[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 15797564572316.png (317 KB, 596x816)
317 KB
317 KB PNG
is it actually better?
>>
>>7137960
oof 4 years to get worse
>>
show me the fastest improvement EVER
don't care whom or what style
>>
Yes, throwing fast and confident lies and making it not look like absolute shit is hard than most people think. Clearly the one in the left took way more time and planning, while in the left must have been just a 5 minutes doodle

tl;dr anyone can make a polished turd
>>
>>7137960
What a way to back handedly compliment someone
>>
File: file.jpg (529 KB, 2048x2019)
529 KB
529 KB JPG
>>7137960
Unless he is your favorite artist there's no reason to get mad at this, it's just less competition.
Anyway the retard also chose the ugliest drawing of his to make the comparison, this one looks way more appealing.
>>
File: guweiz.jpg (1.02 MB, 976x1500)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>7137964
>>
>>7137979
Oops i'm the retard here, didn't read the tweet he was quoting but still you get my point.
>>7137980
Nice, what book/mag is this from?
>>
>>7137960
Somebody post that Calarts tweet where the person says "when ya style develops" but it's clearly worse, kek.
>>
>>7137983
That’s Ilya kuvshinov’s art
>>
>>7137960
it would've been a better comparison had it been full-body drawings instead of mugshots
>>
>is it actually better?

its called "discovering your style"
>>
first is a fronton view that looks like it was mirrored and then edited a little
right has more shape design, exaggeration and easier to imagine as a saturday cartoon. looks like shinchan or something actually
based on these 2 images alone id say yes theres improvement
>>
>>7138052
The lineart alone in the new piece looks like they used the MSPaint line tool, it's absolutely hideous and kills the piece.
>>
>>7138059
notice how i didnt judge the lineart at all
not that that would really matter in my assessment anyways
>>
>>7137960
Nah, if they can still draw like the left, it's just change not regression. Art isn't just about doing the best rendering. It's good to learn how to exagerate and do different things.

Now that said, the real issue with the drawing on the right is the tangent with the chin and the shirt collar.
>>
File: Miss Censordoll .png (212 KB, 1159x813)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
Here’s mine, 3 years difference
>>
>>7137983
it's from Guweiz's first artbook
>>
>>7138106
Based Orelchad
>>
>>7137960
I wouldn't say so. I mean they went to be more stylized but the shapes ain't even have that cool ass flowing feeling. Utter soul downgrade.
>>
File: 1690430263652365.jpg (4 KB, 204x247)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>7137960
>all those retards at his xitter saying muh style muh shapes
>>
>>7137960
Looks more friendly for American animation.
>>
>>7137960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YOAS7mpOhg
>>
>>7137960
This is what happens when you adapt to a Twitter audience. It's not necessarily a bad thing to do. On anime fandom Twitter there's a large audience who likes the one on the right enough to give a like and retweet, especially if it's a comic or something. Plus they'll come out faster, boosting your engagement and things like that.
>>
File: provsbeginner.jpg (83 KB, 1080x936)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>7137960
>>
>>7137960
It's different. Who cares?
>>
>>7138274
Unironically like left more. Those idealistically styled realism portraits are the absolute blandest shit human culture has ever produced
>>
>>7138274
The way I see it, realism in art shouldn't be the end goal, it should be used as inspiration and guidance for stylized, more appealing works.
>>
>>7137968
so... in order to progress from beg, I need to draw faster... whoa
>>
>>7138274
I think there's some truth to this as drawing from imagination instead of being a human printer does take considerably more skill.
>>
>>7138075
>if they can still draw like the left, it's just change not regression
Exactly. It's experimenting with stylization via abstraction and simplification. And it does take skill to translate 3D form into abstract 2D shape and still have it read as a 3D object. It's very obvious that Beararms is inspired by the cartoonier side of Trigger. But of course for the average anon having a nuanced opinion is impossible, it must be LE BAD or LE GOOD with no inbetween.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>7137960
>is it actually better?
>>
>>7137960
>shape language
this shit has become a "buzzword" expression deserving of hate by how it is thrown around as cope for shit art
>>
File: IMG_4091.jpg (142 KB, 1280x1072)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
Shape language is a legitimate concept that works well when thoughtfully applied, like the Inside Out characters- but this person’s drawing does not have shape language. It just has shapes. They don’t tell me anything about the character.
>>
>>7137960
the left looks appealing and good, maybe not the most technically great piece but the right looks like a middle schooler tracing their favorite western cartoon
>>
>>7138075
it's a regression in taste
>>
>>7137960
The left is a Gloss clone so seems like every artist, even Gloss himself, devolved from that look for some reason.
>>
>>7138959
yea wonder why, its infinitely more appealing than the right imo
>>
>>7139015
To be more unique if everyone was doing it.
>>
>>7138416
I've always wanted to see good examples of shape language in something that isn't aimed at 6 year olds, because "angry strong means his body is shaped like square and red" doesn't really work for something more realistic.
>>
>>7139032
They’re meant to look like a brick, an exposed nerve, a star, not sure about disgust, and a teardrop.
>>
>>7138274
this is because the right is a blank expression so the illustration says nothing
>>
>>7139024
Imo, I think individualism is a double edge sword, and I blame algorithms and social media the most for it.
>>
>>7139032
Look up TF2 character designing.
>>
>>7139061
America is to blame for individualism in art
same face=bad
anime=bad
make abstract drip paintings and kitsch. be "diverse"
>>
>>7139068
>same face=bad
It is if you want the disticnt look Disney and shows like PPG and Spongebob gave us. Literally 90% of the most iconic cartoons in history are western of US origin. Not a single Jap character that isn't part of the big Shonen Line or of game centric division like Yugioh, Pokemon or Digimon is as world wide Iconic as Mickey Mouse. French animation doesn't even exist outside of France.

