[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_3918.jpg (3.75 MB, 3024x4032)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
Advice frog here (I'm a gigachad artist who's worked professionally, some of my pieces have had 50k+ likes on twitter)

No, drawing more isn't gonna make you a better artist. Rote drawing is the absolute worst form of learning. It teaches you how to freehand curves and straight lines, but past that it doesn't really teach you anything.

10 minutes of quality observation and studying is worth more than a lifetime of rote drawing.

For example: how many hours of drawing are you gonna learn the main muscle groups that goes from shoulderblade to arms (one of the most important places of anatomy to learn)? Some people have drawn their *entire lives* and never learn this. However, 5 minutes spent reading Uldin Zari's Anatomy for Sculptures and you gain this knowledge.

Sure, does practice matter? Yes. But guided practice and being mindful of what exactly you're trying to achieve with this practice is often the most overlooked skill in art education.

img is random sketch of fern I did
>>
File: IMG_3917.jpg (2.95 MB, 3024x4032)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB JPG
one small example of guided practice I did. Here I set out to learn the shoulderblade muscles Teres Major, Intraspinatus, and Deltoid and how they look in practicality.

I used Bernini's sculptures as reference.
>>
>>7130877
>No, drawing more isn't gonna make you a better artist
stopped reading
>>
>>7130877
>actually drawing makes you worse at drawing!
peak nodraw cope
>>
>>7130877
>>7130878
>shit advice
>unfinished copy slop
Nodraw crabbery.
>>
>>7130877
draw more with intent
you're obsessing about semantics
>>
>>7130877
>retard thinks draw more means anything more than draw more
>>
Maybe OP should draw more.
>>
>>7130877
Post that 50k+ likes piece
>>
>>7130877
When people say "draw more" on this board they don't mean to raw caveman grind it, they mean exactly the shit you are saying. Do studies, do master copies, mindful practice not mindless, etc. Don't waste a thread for this shit.
>>
>>7130877
"Just draw" is meant to filter the sub-130 IQ talentlets. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>7130877
>10 minutes of quality observation and studying is worth more than a lifetime of rote drawing.
With extremisms like this one, do you actually believe anyone is going to take you seriously lol?
>>
>>7130878
this is the worst study ive ever seen posted on this board
>>
>>7130877
okay, how do i observe?
>>
>>7130877
"Draw more" is good advice for your first year of drawing, where people are often just anxious about picking up a pencil. Agreed though you need to actually study to improve past that though.
I've been really bad about studying the past two years and I noticed immediate and persistent stagnation as soon as I stopped really focusing on studying and just went for mileage.
>>
>>7131013
I actually just mean draw more. Most wannabe artists draw for 20 minutes and call it a day.
>>
>>7130903
he posted his work without the need for external fulfillment from anons which makes him a better man than you
>>
>>7130878
you are the Ranma guy right?
>>
>Read more
"I can't read Japanese!"
>Draw more
"I can't draw!"
maybe you should sell your body to a Ukrainian billionaire?
>>
>>7130877
Why doesnt anyone read the sticky?
It lays out a good method for begs to learn to draw
>>
>>7131083
I'm a gigachad artist who's worked professionally, some of my pieces have had 50k+ likes on twitter
>>
>>7131355
I apologize for my disrespectful behavior; I didn’t know I was in the presence of a God. *kneels*
>>
>>7131280
The sticky is honesty god awful and the link is broken
>>
>>7131280
link's dead Jim
>>
>>7131369
You release that's from the OP post, right?
>>
>>7130877
The face looks a bit weird, the eye on the right side (closer to the viewer) is still a bit too much on the outside and the eyes are slightly misaligned with where you placed her cheeks. I'd redline but I'm kind of in a hurry right now but I can do it later today if you wanna. Either way I suggest doing some head studies because even when drawing anime the head should give the impression of being 3d despite the fact that it is heavily stylized.
>>
>>7130877
its the best advice, if you have any talent for it
if you have to constantly rely on studies, manuals and teachers, you will always be mediocre
>>
>not enough space for a 2nd monitor where I could put the ref art
>alt+tab to look at the re and try to remember as much of it as a possible
>apparently this is some big brain method of doing reps
kek
>>
>>7130877
You are correct, that careful observation is the most important part when it comes to drawing. That said, you're acting like this is some revelation, when it's literally the one thing every instructional artbook ever will tell you on its first pages. You also misunderstand the idea of 'just draw'. It's not so much an appeal to mindless drawing, but an advice for anons who are just starting out, looking for the perfect answer to getting started. It's advice from an era where people used to fight over what's the best curriculum to get good the most efficient way, with a lot of anons holding themselves back by hoarding resources instead of simply getting started. These days I see it mostly for people who find dozens of excuses why they can't draw. And in that case, it's really the best answer for it - just get started. Don't worry too much about the theory if you're just starting out.

