[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: ghJJsiWizks.jpg (858 KB, 1221x953)
858 KB
858 KB JPG
How do you even study color?
>>
Whatever you do, DON'T paint from life. That's a crutch!
>>
>>7150674
pyw
>>
File: meds map color appeal.png (811 KB, 1920x1040)
811 KB
811 KB PNG
>>7150666
Med's Map has a good lesson on this, check the vct
tl;dr
>find images that use color palettes you like
>create a color palette from them without color picking
>make an abstract blobby painting using those colors
>smear them around a little bit using the smudge/blend tools
>sketch on top of that
>use the colors to create a portrait
>>
>>7150666
use ai
>>
>>7150666
You can't, it comes naturally with the talent and genes
>>
>>7150891
This.
>>
>>7150666
You study it I presume
>>
File: -13-7.jpg (1.48 MB, 1784x2000)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
>>7150666
Got a name for the artist in the OP pic?
>>
>>7150891
There was a young fanartist I used to follow on Twitter who had really beautiful colors in her works. People kept asking her how she does it and how she learned, she ended up replying with something about color theory, looking at photos with good colors and the usual stuff, but then admitted that she didn't really study these things and just naturally picks what looks good.
>>
>>7150666
>demon girl
>evil trips
I'm not giving you the secret to color!
>>
>>7150666
>>7151144
Color is one of those subjects where learning fundies is useful, but taste is ultimately the thing that matters.
>>
>>7151130
seok98
>>
>>7151130
Got a name for this artist?
>>
>>7151154
>A fat, cheetos smeared idiot can become a master chef just because of his taste
This is what sounds to me when you american fags claim that taste can be grinded
>>
I don't know. You can't know what colors someone used because they will draw overtop their own drawing and colors mix, and they apply filters after, so the color thats on the drawing isn't the color thats on their brush.
>>
>>7151320
Guang Ho
>>
>>7151942
I'm going to make the assumption that your reply has more to do with you misunderstanding my point, rather than you actually disagreeing with me. When I say that taste is more important than color theory, I don't mean that taste is more important regardless of whether or not it is bad, but rather, that having good taste, but little knowledge of color theory, is more important than having knowledge of color theory, but also bad taste. Your cheeto man analogy illustrates this well, as the person with poor taste in food will have a hard time becoming a cullinary genius, just as the person with poor taste in color will have a hard time creating artwork with a mood that resonates with people. And no, I don't think taste is something you grind, but something you acquire. This can happen at any point in life, which is why some people give off the illusion of naturally being gifted in the arts.
>>
>>7151513
hoooook
>>
>>7150780
Those early lessons from med's map really helped with color.
I also did some blind color studies with that technique.
>>
>>7152226
>blind color studies
?
>>
>>7152232
Same way you study drawings: first you do a copy, then try to recreate it without the ref. So I'd do the colors like in those videos (eyeballing, no eyedropper), then try to recreate the palette on a blank canvas with no ref.
>>
>>7150674
>>7150825
>>7150891
>>7151145
>>7151154
>>7151942
Works or GTFO
>>
>>7152267
eyeballing something like OP pic is like impossible, and color picking it makes even less sense
>>
>>7150666
if you can paint in greyscale, then you can do the same but in color.
>>
>>7150666
if someone downloaded the Bill Perkins Color Theory Bootcamp from OCC could you please upload it on gofile or mega /pixeldrain ...i would be eternally grateful
>>
>>7152473
They are hard stuck in your mom's arse
>>
>>7152473
pay for it piggy
oink oink

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.