>anime=bad
Modern anime is very bad because it lacks meaning anymore. Old anime of the 1900 was kino and soulful.
>>
>>7137960
why do no-draws think that every drawing takes the same amount of time to draw
>>
>>7139075
you either don't watch anime, so you don't know good modern shows (bet you don't watch all of them)
or you watch it, which means you like it
>>
>>7139087
>you either don't watch anime, so you don't know good modern shows (bet you don't watch all of them)
Because Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia , and the plethora of titty coomer animes all light a candle next to Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, Lupin the Third, Detective Conan, and even OG Dragon Ball in terms of distinctive art styles, meaningful story telling, creative animation, etc etc. Please. Most of these are all flash over substance compared to what Japs used to produce.
>>
>>7139075
>It is if you want the disticnt look Disney and shows like PPG and Spongebob gave us.
And then those proceeded to just churn out their own flavor of same-facedness. Every disney princess or young attractive character has the same face, every classic CN show has the same art style, etc. Any corporation created art, even if original at first, will only be safely replicated thereafter as long as it prints money.
Also, I'd say french cartoons got a good run until the early 00s all over Europe, just America didn't really get many of them. And dismissing all shonen and game characters is pretty disingenuous, it's like saying
>No western cartoons have worldwide iconic characters outside of Disney and Warner bros
As for non-recognizeable characters, again, America being late/limited in outsider creations, because early 00s in Europe shit like Cardcaptor Sakura, Doraemon, or Shinchan among many were pretty huge.
>>
>>7137960
lmao not at all. that shit on the right is an april fool's joke
the dude replying is a white knight in a shiny sugary coat
>>
>>7139116
anon....
>>
>>7139096
anon, retards like that anon want easy to consume slop. anime with a little bit of originality is poison to them. Why so many anime now a days is mainly just isekai slop with the same art style, since that's the safe option.
>>
File: rs=w_1209,h_585.jpg (108 KB, 1209x585)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>7138959
>Even Gloss himself devolved from that look
Gloss still makes fully rendered paintings on the regular and he switches up his style quite a bit too, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.
>>
File: sharp dress.png (903 KB, 1411x2236)
903 KB
903 KB PNG
>>7137960
It's a stylistic choice, I prefer the one on the left but it's up to the artist to go for their own vision of what they want and who they want to appeal to. Some artists can't pull it off and shy away using the "It's my style" excuse but in this case it's not a lack of ability to execute but aiming at a different target
>>
>>7138106
omg.... so good... holier than me for sure
>>
>>7137960
What the actual fuck is this
It's like an art before and after schizophrenia comparison, holy moley ravioli
>>
>>7138050
>it's called "discovering your style"

