[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pcabaires.jpg (78 KB, 640x442)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Do you practice urban sketching regularly?
Practicing urban sketching is the only thing that gets me out of the house, and it has been essential for me to improve my freehand drawing and observation. I usually only carry 3 fine line pens and a sketchbook, but I'm thinking of getting some watercolors. I usually go to squares that aren't very busy, as I still have difficulty dealing with crowded environments.
It's a very positive and therapeutic activity. I used to be very depressed, but when I'm in crisis I always take my materials and go out to draw, regardless of the time of day. I don't think about making beautiful or perfect drawings, I just let the stream of consciousness flow and capture the essence
>>
No, but one of the bars I frequent has this semi-homeless guy who does charcoal portraits for drinks. He's really good and also clearly has mental health issues.
Come draw my bar, its called Vinnies
>>
File: 05-04-2024-.jpg (1.95 MB, 1754x1276)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>7130868
Urban sketching is mad fun even if i'm not very good at it yet
i thought i'd get psyched out by the people watching me but nah I get so absorbed I couldn't care less if someone peaks over my shoulder
last time i went some girl who was walking her dog told me i was really good and then a ukranian guy told me "spradi dobre, nice nice" or some shit
>>
>>7130952
nice
>>
>>7130868
>>7130952
just don’t do it in NYC
https://youtu.be/jQwwOS66jT4?si=XpqmZDzcCeTERIy_
>>
>>7130952
it's good, I think the hardest part of the urban sketch is making the human figure
never use a pencil, it's much more fun to go straight to the pen
>>
>>7130868
Urban sketch is neat, especially if you want ideas for environment concept art
>>
>>7130868
>>7131016
lemme shill this mofo, his tutorials are crazy good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgDYlmRwXF8&ab_channel=StephenTraversArt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9fbe9ycN3M&t=807s&ab_channel=StephenTraversArt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=479Lg54_Z5Y&ab_channel=StephenTraversArt
>>
>>7130968
More like, dont be a gook around any nog in any major cities.
He has no one to blame but himself. Dont blame the scorpion for stinging the frog.
>>
>>7130968
> violent act
> truly disturbing act of violence
> terrible crashing pain
lolk

>>7130868
I used to but haven't in a while. I do paint and draw outside a lot though. It's a good exercise, artistically and psychologically.
>>
I live in a small town where all the houses and buildings have no aesthetics whatsoever. I might as well stay in my room drawing cubes.
>>
>>7131078
your city has no natural landscapes? I'm sure there are many interesting places you haven't explored in your city, I think this adventure is also part of the urban sketch
>>
>>7130952
At a certain point people in public are going to make you feel like an art god. On here they are going to say ngmi lol
>>
>>7131025
Braindead take
Ngmi
>>
>>7131078
You'd be surprised how drawing a building can make you appreciate it more. Do you think paintings/drawings of plain dwellings had reference material that was all that interesting? There's beauty in the mundane, just like there is in decay, learning to see it and appreciate it is a matter of personal taste, I think, though.
>>
going out tomorrow morning for some urban sketching
trips and the love of my life falls into my lap
>>
>>7130952
It looks like storyboard
>>
>>7131745
You are right, the most interesting looking houses here are the ones left to rot.
>>
File: 14-04-2024.png (2.14 MB, 1233x1713)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB PNG
>>7130952
got filtered hard by vegetation i need to work on recognizing patches of value better
>>
File: bug.jpg (572 KB, 1842x2048)
572 KB
572 KB JPG
>>7132829
also I found this cool guy with no abs
>>
>>7130868
Is urban sketching good for practicing line confidence?
>>
>>7132829
>>7132832
Nice job anon, did you sketched this fella too?
>>
>>7132835
nah it was in the middle of a busy road under the sun and i'm scared of bugs ew ew ew
>>
>>7132829
stop putting that ugly ass timer in there bruh
>>
>>7132987
Well, you can sketch using the pic then
>>
>>7130968
he looks like a fag spazzing out, if you look like that while drawing in public you deserve to get beat up
>>
I want to start doing it, but I find landscapes boring and work-intensive and I get anxious about drawing people because I'm not good.
I could draw monsters by using refs on phone, but that defeats the point of going out.
>>
I wish I would, but the urban scenery here is pretty bland. I'd likely have to drive for a considerable time to get anything interesting to draw.
>>
>>7133277
Blander than whatever Gurney's painting? As an artist, you should be able to make even something bland interesting.

Looking for Le Perfect Subject is a 101 pleinair mistake.