> worked professionally
> some pieces had 50k+ likes
This is one of the better threads, so I'm not gonna be too mean to you, but those credentials are pretty meaningless. Professional work is anything you get paid for and having 'some pieces' on social media do well isn't an indicator of your overall online performance or popularity. Your sketches are decent, but not impressive. That aside you posted work and advice, which makes this thread better than 99% of trash threads on /ic/

>>7130881
>>7130893
>>7130903
Maybe OP had a point after all. You people make me sad.
>>
>>7131502
no wonder I kneeled so quickly
>>
>>7130877
this is horrible art and horrible advice, if you are upset about something, figure it out yourself
>>
>>7130877
>>7130878
Die shit
>>
>>7130877
>10 minutes of quality observation and studying is worth more than a lifetime of rote drawing.

10 seconds is enough, why take that long?
>>
>>7131083
the work is unfinished, so it doesn't count.
>>
>>7131049
That's where the talent comes in
>>
Op's art is great, anyone who says otherwise is either trolling or an awful artist. Post your work and prove me otherwise.
>>
>>7132226
it does count
>>
>>7132233
Agreed. And I say this as a fellow gigachad artist who's worked professionally, some of my pieces have had 100k+ reblogs on tumblr
>>
Pewdiepie day 200
>>
>>7132235
just sketch unfinished things
>>
>>7131072
Let them fail, who cares?
>>
>>7132256
why does this bother you
>>
>>7132291
/begs/ post completed and polished turds and then get shit on by /ints/ that post unfinished sketches, knowing if they finish the drawing then it'll be a turd. And then they tell the /beg/ to always finish their drawings.
>>
>>7132277
I've seen what failed artists are capable of.
>>
>>7132294
Did they become ints, just from making unfinished sketches? no, they know the path to int is paved with polished turds as they walked that path first.
>>
>>7130877
"Just draw" is the advice given (or should be given) to absolute beginners who spend too much time deliberating on how they should start drawing instead of just starting. This is because at the level they are, they learn much more through the actual experience of drawing. Even if they did studies and courses, how could they expect to apply any of that information without even knowing how to draw a straight line? The people this advice is directed to NEED to learn to freehand curves and straight lines, because they've never used their pencils for much more than writing. It's not going to make them better artists, but it's going to give them an idea of what being an artist is.

The problem is that this advice is taken extremely literally by Dunning-Kruger retards who give this advice to anyone of any skill level, thinking it can solve any art problem; this leads to more people spreading this advice, more people misunderstanding its true purpose and more redundant threads like this one discussing its meaning. At a high beginner/intermediate level you DO benefit much more from thoughtful studies and application of said studies. "Just draw" is painfully vague and doesn't exactly point any of that out... yet it's used to convey those things. At this point there's no true single meaning anymore. This can all be fixed if people are actually fucking clear with their advice. Though that may be too much to ask seeing some of the replies here.

>>7131549
have you seriously never tried putting the windows side by side?
>>
>>7132303
>have you seriously never tried putting the windows side by side?
Not enough space on a 1920x1080 monitor, I feel claustrophobic.
>>
File: windoe.png (839 KB, 1920x1080)
839 KB
839 KB PNG
>>7132342
You could always adjust the window sizes to fit. Realistically you don't need that much space to draw anyways, unless you're super duper zoomed in (which you shouldn't be), so the reference window can be as big or as small as you want. Most drawing softwares also have a sub view which you can play around with too. Or just forget all of this and draw traditionally while looking at your monitor.
>>
>>7132296
Not sure if you're talking about CWC or AH
>>
>>7132365
yeah him
>>
>posted an image asking for advice or tips, got a response
>don't worry, just keep drawing, don't give up
>already had no trouble with drawing daily for many hours
It felt like an anon just failed to analyse me and so the "advice" was pointless. So yeah, sometimes "draw more" is not as valuable as actual input.
>>
>>7132354
I think this model is really pretty. She shows up a lot in line of action I think.
>>
>>7132416
draw more goodly
>>
The crabs:

