[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What turns me off so hard from making original works is that I need to design every character I draw. It's sucha bother to think of the clothes, the face, the hair, it's an entire extra process.
This made me finally understand why people constantly do fanart or reuse the same design (aka they make an OC). Thing is I'm not a huge media consoomer so I don't really have a lot of characters in mind that fit what I want to draw (I don't want to draw something out of character). I also don't like taking characters from media I didn't consoom, I respect art too much to just draw those characters without knowing them.
Making OC's doesn't really fix my problem, I would design as many characters as drawing I wanna make so there's no point.
I really don't see a way out except getting so good at designing characters that I can whip them up without much thought.
DAE have this issue?
>>
>>7135844
Sounds to me like you don't like designing characters.

I love it personally, all the little things you describe are exactly what I like. I'll spend days just doing breakdowns and close ups of belts, accessories, jewelry, hair, how the character moves, etc, until I can feel them, breathe them.
If it's a bother... maybe don't do it? Draw what you want to draw. And if what you want to draw involves original character designs, then weigh up your options:

Is the pain of designing original characters worth it to achieve your goals? If yes, persevere, if not, change course.
>>
>>7135849
What if I just got over stealing designs
Take a character from some media and change a few things to make them fit what I want. Could just be any random illustration, i don't even have to know where the design is from
>>
>>7135844
I have this same issue, except it's 10 times harder if you're shit at fundamentals.
>>
Wait until OP know everything is not orginal
>>
>>7135844
Op consume the art for the characters you wish to create
>>
>>7135844
Just do quick sketches.
>>
>>7135853
just use them as (huge) design inspirations and change things
>>
>I also don't like taking characters from media I didn't consoom
Who gives a fuck, you like a design - you use the main idea of a design in your own work. It's ok, art police won't come for you.
Also you can pick a song you like, imagine it's your character's theme song and draw them so they would fit the song in question. Or adapt mundane objects into human characters, like rinotuna does.
>>
I don't understand. Just draw the kind of character you like. If you don't like their hair or something, just draw them with different hairstyles until you find one you like. This isn't complicated.
>>
File: math.png (471 KB, 1200x524)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
>>7140927
lidderly me
>>
File: IMG_20211025_041627~4.jpg (76 KB, 666x738)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>7135844
character design is more of an afterthought I write the character first, then I draw what they would look like based on that information.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.