[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/his/ - History & Humanities

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1726813230945.jpg (38 KB, 500x375)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Why did we stop making food that combined both savory and sweet elements? Traditional preparations of medieval foods like biryani are largely savory but have distinct elements like raisins which add strong sweetness into almost every bite - this isn't really something you see anymore in contemporary dishes. Why is there now a far more clear dividing line between "savory" and "sweet" foods than there was in the past?
>>
We didn't. We litterally didn't. In a few weeks people will be getting into fistfights over the last jar of fruit and sugar paste to smear onto their roasted meat.
>>
biryani with raisins fucking suck i always hated it when my mom put them in
>>
>>17092976
Look up how much sugar is in a mcdonald's cheeseburger.
Look up how they spray sugar water on french fries.
>>
There's still a lot of sweetness. Ketchup is pretty sweet, bbq sauce or just drinkig soda with your meal.
I guess solid sweet ingredients are rarer now, it's more about sauces.
>>
>>17092976
We didn't stop tho. Where I'm from pickled red cabage is a very common sidedish when eating beef, game, or rabbit. Apart from that? Many people combine apricot with chicken, pineapple on pizza, ketchup is sweet as well btw. If you like them you could also eat sweet potatoes.
>>
>>17092976
"We" didn't. (You) just order/cook the same food over and over again.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (59 KB, 512x384)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
the poorfag cope food that saved the world
>>
The tomato replaced fruit in most sauces, this along with sugar made regular fruit obsolete, however it survives in anglo cuisine.

>honey glazed pork
>pork and apple sauce
>lamb and cranberry sauce
>>
>>17093209
it only caused a malthusian catastrophe in ireland
>>
>>17093275
The Irish famine wasn't fully natural and was in fact worsened by British policies, namely allowing food to be exported from Irish ports during the crisis
>>
>>17093283
>market controls are natural
>>
>>17093268
It survives in Italian food too.
>>
>>17093283

>the Irish sell their food rather than eat it
>this is the fault of the British
>>
>>17093283
Much of the British establishment believed it was divine punishment for the papist paddies to starve.
>>
>>17093385
The anglican church, at the bequest of queen victoria was the largest fund raiser for famine relief and the soup kitchens saved millions of lives.

unfortuntely the nationalist republicans spread dishonest rumours and conspiracies that the soup kitchens were actually a ploy to convert Catholics to Protestantism. unfortunately millions died because of these rumour. the republicans then blamed the british for these deaths,
>>
File: kepchp.jpg (145 KB, 1600x1600)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>17092976
>be British
>put ketchup on every dish
>luv the sweet taste on my savory chips and sausage roll
> think that this post is retarded

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.