[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: NFT_Mona_Lisa.jpg (65 KB, 1000x562)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
I want to (eventually) sell my art as NFTs in one or more marketplace, in a blockchain.

Such art can be purchased by people for artistic and/or financial appreciation.
It will also be physical and digital at the same time

Is this wrong in your view for any reason? If yes, why?
(Remember to make better arguments than your average basedtuber, thank you)

>Assume the environment impact is negligible. Less than 4chan's impact, for example
>"Hahahaha show me example of X artist selling good art as NFTs then!"
>I can't, this would probably be considered as "spam" and thus get me banned by the local janny
>I already got banned once thanks to this board, am risking another but I am dreadfully curious
>Thank you for reading this post
>>
>"But anon, why don't you just sell your art to a local art gallery or something? You don't need crypto to sell your art!"

Check pic. rel.
It's from 2019, so today is likely much worse
>>
I wasn't finished and I won't stop until I am done

>This one is from 2018
>>
>Don't quit your day job, anon
>I'm not quitting mine
>>
And a final thorough study with a larger and more variable study sample

>They're all broke, basically

I don't want to end up like Van Gogh, basically.
And I am frankly not sorry about it.
>>
>>7143341
>don’t pyw so you don’t get ridiculed
>get ridiculed anyway
Lmao
>>
>>7143354
Honestly halfway through this post I lost hope I could get any good/legitimate answer of why lots of artists have an anti-NFT bias.

Even though I did see a lot of talented people do amazing work and get to actually sell their work online.

To be honest I have been working on my art for almost a decade and I have yet to see an actual return on my time invested.

AI "art" is another nail in the coffin (not sure if it's the last one)
I'm just tired of everything really
>>
>>7143354
Oh and yeah I'm not a 2D artist, I do 3D.

The reason why I'm here is because I wanted the perspective from 2D artists.
>>
>>7143341
>NFTs
You're very late to that part friend. The music has stopped and the chairs have already been put away, there's nothing left.

>>7143345
>Check pic. rel.
Is that about actual full time artists, or people who also do art as a side-gig and also call themselves artists. I imagine if it includes the later, it can heavily, HEAVILY, skew the data.

>Why don't you read it yourse-
No.
>>
>>7143365
>You're very late to that part friend. The music has stopped and the chairs have already been put away, there's nothing left.

Can't you say the same with art careers and AI?
It seems to me artists will be forced to hybridize their work into a mix of actual artwork/financial speculation (with NFT sales, for example)

>Is that about actual full time artists, or people who also do art as a side-gig and also call themselves artists?

Most artists are side-gig artists trying to become full-time artists.
What kind of question is that, really?

>I will summarize the articles

Most artists out there can't buy a grave to die in, like you. There, happy now?

>Also why don't you stay on the topic?
>>
>>7143372
>Also why don't you stay on the topic?
>"Selling your art as NFTs"
>Articles about artists
I addressed both, what exactly did I say that wasn't on topic?

>Can't you say the same with art careers and AI?
Possibly, we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I'm far more optimistic, and think AI is more limited than we think. The problems with artists 'not making it' have been around well before AI came along. Art is a dream job, and such jobs are very competitive.

>Most artists are side-gig artists trying to become full-time artists.
>What kind of question is that, really?
I'm talking about hobbyists, who also usually title themselves artists. Clearly there is a difference between a hobbyist and someone actively pursuing full time art. Including them would heavily skew the data. Quit being so defensive.

>Most artists out there can't buy a grave to die in, like you. There, happy now?
I understood that much buddy.
Anyway, back to the title - No, I wouldn't bother. You wouldn't even earn the money back you'd pay to turn your art into NFTs. That market has long since crashed. People don't want to purchase jpegs that are freely available otherwise.

If you want to monetise your work, consider selling 3D prints of your sculptures (since your a 3D artist), or selling some stuff on an asset store, or making 3D printed garage-kits, or making dolls/action figurines, or learning to code and making a videogame.
I understand many of these aren't strictly 'visual art', but is that end render the thing you love most, or is it the act of making?
>>
>>7143362
>>7143372
>>7143393
All these words could be bypassed if you just pyw
>>
File: milady.png (269 KB, 400x500)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
>>7143341
>I want to (eventually) sell my art as NFTs in one or more marketplace, in a blockchain.
cool, go for it.
>Is this wrong in your view for any reason? If yes, why?
Not wrong, artists should do whatever they need to get that bag.
The problem with NFT is that the market is fucking dead. And the examples of successful NFTs have more to do with the nexus of crypto (cult)ure, fashion, memes, and branding than the art itself. It reminds me of the fine art world where influencers push the nebulous next big thing.
Examples of successful NFTs include Pudgy Penguins, that monkey shit, and Miladys (before the co-founder was associated with a suicide cult and the price plummeted). If you look at the art itself ... well that's all subjective.
tldr market's dead, a lot of it is mired in bullshit, but hey put some up and see what happens.
>>
>>7143341
>Is this wrong in your view for any reason? If yes, why?
no, not at all.
the previous nft buzz was all built on hype and speculation. even during that time i have seen artists who i followed before nfts existed sell their art as nfts and continue to do so.
it is just a mechanism for sale and transfer of ownership and authentication.
as a plus you might get secondary sale income.
you can find artists who do it and the market accepts it. but you will find many voices online who are against it but who cares?
>>
No one buy NFTs for their artistic value, but by the promise that it will be worth 10000x more in a future, can you promise that to your buyers or at least scam them into thinking you can?
>>
>>7143477
>>7143693
>>7145171
these words too
>>
>>7143393
>I addressed both, what exactly did I say that wasn't on topic?

