[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

the video made sense to me but his work is still permabeg tier
>>
>>7150374
Iterative learning is 100% the best and only reliable way to learn art.
Hoarding trivia is useless. Watching a million tutorials is useless.
Tracing a picture, then tracing it but in construction form, then eyeballing it, then drawing it again from imagination. That gives you immediate results.
Drawing a shrimp without reference then looking at reference and drawing another shrimp comparing your original drawing to the reference. That gives immediate results.
Even drawabox gives immediate results even if they're incredibly tiny and mostly reflected on line quality and muscle memory.
Basically any art instruction that makes you draw more is good. Any art instruction that makes you consume more art instruction is bad. Art is a sport, not a theoretical science.
>>
>>7150374
Sycra is shit. The last video that I ever watched from his channel was that cringe one years ago where he "revealed" his past life "struggles", crying like a faggot for some depression bullshit. I lost any little bit of "respect" I had for the guy. He isn't good enough to give him a pass to his self-pity emo tearjerk bullshit. Far from it.
>>
>>7150410
>Tracing a picture, then tracing it but in construction form, then eyeballing it, then drawing it again from imagination. That gives you immediate results.

did you watch the iterative drawing video? is this your own interpretation of the methodology?

personally i'm willing to consider any type of practice with a fast feedback loop but the poor results he's shown makes me believe it isn't enough.
>>
>>7150439
At a certain point you do have to account for taste. Art is also largely about aesthetic standards. Drawabox is a more extreme example where the guy is technically competent at perspective but cannot draw an appealing image for the life of him.
>>
Iterative Drawing the way Sycra formulates it doesn't really work, because you're not working off of reference images.

Cognitive Drawing by Jason Brubaker, on the other hand, is the ideal version of iterative drawing.
>>
>>7150458
>Iterative Drawing the way Sycra formulates it doesn't really work
And that's why learning to draw is such a fucking chore, even when the talking heads give the right advice they somehow manage to lead you astray.

Do the shrimp thing.
https://prrb.tumblr.com/post/30177790499/shrimp-method
That's it.
>>
>>7150410
>>Tracing a picture, then tracing it but in construction form, then eyeballing it, then drawing it again from imagination. That gives you immediate results.
>Drawing a shrimp without reference then looking at reference and drawing another shrimp comparing your original drawing to the reference. That gives immediate results.
I agree with these but that's not the iterative drawing Sycra describes
His method is more useful for /int/s who are trying to design characters.
>>
sycra annoys me because he had decent potential and wasted it trying to chase "his style" which is just being as aesthetically unappealing as possible. if that's your thing, fine, but it's a waste
>>
File: sycra_sephiroth.png (1.4 MB, 1022x710)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
>>7150445
>>7150439
>>7150813
Yeah I agree, Sycra's drawings are technically proficient, but the guy has no taste.
>>
sycra's problem is that he is terrified of copying art. i've watched most of his sketchbook tours and shit. he is legitimately afraid of copying other people's drawings to learn. he never does it, ever. he is the ultimate example of why the "dude don't copy anime just learn to draw from life then derive the style from first principles LOL" meme advice does not fucking work. he would be so much better if he actually studied art he liked...if there even is any art he likes.
>>
>>7150999
Checked trips. That actually makes sense. Great art is build on top of earlier great art. You copy the best, and hopefully you improve what you take from them, or atleast you absorb the best of them as good as you can. Sycra is like a rock unable to absorb anything new or different or appealing. He just doesn't evolve. In my opinion it's all about his mental issues.
>>
>>7150826
>>7150813
>no taste
as in, not your taste
that belt though looks very flat and tiny and out of place.
>>
>>7150374
Qrd on iterative drawing
>>
>>7152745
Draw thing, study thing, draw thing again, study thing again, draw thing again.
>>
>>7150826
looks like Gabe+
>>
>>7150826
>technically proficient
>no appeal whatsoever
Hits too close to home
>>
>>7150374
Watching the iterative drawing tutorial made me stop overthinking and just sit down and draw which was a good thing for my art progress. For that reason I think it's a great video for every overthinker noobie on this forum to watch. I don't really like his art either but who cares
>>
>>7150374
>do you get better at drawing from drawing a lot!?
as opposed to not drawing at all?
>>
>>7150813
its never too late for him to change this
>>
>>7150374
what a shit design. His comic is soulless pseud kino.
>>
>>7150999
>sycra's problem is that he is terrified of copying art.
He is like me fr fr.
I often end avoiding refs as much ss possible because I don't want to end up just copying the thing and just tacking on some other details.
>>
>>7156535
separate out study session and imagination session. copy references for an hour, then draw your own art for 2 hours.
>>
File: 1710768770440353.jpg (63 KB, 375x455)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Sycra doesn't understand beauty, which is what has always held his art back.

