[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

In your experience. Is the internet a benefit or distraction your personal art journey?
>>
>>7133978
it's only distracting if you're right-wing. conservatives are hopelessly addicted to conflict, not creativity
>>
>>7133978
Mostly distraction.
>>
File: 1537452322792.png (313 KB, 373x362)
313 KB
313 KB PNG
>>7133978
>Is the internet a benefit or distraction your personal art journey?
If we're talking about my art journey specifically then no, it's mostly been beneficial in that I'm able to learn what I need to improve and am able to post here or anywhere else to get feedback. It's never really been an issue for me to draw 3-4 hours in one sitting, sometimes forgetting to eat breakfast, but that's just because I enjoy the drawing process so much. Now if we're talking about the Internet being a distraction in general, then yes. I have this problem where I'll relax to watch a YouTube video and think to myself: "Okay, I'm just going to watch one video," but then that turns into one or two hours of binging videos on topics I don't even care about. This same problem happens whenever I'm on Pinterest or Flickr looking at images I enjoy for reference or as inspiration, which can be distracting for long periods of time. I have a shelf full of books I haven't read and I'm trying to pass my exams to get an entry level IT job. I noticed this becoming a problem when I realized that I can't enjoy silence anymore (I'm almost always listening to a podcast or music) and when reading the Bible I'll start to fall asleep after 15 minutes. I recently installed a blocker on my browser that limits the time I'm on here for about an hour. I'm also trying to stay away from YouTube and I'm going to give myself at least 15 minutes to be in silence either outside or in silence with my thoughts in my house. I just hope this problem isn't permanent and that it is fixable.
>>
Instead of having to submit my work to some unknown entities to get exposure, I can just get a domain name and be my own master of my content.
>>
there are tools to get rid of the internet invented by smart people that you can buy right now

no excuses
>>
>>7133978
Bit of both. It's a great resource, but dangerous if you don't control it.
>>
>>7134033
>buy
>>
File: internet.jpg (91 KB, 1283x1276)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>7134050
this pretty much. I'd rather have the internet than not have it though. 1000 %.
>>
>>7133978
Like all drugs, it's a bit of both.
Regulate your intake and it's fine.
Surrender to your worst impulses and it's very literally a downward spiral into hell.
4chan is right on the precipice of the drop. Watch your step..
>>
really tough one for me. while it's great that there is a lifetime of resources (and free at that) to teach myself, i think i end up spending way too much time trying to figure out what i should be spending my time on. i think a longer term structured class would help me feel more efficient in the use of my time.

i also spend way too much time distracting myself with youtube videos about art and drawing rather than actually drawing.
>>
>>7133978
Benefit because:
>infinite references at my fingertips
Distraction because:
>i spend time on 4chang whereas i could be drawing
>>
>>7134001
Ive had this problem. Watching youtube everyday for like 4 hours or more. And then listening to podcasts the rest of the time.

One day I went outside for a walk, and found someplace with grass. I kid you not, the meme is real, you have to touch grass, just sit there hopefully for a really long time, i started going out with a sketchbook and changed the 4 hours of youtube for that. And now I finally can be alone without some music or podcast, just drawing in silence. I'm in peace now.
>>
>>7133984
Right-wingers are addicted to conflict, and left-wingers are addicted to getting transed on discord.
>>
>>7133978
Both.
Benefits are access to education and examples of good art.
Downsides are that it is easy to waste time like I am right now typing out a post on some retarded dead board I don't care about.
>>
>>7133978
it is good for my art desu
without the internet I would have never been enlightened by the idea of shape language
shape language is very important desu
>>
>>7133978
all the books and guides n the world are meaningless when put up against mental exhaustion. I don't even have the energy to play video games some days. I just lie and wallow in my misery and trauma. You need mental energy to draw and learn how to draw, no matter how long it takes. Chris chan was motivated to draw for his entire life (as good as he is) but I can't muster up the energy to draw even though I'm technically better than him. So that makes him the better artist.
>>
>>7133978
It was a benefit from 2002-2008
All downhill from there, with several sheer cliffs
>>
>>7139388
>motivated to draw for his entire life
not true, he barely drew at all.
>>
>>7133978
a great benefit, but probably because I have an internal filter
>"hey anon, this isn't drawing/modeling/sculpting or beneficial to those things"
>"stop reading/watching that crap"
*boots up art program* just werks. if you're under a certain age or already prone to distractions then you need to find a way to stop being distracted so much. The first thing I do is...
>>7134001
>forget to eat breakfast
I'll put on a pot of coffee or have some tea and just start. 3-4 hours later I'll eat something . Possibly not the best of habits but...idk. But I get work done!
>>
>>7133978
it's an inescapable hinderance. I am addicted
>>
>>7133978
>benefit or distraction
Both. The stuff I see online motivates me to draw, but at the same time it distracts me from drawing.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.