>>7133038
>I find landscapes boring and work-intensive
They're aren't necessarily. There are many ways to approach them.
>>
>>7131078
>no aesthetics
this is an aesthetic in itself. they still have colour and tone and shadow.
>>
>>7130868
What kind of pens/markers and sketchbooks would you recommend for urban sketching?
>>
>>7134643
use the materials you have at your disposal, but I recommend a 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 ink pen. As for the sketchbook, I make my own, there are several tutorials on the internet and it's very easy to do. If you're going to buy or make a sketchbook, I recommend that you have paper weighing more than 75 grams.
>>
>>7131023
this is gold, thanks anon
>>
>>7134921
>a 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 ink pen
What, all 3? And why pen instead of pencil?
How do you deal with measuring while sketching with people around too? Using the regular "squint at the pen(cil) in outstretched hand" method would feel pretty awkward I imagine.
>>
>>7135328
you can use a pencil if you want, in my opinion pencil is like using your hand while pen is pussy from the woman you love, pencil is just messy and not as snug, it's nice to be able to go directly in ink and work around your mistakes, plus it doesn't scan nicely.
>How do you deal with measuring while sketching with people around too? Using the regular "squint at the pen(cil) in outstretched hand" method would feel pretty awkward I imagine.
i thought that too, I'm autistic enough that i need to psych myself up before entering a store and talking to the cashier, but I don't feel awkward stretching out my hand, as I said here >>7130952 you get so focused you barely notice people around you
>>
>>7134643
this all depends how large you want to draw, if you are travelling, do you draw at home from pictures or if you actively go stand/sit and draw in public, etc. 5"x8.25" is not a bad size to sketch with. can pull out and hold in hand or do more precise stuff sitting down. i dont like smaller, but its more preference than anything.

i recommend actual finer liners. its difficult to do anything with brush or nib or whatever in public. the larger the drawing, the larger the pen size. a 0.5 for general work and 0.3 for the details can be good. you arent doing crazy detail urban sketches, so dont need the finer control of 0.1 or 005 type stuff. id also bring something to fill if you do more heavy contrast work or deal with shadows. like OP has those very dark thick lines on the fence. thats annoying to fill even with how small it is using a 0.3 or .5. a 1.0 or one of those pentel brush pens, but i wouldnt go out and get one unless you do a lot of fill work on drawings.
>>
>try to use pastels on pencil sketch
>smear the sketch
So either colored pencils and or start using a pen

What do you actually use if you want to color on the spot?
>>
>>7135623
markers maybe
>>
>>7135623
The most popular mediums are watercolor, gouache, or you can also just use a water brush and smear the ink intentionally for shades (then redraw). I've also seen people use toned paper with black and white pens.
>>
File: IMG_20240417_090450.jpg (1.57 MB, 3072x1728)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB JPG
No.▶>>7134921 >>7135525

>>7134643
What kind of pens/markers and sketchbooks would you recommend for urban sketching?

I use pen and ink and watercolor pencils, or in pan. Easy to carry and fits in a box in my bag. For sketchbooks I use the Canson brand, but lately i made some of my own with Arches paper.
>>
I'd probably get shot or stabbed if I hung out in a public area for more than a couple of minutes
>>
>>7136785
do you live in Haiti? I'm from Brazil and I can draw in the street
>>
>>7130868
i am too ugly to be out in public which is 80% of my motivation for drawing full time anyway
>>
>>7138278
cmon man quit your bitching what do you think is gonna happen? chad gonna come up to you and slap the sketchbook out of your hands? What he gonna do? Make you notice your lines don't vanish to the same horizon?
plenty of stuff to draw in the woods and swamp if you're too subhuman sub5 truecel for the cities
>>
File: P_20240420_172030.jpg (461 KB, 1229x1639)
461 KB
461 KB JPG
this thread inspired me to start urban sketching regularly. pic related was my first attempt from earlier today.
clearly ive got some ways to go but this has been very helpful towards dropping my ego and being ok with drawing garbage in front of strangers
>>
>>7140023
my nigga, those lines are crisp as hell.
don't be afraid to stretch out your thumb or pencil to check for verticals and horizontals
watch these vids >>7131023 they're good
>>
>>7140023
>this has been very helpful towards dropping my ego and being ok with drawing garbage in front of strangers
That's the spirit. Just keep pushing.

>>7138278
> i am too ugly to be out in public
That's not the spirit. Don't be that anon.

