. Those places are always swamped with work, and they'll dump a ton of shit on you, which really helps you to learn the ropes of what practicing as an attorney is actually like.
t. someone who took the bar a month ago and is regretting not taking more bar prep classes during my JD.
>>
>>17024363
you can't take the bar without a degree right?
>>
>>17023970
You don’t need any legal training or education going into law school. Undergrad courses in it will only help a little bit but it’s not worth getting another bachelor’s degree. No undergrad class will properly prepare you for law school because law school is ultimately a shit test. The material isn’t difficult, but the courses are made artificially difficult and demanding in an attempt to tear you down and build you up to think like a lawyer. That said, it helped me a bit because I saw some concepts previously, but any benefit was marginal at best.
>online
Just do in person. Networking is one of the key things about law school and later becoming a lawyer.
> (i) rigorous course of study;
As long as the school is accredited, then it’s going to be rigorous. The difference between a T14 school and anything else in the top 200 is prestige and connections.
> (ii) few (or no) female instructors;
Law has a lot of women in it and you’re not going to find any school like this.
> (iii) cheap/low fees
Look for small schools then. You can find some that are cheap, but they’re not the best obviously. Plenty of good lawyers still come from them though. Your best bet is to do really good on the LSAT and get a scholarship somewhere.
As to this anon’s point >>17024363 consider schools with a high bar pass rate. Mine had one of the best rates in the country because they had a 3L bar refresher course and free access to Barbri. As long as you put in the time to study and practice over the summer, you’ll be fine. I felt like I failed because I didn’t study hard enough and then got a 327 on the UBE.
>>17025394
States are always different, but I think most state bars require that you to have a JD to be a lawyer. Off the top of my head, I know California doesn’t and Minnesota (I think) doesn’t require that you take the bar exam. So you just have to look into the rules of the state you want to practice in.
>>
>>17023970
i dont think autists make good lawyers
>>
>>17025651
they actually do
>>
>>17025651
Eroha is too nice to be a good lawyer.
>>
>>17026283
Iroha Tamaki (an INFP) would never be a lawyer, that's right.
>>17023970
>(ii) few (or no) female instructors;
You sound like a sheltered beta male with helicopter parent mommy issues, believing in everything you're told online about (gender) or (ethnic group) being inferior or less capable. From the beginning, consider the word humanities. Keyword is human. You are a human amongst humans, and there's always someone out there who will humble you or defy your preconceived expectations.
>>
>>17026316
females are bad at that

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.