You (kinda) went off-topic because I specifically asked for reasons to why it is wrong, I'm implying morality or purely on a "how you feel" level

>(since I do not believe practical arguments, all anti-NFT sentiments come from a gatekeeping/irrational point of view. Yes, you might not succeed financially but the same could happen from a non-crypto financial point of view AKA galleries and/or regular sales)

>Possibly, we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I'm far more optimistic, and think AI is more limited than we think. The problems with artists 'not making it' have been around well before AI came along. Art is a dream job, and such jobs are very competitive.

I do not see an optimistic near-future reality, which is why I see selling your art as NFTs will become a need from a financial point of view.
As a matter of fact, the art world has been involved with financial/rich speculators for a looooong time.
There is nothing new about it, at all.
Example: The Medici Family during the Renaissance.
In reality, adding financial speculative value to artwork might become a necessity for even the regular "successful" artist out there, just to stay afloat financially.

There is no reason to limit yourself financially like that.
>>
>>7143393
>I'm talking about hobbyists, who also usually title themselves artists. Clearly there is a difference between a hobbyist and someone actively pursuing full time art. Including them would heavily skew the data. Quit being so defensive.

If you read or at least skimmed through the articles you would've know that those artists are making a fraction of minimal wage. This implies they are trying to succeed financially, which is where the line between struggling artist and hobbyist is drawn.
Besides that I can only say you are being disingenuous and using semantics to derail the argument, thus I do not take you seriously or at heart in this part.

(Unless you can prove me that "hobbyists" make 6K a month with their own "hobby". Either way, the IRS taxes that regardless, so it is income whether you like it or not)

>Anyway, back to the title - No, I wouldn't bother. You wouldn't even earn the money back you'd pay to turn your art into NFTs. That market has long since crashed. People don't want to purchase jpegs that are freely available otherwise.

First of all, if it is Ethereum yes it would be hard to earn your money back due to the high fees...
… except we have other, cheaper and more effective blockchains, such as Solana.

Launching a 1/1 NFT (one of a kind piece, for example) costs less than 5 USD, including a permanent storage of the file (ArWeave, for example)
So this type of argument hasn't been relevant since 2017-2018, sorry.
(and yes, there are other great artists publishing and minting their artwork on such blockchains, too. Ethereum isn't the sole blockchain to go anymore)

Second of all, what makes you think the NFT market will stay dead forever? Do you have access to insider info? What about a crystal ball?
This isn't an argument, just pure speculation.
>>
File: Monkey_Creal.jpg (647 KB, 1302x1192)
647 KB
647 KB JPG
>>7143393
And third of all
>People don't want to purchase jpegs that are freely available otherwise
You can own digital art, even before NFTs. It's called copyrights. NFT projects (not all, but some do) allow NFT owners to use the specific NFT's artwork for their own products.

>Check pic. rel.

Paradoxically you're telling me uncreative ways to monetize artwork, which is entirely a creative endeavor and craft.
>>
>>7148105
The problem is that as others have said -- no one is buying NFTs anymore. That market is pretty much dead.

Could it get revitalized? Possibly? But highly unlikely. Everyone has done their rug pulls and left.

While there might've been a few people genuinely buying NFTs for their artistic value at the start of the NFT hype train, majority of NFT purchases were in hopes that the value would increase over a few years. A promised wonderland where everyone on the planet wanted to buy and collect NFTs.

This just isn't reality. Unless you're a prominent artist or influencer who is able to willingly scam and audience of people who trust you or you're in possession of some high quality meme that can capture the hearts of the delusional and lonely looking for the world's shittiest community, you're not going to be making bank. Again, the ship has sailed and seeing this post in 2024 made me double take that I hadn't traveled back in time.

No one is stopping you from selling NFTs of your work. But considering you don't even have the confidence to post your own work here or even have the implication of a charismatic presence that can manipulate others -- I highly doubt it's worth your time or energy.
>>
File: NFTs_2021.jpg (686 KB, 2000x1000)
686 KB
686 KB JPG
>>7148125
>Could it get revitalized? Possibly?
NFTs will be revitalized when the 2020s nostalgia wave hits. Considering nostalgia waves typically cycle in 20 years, the 2020s wave will be in the 2040s. Middle-aged zoomers will be reminiscing about the good old covid years. Around 2041 will be a good time to cash in on the NFT resurgence.
>>
>>7148103
>>7148105
>>7148110
>>7148125
>>7148167
lmao

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.