Confidence is something you build one step at a time. Self-doubt isn't purely evil either.
>>
File: 1683025688620513.jpg (833 KB, 1336x2000)
833 KB
833 KB JPG
When I was carrying 20 credits at Jersey City State College, and all excited about it, I did work in my spare time there. This is the view from the student union building, and two pictures found in old National Geographic magazines their library had.
>>
>>7138092
My city also is safe and has some historical buildings to draw
>>
File: 22-04-2024.jpg (2.61 MB, 2001x1454)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
today's adventures where cut short due to rain
>>
>>7142191
Damn nice!
>>
>>7143583
thank you!
I hope tomorrow is a nice clear day, I migh go out and draw some more
>>
>>7130868
i do this sometimes in my city square & architectural districts, i enjoy it a lot as art is one of the only things that can get me out of the house. ive made money and commissions drawing certain locations and events, have to avoid looking like a homeless busker here tho
>>
>>7130868
What is it good for? I want to but I think it's a waste if i want to draw characters.
>>
>>7144943
if all you do is practice drawing humans and loomis heads youll quickly realize how stunted your skills truly are when you're required to draw literally anything else
broaden your horizons
>>
>>7144943
Observing the real world will help you develop even more human characters. Why do you think many mangaka in their manga development period go to the streets for inspiration? You don't need to interact, just watch them, observe their gestures, the way they talk
>>
>>7131025
>cracked out homeless white woman hitting random unsuspecting people in the head
>blames black people
>>
File: P_20240428_162940.jpg (2.83 MB, 4096x3072)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB JPG
week 2 baybee (1/2)
no idea how people employ perspective freehand, shits hard and it burned me out so i ended up drawing nearby fat people out of stress. might start going out both saturday and sunday
>>
File: P_20240428_162940.jpg (447 KB, 1229x1639)
447 KB
447 KB JPG
>>7149376
dickfucking damn it
>>
File: P_20240428_163010.jpg (406 KB, 1639x1229)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
>>7149380
(2/2)
>>
i walk an hour every morning around a wooded neighborhood and just recently started taking along a sketchbook, doing few-second street-view gestures as i move past. it rains every day, so i juggle an umbrella, too.
it’s funny how people react.
>pre-sketchbook, they briefly greeted me if my umbrella was closed,
>and frowned if they couldn’t see my face because the umbrella was up and open.
>if i’m sketching in motion or no, cars slow down to rubberneck, and even the most rigid passersby always suddenly brighten and smile like i’ve made their day.
>>
>>7149546
>and even the most rigid passersby always suddenly brighten and smile like i’ve made their day.
It seems like sketching in public does bring a lot of interest. I did it very briefly and secretly like four times in total and once I heard a passerby commenting to another about me drawing.
>>
File: 30-04-2024.jpg (513 KB, 1697x1208)
513 KB
513 KB JPG
I'm so autistic when someone comes up to me while I'm drawing
>>
>>7149381
cute old ladies
>>
>>7132829
>>7151197
very cool stuff anon very disciplined and well distributed hatching, are you using a fineliner? I wouldve lost the patience drawing those windows but youve inspired me to also try to study more environment, I always prefered drawing nature to urban environments but I get the feeling drawing some "artificial" nature my benifit me too

im curious, do you think you could draw some complete scenes out of memory by now?
>>
File: BoatDocking.webm (3.19 MB, 640x480)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB WEBM
>>7151805
>are you using a fineliner?
I'm using a pilot g1 0.5mm, it's a smooth pen with very thick ink but yeah a fineliner would be better
>I wouldve lost the patience drawing those windows
yeah me too, I did it because a girl was staring and to not think about it I got really autistic with the windows
>but I get the feeling drawing some "artificial" nature my benifit me too
you should it's good fun, I should draw more nature cause I suck ass at it
>im curious, do you think you could draw some complete scenes out of memory by now?
yeah I wouldn't say I'm able to make complete scenes out of memory but I guess drawing from life sticks with you a lot more than copying random photos off pinterest

wemb kinda related, I fixed my dad's old-ass camcorder and took it out for a spin while drawing, thought it'd be cool to post in this thread
>>
>>7131023
wow this guy has great videos, thank you
>>
>>7152234
Are you unemployed? If not, do you draw in the evenings, during weekends?
>>
File: bus.jpg (3.06 MB, 4080x3072)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
>>7152234
>I did it because a girl was staring and to not think about it I got really autistic with the windows
when some girl stares at me drawing, I start drawing something random in my field of vision and everything turns out worse than it was lol, but I'm starting to be able to ignore it. I recommend you get a bike if you don't have one, it's very good, it allows you to go on short trips too
Don't ignore the vehicles, they're quite interesting to draw too
>>
>>7152294
yes i am what you'd call a NEET
>>
>>7152234
>I did it because a girl was staring
Did you talk to her?
>>
>>7152632
>autistic NEET starts trembling when a stranger woman looks at him and pretends to be hyper focused on his work so he doesn't shit himself
>"did you talk to her?"
>>
>>7152634
He could always calm down later.
>>
>>7152632
i think she was a tourist and didn't speak my language
>>7152634
i was joking I don't get that pressed by people staring or coming up to me to chat.
while I was drawing that particular building two dudes sat next to me to watch me draw for a couple minutes and we made small talks, after, a class of middle schoolers sorrounded me and were really impressed, one of the kids said that my works "should be hanged next to Da Vinci's" lmao

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.