It's sad, but some people just lack a soul.
>>
>>7156853
Thing is I quickly burn out when doing fundies/studies.
BUT ON OTHER HAND I just did the shrimp tutorial, half-assedly, but I did it, so there is hope.
Human figures just require a lot of accuracy and I sure as hell lack that.

Guess I will just give your advice a try. Thanks.
>>
Sycra is skilled, he's just got unimaginably dogshit taste.
>>
>>7150374
>>7150421
>>7150445
>>7150813
>>7150826
>>7150999
>>7152857
>>7156873
>>7156975

sycra is the ultimate example of someone who spends all their time thinking about art as a concept and theorycrafting bullshit.

he's like a robot trying to dissect every technical detail of art and how it works logically but misses the entire point of why humans make art, the man is soulless and has no creative bone in his body.

the funny thing is he's not technically proficient either, high beg at best.
>>
>>7156970
>Thing is I quickly burn out when doing fundies/studies.
as a beg, even 30 mins a day will make a difference. ganbatte, anon
>>
>>7157253
>>7157253
>>7157253
>>7157253
>>7157253
Ok.
>>
>>7150826
>technically proficient, but no taste
man, what an indictment. but you're so right. so many anime-style dudes from that pocket of the internet have like no sense of aesthetic whatsoever. which is nuts, because they like anime, which is heavy on the aesthetics. just not very creative i guess?
>>
any underrated teachers who have great taste ? I'm thinking very aesthetic stuff like Krenz, and even Aldoori and Sinix to an extent
>>
>>7158819
They don't understand that the anime aesthetic is calligraphic in nature. It has a set of rules (and anti-rules) that need to be followed for the recipe to work.

Since the average westoid is fiercely individualistic about muh style and western education puts these ideas of "pioneering originality" in their heads, these types of anime fans draw 'individualist' anime styles that are extremely bizarre. They lack an understanding of what makes anime aesthetically interesting to begin with, and deviate where they shouldn't deviate. It was actually far worse in the beginning, like with that how to draw anime book and the memes it spawned.

This doesn't mean that anime style is a monolith, far from it. But most westoid artists who try to cross breed anime into their style are doing it ass backwards. They're copying the copies of copies and running them through a western beauty design sensibility (pushing novelty and de-idealization of symbolic representations,) creating truly hideous abominations that are repulsive to look at.

Sycra is a weird case because like that anon said, he is technically proficient and clearly skilled. He seems able to shift around stylistically a lot as well, and he's at his best when he's making things that are more westoid derived. It's when his weeb impulses kick in that everything turns into a pile of pointy nonsense. It's like he internalized the western cartoon design philosophy about exaggerated shape design (mainly triangles) and tried to smash it together with anime, which follows the philosophy of exaggerated IDEALIZATION. These two modes of thought are incompatible and so his work looks like the work of a genetically spliced together mutt.

Ideally if someone wants to learn how to draw authentic looking anime, you have to do what the japs do: learn calligraphic principles, and consume from past styles in that culture, then discard all western design sensibilities.
>>
>>7150374
I can’t put my finger on why I don’t find this art particular impressive or pleasant. Does anyone know what would make it better?
>>
>>7159675
I don't think he looks at reality enough. He seems to design things from a limited visual library (maybe because he doesn't like to 'copy',) and so everything he makes seems inbred in a weird way, or somehow generic.
I think he leans too hard on the shape design to carry characters especially. There's a distinct lack of interesting accessories, details, and function. It's all just kind of superficial, pointy candy.
>>
>>7159675
the horns are too try hard i think
>>
>>7158847
Tezuka was inspired by Disney you kind of sound full of shit
>>
>>7161178
Lets be real Disney and his artists are not of the same stock as modern western artists.
Would a Tezuka born in the 2010s have made Astro Boy thanks to Bluey?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.