[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What is, objectively speaking, the best drawing exercise?

What drawing exercise is, subjectively, (you)r favorite?

And what drawing exercises do you think are ineffective and/or suboptimal?

You may list multiple exercises for each question.
>>
>>7153238
Drawing
>>
drawing from life
>>
>>7153243
yes, that is indeed an ineffective and suboptimal exercise.
>>
>>7153248
Explain why
>>
>>7153255
I don't know. You're the one who said it was ineffective.
>>
>>7153265
Nigga imma come to your house and oil you up and buttrape you to the point you'll have a limp and each time you see a black person you'll be reminded how you got BLACKED by a 6'4 bull

Now explain... how?
>>
>>7153270
I like life drawing! Nothing better than drawing the arse of my wife's bf undulating in a vertical axis, after all.

I'm just confused as to why you think it's ineffective. I'm open to a civil discussion.
>>
>>7153238
Figure drawing by far

Try to draw a human body in 2 or 5 minutes, no details just the shape using confident strokes

Thats the best

you can learn all the anatomy you want, but if it looks stiff it will be lifeless

If your art is alive, you have a wider repertory to draw
>>
File: girls band cry.jpg (84 KB, 496x661)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>7153238
boxing stuff and rotating it in every direction
>>
>>7153238
copy bridgman
>>
>>7153294
is that your art, anon?
>>
>>7153238
>What is, objectively speaking, the best drawing exercise?
Drawing from reference and then redrawing from memory.
>What drawing exercise is, subjectively, (you)r favorite?
I genuinely love drawing boxes. Very appealing and simple shapes, and if something goes wrong you can tell right away.
>And what drawing exercises do you think are ineffective and/or suboptimal?
Drawing aimlessly without applying what you learn to the art you want to do.
>>
>>7153238
>What is, objectively speaking, the best drawing exercise?
Memory drawing
>What drawing exercise is, subjectively, (you)r favorite?
Memory drawing, especially if done multiple times in a row, you see gains so fucking quick. Besides that, I find 15-20m gesture/figure very relaxing. I use croquiscafe.
>And what drawing exercises do you think are ineffective and/or suboptimal?
Every single one if you haven't learned how to copy accurately. Mindless grinds. Following courses that claim to be complete and cover everything.
>>
>>7153563
>if you haven't learned how to copy accurately
So how do you do this?
>>
File: accuracy.png (342 KB, 2104x1488)
342 KB
342 KB PNG
>>7153659
>>
>>7153661
So wouldn't this just be, "keep drawing with this type of shit in mind/trying to identify this shit" until it's accurate?
>>
>>7153666
yes and comparing your image vs the ref when you're done (like overlaying it on top)
so you can note down where you were off and improve for the next drawing
>>
File: pepe the mage.jpg (38 KB, 673x677)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>7153536
>>7153563
>memory drawings
based wizards. if there truly is any "secret" drawing exercise out there, it's this one
>>
>>7153673
What if I can't even trace a photograph and can't figure out what I should be doing differently? I cannot seem to grasp what exactly I should be attempting to mark with lines, or what I should be trying to achieve with any given individual line. It would be simple if I could somehow extrapolate what a drawing of something might look like just from observing it, but that isn't something that comes naturally to me.

The things I instinctively want to mark with lines are highlights and the parts of the subject's surface that are closest to the viewer/camera, which so far as I can tell is 100% wrong.
>>
>>7153833
It really depends. Generally speaking, you want to capture the main forms, so the outline, where clothes begin or end, main folds in said clothes, facial features, any outstanding details (like writing on a t-shirt). How detailed you get depends on what you are trying to get out of the drawing, and also things like how big your drawing is (clusters of details in smaller drawings just look messy), or what the focus is (if the focus is the face, draw more of those details, and less details elsewhere). Some people also choose to draw lines where shadows begin/end for example. What works or what doesn't is mostly a matter of trial and error. If you are drawing someone's face and draw every single wrinkle, skin mark, eyelash, etc. and it looks messy, next time try doing it simpler, skip the extraneous details and focus on the main bits. I'd suggest going through the book Keys to Drawing (the first half is enough), it's what helped me most to learn both how to copy accurately, as well as what to focus on/keep when drawing from life, and what can be ignored.
>>
File: Grip Strength.jpg (34 KB, 620x349)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>7153238
It's best to get a grip strength trainer. And squeeze it every day. 5 sets a day until failure. Grip strength is often overlooked by amateurs.
>>
>>7155137
how to train sphincter grip training?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.