[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1699277121456930.png (3 MB, 1060x1499)
3 MB
3 MB PNG
Help me settle an argument, /ic/. This is an official movie poster. My friends say this art is /beg/ tier, flat, and ugly. They didn't even think this was official. How would a /beg/ be hired to make movie posters if it was that bad?
>>
>>7152754
Art is fine, it's just a very shitty poster. It's like a 2010s tumblr collage in the worst way. Nothing about this is readable or eye catching so nobody can tell what the poster is even advertising.
>>
>>7152754
Like other anon said, the individual pieces are fine, problem is the composition. I'm going to guess the movie is one of those summer beach episode type, and they tried to make the poster look like holiday scrapbook (down to the character outlines looking unevenly cut with scissors), but it just looks cluttered and messy.
>>
Quite a few of the faces and bodies are off, yeah.
>>
>>7152754
it's a really fun poster. although i haven't watched it, i'm sure it reflects the anime's vibe.
as someone with a graphic design background, i can gurantee that everything there is intentional and professional. it sends a clear message that this is a summer comedy for school girls.
what did your friend expect to see? can you give an example of what your friend considers "professional", so we can all laugh at him?
>>
Shizuku my wife ahhh
>>
>>7152754
its professional because it is intentional
>>
>>7152754
The characters were stylized to look like stickers. It's referencing a weird hobby biological girls like to do called "scrapbooking".
>>
>>7152754
They hate it because it's le funny to shit on love live artstyle, there is nothing wrong with that poster, i wonder if your friends are capable of improving that "/beg/ tier" art
>>
Your friend needs to post their work
>>
>>7152754
It looks like they're just random character frames from the film, and not exactly the best representation of the 'art' of the franchise as a whole.
As for 'how it's flat'; look at how the girls at the top, and the second down on the right are shaded - there's no shadow dipping into where their eye socket would be, no shadow from their brow, the light doesn't round on the cheek at all, they apparently have no cheek bones, etc. It does make them look very flat.
This is fine for a single frame of animation mind you, but noticeable on a poster.

That said, I kinda like the poster, it's got a cutesy, collaged page of a diary look to it.
>>
>>7152754
My only issue with the poster is all the elements blend in way too much.
>>
>>7152754
The art looks like a 3D model made in Blender.
>>
File: 1710141755713702.png (3.6 MB, 1400x2048)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB PNG
>>7152891
To give another anime example, something like picrel. I think the example is how my friends like stuff with better shadows like how >>7152978 pointed out. Obviously the poster in the OP pic is very stylized though.
>captcha: WWRY
>>7152944
>>7152930
My friends don't draw, I'm the only one who draws, albeit I'm a /beg/. I could maybe draw individual heads like it but I couldn't compose something like the poster.
>>
File: 1706407035267466.jpg (496 KB, 800x789)
496 KB
496 KB JPG
>>7152978 is right and you're all fucking western retards with a power-level of zero. 'Stylization' is not a valid excuse when something is clearly a subset of another 'super-style', in this case, modern moe. Given that point of reference, I can observe a range of issues like misaligned & flat faces (Kanata), poor hair shapes (Lanzhu), and unappealing cheek definitions at oblique angles, applying to >>7152930 as well. More universally, I also find issue in the shapes of their clothes: Ayumu's blazer is flat and all of their skirts look bad. The pleats are a mess especially. Keep in mind that no rendering is required at all to rectify these issues, only better shapes and lines, as is the essence of anime.
Hell, even calling it Nijigasaki's art style (for the animation, specifically) is no defense, as I've corresponding album covers on my PC with far more polish than the OP poster.
>>
>>7153670
Can you fix the drawings? Or are you just all talk
>>
>>7154296
>just redraw everything in this incredibly busy image with tons of overlapping elements bro
Tell the production team to give me the layers or fuck off.
>>
>>7154312
Ok, fix the worst one then
>>
>>7154339
No.
>>
>>7154340
You are just talk, you don't know what you are talking about and worst of all you don't draw, classic no-draw
>>
>>7154342
I don't give a shit what you idiots think so I'm sure as hell not going to waste time convincing you.
>>
>>7154345
Convince of what? You can't draw your opinion doesn't matter
>>
>>7152754
thats very nice art imo. dont forget art is a matter of taste. some people have bad taste though maybe.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.