[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (180 KB, 1280x720)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>zero influence on continental Germanic
>zero influence on Old English
>neglectable influence on Ibero Romance and Old French
how does that make sense?
>>
File: italoceltic.jpg (19 KB, 350x350)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>17085514
There's tons of Celtic loanwords for very basic vocabulary items in Latin. Even the word for something as fundamental as 'horse' in Modern Latin languages is 'caballus' a clear loanword from Gallic.
I think its possible (probable?) that at the time of Roman Republican expansion, Celtic and Latin were still dialects of the same language - I've seen multiple references to a passage where Caesar says he had to tell centurions to issue orders in Greek because the Gauls could understand Latin orders.
The Bronze tablets they found with Celtiberian have a lot of very obvious correspondences with Latin, and Latin itself was probably the most innovative Italic language. Sabellic/Samnite forms look even more celtic.
Therefore, Celtic influence on the Romance languages would be much harder to detect, since they were already so similar to them.

The bronze age model that makes the most sense to me sees a dialect continuum between proto italic and proto celtic speakers somewhere in central/eastern Europe, probably with Q-celtic at the top, followed by P-Celtic, followed by Sabellic, and Latin being on the other end of the spectrum. Italic speakers took the sea route to Italy, while Celtic speakers followed the land route above the Alps in a 2 wave migration; the first wave was Q celtic speakers who would give rise to Irish and Celtiberian languages, while the 2nd wave from the modern Austrian region gave rise to Gaulish and Brythonic speakers. (There is no doubt in my mind that Gaulish and Brythonic were the same language.)
>>
>>17085554
>There's tons of Celtic loanwords for very basic vocabulary items in Latin
Nop
We know about 57 loanwords
>>
>>17085554
so, the Vulgar Latin in Spain and France was so similar to Celtic especially in phonology, that the replacement went relatively smooth? similar to how Low German was replaced with High German ?
>>
>>17085554
>There's tons of Celtic loanwords for very basic vocabulary items in Latin
Such as?
>caballus' a clear loanword from Gallic
You are a mouthbreating retard.
> think its possible (probable?) that at the time of Roman Republican expansion, Celtic and Latin were still dialects of the same language
Amazing how retarded you are.
>There is no doubt in my mind that Gaulish and Brythonic were the same language
See above.
>>
>>17085514
Also to follow up on
>>neglectable influence on Ibero Romance and Old French
The fact that so many basic vocabulary items come from Celtic probably means when Celtic didn't have a word for something, it instead just took a loanword from Latin, which would artificially cause the modern lexicon to look lopsided toward Latin.
Like how modern scientific concepts are always given Latin derived words in English. When they invented the internal combustion engine, they didn't say "inside fire craft" they used the latin-derived word. So too with Celtic
>>
The Celts are perhaps the most unlucky people of history. BTFO by Romans and then had their territories taken by Germoid squatters.
>>
>>17085514
the only explanation I could think of is that there weren't many celts in the first place. there was never a widespread celtic civilization in France or Britain (at least after the wars), celts were just scattered outliers that got replaced gradually by germano-romans which were already larger in numbers and almost completely independent of them when they formed the old Germanic empires.
>>
>>17085580
Circassian-Kabardian-Ubykh had it the worst. Celts got it bad too but the Celts did extend their range to begin with. Circassians just stayed in their region and still got fucked over.
>>
>>17085514
Gaulish-speakers extended as far as central Poland and western Ukraine, as well as much of Germany up until the Jastorf culture's boundaries, and even past it a bit in Denmark among the Cimbrians.
>>
>>17085514
they had a ton of influences
>>
>>17086799
no
>>
Celts peaked too early. The pan european empire before Rome. From Ireland to Anatolia. Portugal to Ukraine.

Only to be pincer maneuvered by Caesar one of the greatest men of all time and Germanics who were coming into their own and still dominate the world to this day.

Also Scots, Irish, Welsh dominated the British Empire's military so they sort of had a renaissance later on.
>>
>>17085514
Bump
>>
>>17085514
>>zero influence on Old English
Debatable
In terms of loanwords sure (although it is possible there were plenty of loanwords in common spoken old English that just weren't recorded in books since they weren't seen as "proper")
However English has sentance structure and some sounds more similar to Welsh than German. It also has old words conguated in a way that would be normal in a celtic language but unknown in Germanic ones.
Though as I understand there is still some debate, and I'm not a linguist or aware of the finer points
>>
>>17087472
do support is inherently germanic
>>
>>17085514
All of Britain spoke Gaelic then but Cumbria and Wales

See;

The oldest tales about the origin of the Irish race
Julius Caesar's works
The placenames of Scotland, Wales, and Ireland
Late Iron Age archaeology of Britain

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.