[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I saw a video about this book called Vermis. It contains a lot of art like picrel and I think it's really cool. But I don't have any clue how it was created. I really like the hatched shading and the 'crunchy' overall look. I am a complete art newfag and I don't know shit about it. How would I begin to make stuff like it?
>>
first you need a pencil
>>
>>7134932
What pencil techniques would I use?
>>
>>7134934
Well we can figure that out later, first you need to draw something cool
>>
File: 7-Figure5-1.png (111 KB, 1238x770)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>7134906
texture overlay/costume brushes/halftone dithering
>>7134932
first you need to learn to read
>>
>>7135030
What does any of that mean? Is that a digital process? The dithering in the shading in my image looks digital to me. So do I just draw some stuff on paper then upload it and run it through some filters in gimp?
>>
>>7134906
It kinda looks like a low pass filter (I think that's what it's called)

A lot indie devs use it, it basically limits the colour pallet and by having using 3d models and lighting you can get similar effects

I think if you search for shader pixel lighting you might find some tutorials on it
>>
>>7135080
>shader pixel lighting
I was right in that it's called dithering when used digitally.
https://pixelparmesan.com/dithering-for-pixel-artists/

But the art to me doesn't seem like pixel art, it looks hand drawn with dithering over it.

I really like the 70s-80s fantasy aesthetic of it and I'm not sure how to emulate that.
>>
File: 1698520845720554.jpg (300 KB, 2048x1657)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>7134906
>complete art newfag
My man, im gonna give it to you straight, it gonna take years (I'm betting 5+ years) before you achieve something similar
You need to know shading (light and shadow), proportions, anatomy, figure drawing, learn the type of folds and more
and these things aren't learned overnight. You probably need to start really basic as well, drawing simple shapes in perspective, just to train your observation and motor skills.
>>
>>7135090
Well how about if I were willing to settle for the vibe? Even I were to draw very simple things. I want that harsh, crunchy line drawn aesthetic.
>>
Painted and then run through some sort of screentone/halftone overlay or filter with low resolution noise. However much more important than whatever filter is used is great understanding of shape and values. For this style specifically you want to use a lot of pure darks, selective palette and very little blending.
>>
File: 1708125207736359.png (8 KB, 677x563)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>7134906
you can get similar effects using mspaint in 1bit mode. Take that and put it in PS and add extra paper texture and color on top.
>>
>>7135170
neat
>>
>>7134906
This might be a stretch but to achieve similar effects ive often used After Effects because for this type of stuff its like non destructive photoshop/illustrator with access to a lot more effects and third party plug-ins and all the blend mode/matte features. Obviously you prepare the drawings in something actually meant for draftsmanship first but you can achieve pretty neat stuff just by messing around with halftone plugins, paper textures, shape layers, magic bullet looks, sapphire/boris fx, etc
>>
>>7134906
This was "drawn" by a "buddy" of mine. And by this I mean, I hate the guy but I can't fault his grift.
Like %99 of the art in this book he just prompted a bunch of AI shit and threw it into Procreate.
There he can crop and move shit around; and after getting the layout down he'd throw it through the Screentone filter at like, %3. But a couple of times in a row. It covers all the more visually "obvious" parts that would let people know it's AI. I'm surprised how many people fall for this shit.
>>
>>7136141
>source: trust me bro
>>
>>7136141
I'm sure that sounded funny in your head
https://www.instagram.com/plastiboo/?hl=en
>>
>>7136141
>>
>>7135145
Is it worth learning?
>>
>>7139288
why wouldn't it be?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.