>>7130881
>>7130893
>>7130903
>>7130906
>>7130944
>>7130981
>>
>>7132220
this type of dumb poster is why I gave up on ic long ago.
>>
>>7132438
No you are just an idiot who will never be good.
>>
>>7132436
pyw
>>
How are people calling this bad advice? Most of drawing is accumulating knowledge and training yourself to think in 3D. Your brain isn't just going to magically figure out how everything you want to draw works by you mindlessly drawing. You have to observe, attempt, critique. I would call this advice so obvious that it's almost not worth posting, but people are actually contradicting it? Like what the fuck? I can only assume people are misunderstanding what OP is saying and thinking he's making an argument for less practice or something because he wrote "draw more" instead of "just draw more." If you read his post though it's pretty clear what he's talking about.
I used to practice in an extremely stupid way when I was young and gave up. Took up drawing recently and practiced in an intelligent way and have made more progress in 2 months than years of drawing gave me before.
>>
>>7132438

I thought you gave up on every place, so why do you keep coming back.
>>
>>7132438
Why are you still here?
>>
>>7132823
You underestimate how stupid people on this board are.
They 100% buy into the "just draw" meme. They genuinely believe aimless drawing means guaranteed meaningful improvement.
>>
>>7130877
>IN ORDER TO IMPROVE AT SOMETHING, SIMPLY STOP DOING IT!
yeah, no, fuck off tranime faggot
>>
>>7132823
>>7132855
Just draw more has always meant exactly what it says “draw more,” it has never meant “ONLY draw aimlessly.”Assuming that it did is just your iq showing. If you misread simple advice or followed anyone intentionally bad faith posting you were always doomed to get filtered
>>
>>7130877
>I'm a gigachad artist
>frieren slop drawing (you definitely only draw fotm shit for attention on shitter)
I walk my own path. You chose to walk the path others have already carved, you are no "gigachad" artist, you're a cock sucker.
>>
>>7133163
>noooo you can't draw stuff from an actually decent anime within the last 10 years or you're clout chasing

oh get lost
>>
>>7132830
to take a shit in your mouth
>>
>>7133166
>no argument
>resorts to basedjak poster behavior
You should kill yourself right now.
>>
>>7133170

Don't waste your shit on me. You should be using that on our crops, Mr Farmer.
>>
File: 1565007171891.jpg (77 KB, 785x785)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>7133153
>"just draw"
>NOOOOOOOOOOO YOU MISREAD THE SIMPLE ADVICE! JUST DRAW ISN"T JUST SUPPOSED TO MEAN JUST DRAWWWWWWWW!
>>
>>7133172
I wasn't arguing with you, I was telling you straight facts.
>>
>>7130881
No one ever got better at drawing by drawing.
>>
>>7133153
This strikes me as bullshit because the whole reason for this kind of reductive advice is to imply that the person is overthinking things and that the problem is their mileage. A lot of people probably give the advice meaning "just draw more" and a lot of people also take it that way, but it's wrong. If you don't understand how to practice you'll just spin your wheels and you see that shit constantly in every kind of discipline and hobby. So no, I'm not a retard misunderstanding simple advice. If you say this instead of explaining the process of improving you're a dipshit because many people are clearly confused.
>>
>>7133201
>>7133179
Practicing is just drawing anon. Practice is mileage. I don’t know how else to you you’re a retard. Clearly everyone else in the thread gets it but you few tards whining
>>
>>7133392
And they are all crabs like you who don't know how to study.
>>
>>7133392
No, you're just a disingenuous freak like most 4chan posters. You probably understand that people extremely new to drawing or just people who were never taught how to practice properly take advice like "just draw" or "draw more" the wrong way but you'll never admit it.
>>
>>7133421
>>7133398
I’m not crabbing you faggot, I just don’t know why stating that yes drawing is going to help you get better at drawing. It’s not bad advice to tell someone to draw. Many beglets are howies who troll for text walls and never draw. No draw faggot is an insult on this board for a reason. You should practice, but practicing takes many shapes and forms and is unique to the individual. You need to try many different forms of practice. If I tell you “study this way” half of you fags will howie or argue that’s not the “right way.” Hence, “just draw.” The idea that just pure mileage doesnt help too is laughable. Applying what you’re practicing is just as important as study, have you seen that retard in beg that just posts the same dogshit studies over and over?