Yeah, sure. If discovering your style meant "discovering you have shit taste and are better off trying to mimic others than growing into your asperger's," maybe.
>>
>>7140118
see>>7139085
>>
>>7139032
Bruce Timm. Even the jawlines alone are sufficient.
>>
>>7139928
I keep seeing your art around, give you me your blog so I can confirm you are the anon I've been bumping into several threads
>>
File: batman.jpg (94 KB, 1280x867)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>7140192
My blog is 4chan.org/ic
>>
>>7137988
>Ilya kuvshinov’s
I'm not seeing enough same face troonime sluts so it can't be him
>>
>>7137983
>guweiz.jpg
anon.. read the filename
>>
>>7141215
Do you actually not have a blog or are you still trying to avoid the hackers known as 4chan?
>>
>>7137960
shape language is when cartoon
>>
>>7138106
Absolutely fine. I would
>>
>>7137960
With frens like that who needs enemies
>>
He probably got tempted and started going into the direction of drawing that feels more fun to make instead of what looks better. artistic hedonism basically
>>
>>7140127
I feel like he went too far in after the original BTAS, but that was probably the budget.
>>
>>7137960
>>
>>7142792
Great point anon I hadn’t considered that
>>
>>7137960
covid brain damage
>>
File: 679.png (477 KB, 533x866)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
>>7137987
>>
>>7137960
nah, the kokiyas chick is just eliminating the competition.
>>
>>7142875
Many thanks anon. This pic never gets old.
>>
>find sick art on pinterest
>track down their instagram
>find out that it was from years ago and their style as been streamlined and simplified into oblivion
it's insane how often this happens
>>
File: 1690636003761754.jpg (51 KB, 563x490)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>7137960
Answer's still no
>>
>>7143204
I like the coloring on the middle one most. Last one feels overdeveloped.
>>
>>7143204
The middle just looks more consistent anon. It gives her more character
>>
>>7143204
now THIS is an actual regression
>>
>>7143204
I like the first one the best, aside from the shitty lines. It's the most fluid, the silhouette is easy to read, and the face stands out properly whereas the other two have so many distracting details scattered around that there's no real focus.
>>
>>7143204
Actually depressing.
You can literally see the social media brainrot creeping in and replacing all sense of originality and individuality. Who knows what they might have cultivated had the digital mass of slop not crept in and annihilated their sense of style.
You are what you eat. Consume wisely.
>>
>>7137960
First pic just copied the designs
second pic got its own style. artists take pride of making their own artstyle.

just so happens that artstyle is shit
>>
>>7137960
I think the right is cuter but that's just me enjoying that style.
>>
>>7137980
His art looked pretty stagnant for a year, then in like less than a year went from high-beg to high-int. How do people do this and maintain consistent quality output with marked improvement? I draw a fuckton, but sometimes I'll open an aborted sketch from a year ago that i thought was worthless at the time, only to think "how the fuck did I draw that so well," or see somebody repost something I drew quite literally close to a decade ago and think "huh, wow, I didn't realize I was that good back then."
My improvement was pretty good for the first two years, then everything since (16 years or so) has had a midline of around low-int, with results fluctuating from high-beg to high-int. Sometimes I'll go for weeks at a time when I basically forget how to draw, and have to break out shit like grid copies to get going again.
>>
>>7137960
It does look worse in the render front but it's clearly better in the optimization front, which is crucial if that nigga wants to animate.
>>
>>7147346
I don't think it's appealing enough for animations.
>>
>>7149340
Not for the "white-void" type of animation you see on the regular, but with its color design I bet a good few background stills that complement it would do a lot to make it stand out. Animation isn't just about the character.
>>
>>7143204
I see nothing wrong here, the artists experimented and got better over time. 2013 isn't even bad, it's just a different style
>>
>>7139105
>Every disney princess or young attractive character has the same face
Yet, everyone knows Snow White, Ariel, and Jasmine
>every classic CN show has the same art style
Ed Edd n Eddy does not have the same style as Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy or PPG or Samurai Jack
>I'd say french cartoons got a good run until the early 00s all over Europe
Aside from Asterix and Obelisk, or the one with the long tail leopard monkey, which are you talking about?
>>
>>7146350
post some timeline examples of your work
>>
>>7142875
lmfao
>>7137960
Id be interested if they can take whatever theyre practicing now and combine it with their old render skills
But this right is shit. Those shapes are ugly af
>>
>>7137960
No it clearly got worse
>>
>>7146350
>all that text but no picture
I smell a shitpost.
>>
>>7139032
Allow me to introduce
>>
>>7138274
this is true but also they're not the same thing. Left is a drawing, right is an illustration, there is no drawing done on the right. Its all rendering, so its not a matter of "do right enough and you'll master left". you have to do different things

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.