I was “new” to art too, was told “just draw” and understood what that meant. I wasn’t drawing enough, I started drawing everyday. I am int now. You are over complicating this because I presume you are either autistic or beg or both.
>>
>>7133437
pyw lil' bitch, let's see your 'int' worthy efforts.
>>
>>7133437
What I'm saying is that telling someone to "draw more" "just draw" or any variation of that retard shit tier advice won't necessarily lead people to unilaterally practice in an effective useful manner. And I consider "applying" a part of effective practice anyway so I don't know what your point is there. The point is lots of people get hung up symbol drawing their ass off instead of trying to copy from reference then applying what they learned through recall and isolating problems in their art to improve on.
>>
99% of artists should just draw more.
There are a few people who have been drawing ungodly amounts every day for years and didn't improve, these are outliers. Everyone else should be drawing more often while employing different techniques.

Even if you had a fool proof way to get better, you still have to DRAW to make use of it. Thats what JUST DRAW means. Draw first, then find your specific answer to your specific problems, then keep drawing. There is no way to get better that does not involve drawing.
>>
We should change it "Just Draw Better". Draw something, think about whats wrong, and draw again better.
>>
>>7133557
not as catchy
and it would filter retards anyway, so I'll stick to 'just draw'
>>
op is absolutely right. Anyone that has actual talent will tell you this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dqwTjIS0l4

of course it doesn't hurt to do some preliminary sketches etc
>>
hou a fagggot
>>
File: Kuzomari.jpg (415 KB, 3150x1601)
415 KB
415 KB JPG
>>7130877
Kuzomari stagnated for years because he wouldn't learn art theory and all he did was draw and draw for hours everyday.
Then one day he decided to learn perspective and form and his art improved by leaps and bounds.
You're on to something OP.
>>
>lifting more is the worst advice
>talk to people is the worst advice

IS THERE ANY! "WORST" advicebi should know about?
>>
>>7135011
Well lifting alone doesn't do anything. You need to eat more so your muscles can grow. And talking to people doesn't lead to becoming social, you need to be accepted by other human beings which you have no control over.
>>
>>7135033
the cns adapts and strengthens regardless. numerous other benefits as well like optimizing hormone levels even without an increase in calories.
>>
>>7130877
You're retarded, and a permabeg judging from your sketch
>>
>>7135063
I'm a gigachad artist who's worked professionally, some of my pieces have had 50k+ faves on newgrounds
>>
>>7130877
TL;DR: Drawn more... (using reference)
lmao
>>
File: tsukihime.jpg (57 KB, 564x564)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>7130877
So what OP is basically saying is to draw while being mindful of what you're drawing? Observing references carefully then applying it for your own stuff?
Dumb question, but isn't the point of "grinding" is to make sure that stuff sticks in your head? Just observing and doing a study of it is difficult to retain in your head for long term memory though, at least for me

Also your pic mogs the crap outta me, so if you're still here OP, I'd like to know more of what you mean.
I'm tired of going around in circles and being inconsistent of every drawing I do, I'd like to get out of that cycle.
>>
>>7136918
explain this image
>>
>draw more
>have to clear my desk
>have to set up my tablet
>have to open the drawing software
>have to gather references (could take hours or days to find something good)
>have to have an idea before doing all this (could take hours or days)
>have to begin studying, problem solving and constructing (which isn't drawing)
>after constructing something, can finally begin to draw
>....after 2 weeks of prep time
>it sucks
>>
>>7139381
same
>>
>>7130877
>>7130878
You might want to google Dunning Kruger Effect.
>>
File: TIP.png (281 KB, 731x881)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
>>7130877
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49R3ZQd3DIw
>>
>>7139381
>>7139417
>have to clear my desk
>have to set up my tablet
>have to open the drawing software
The secret is to do it gradually. Like, now you're reading my post right? Open your drawing software and minimize it, a few minutes later go grab a cup of coffee and when you put it on the desk also clear it. When you're done drinking the coffee set up your tablet before going to the kitchen to wash the cup. Come back and start drawing.
>>
>>7139381
or just grab a sketchbook/clipboard with paper and draw what's around you or in your mind
fucking zoomers, i swear.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.