[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1653631980_b.jpg (272 KB, 1200x901)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
Does random doodling, in your opinion, improve your drawing skills to any significant degree? You're not practicing strict observation, precise lines, correct proportions, difficult perspective, rendering, or anything that seems to approach true learning. If you're out at a restaurant somewhere, is it worth taking out your sketchbook and doodling the people you see around you, or is that just a meme from the Disney days?
>>
>>7156284
A significant degree? No. But keeping up the daily motor skills, even if you aren't striving towards improvement, will only help you keep the routine of art, which isn't bad. But doodling too much, like without focus, direction, observation, etc., can be stagnating. You'll end up with Chris Chan art.
>>
>is it worth taking out your sketchbook and doodling the people you see around you
yeah, that's still improves your observation and visual library
>>
>>7156284
are you stupid? Drawing people your see around you in real life is studying
>>
>>7156339
it's not precise. you're only getting a glance.

if you think that's enough to truly study a subject, you must not be good at drawing
>>
>>7156342
You are not studying in the sense of doing a lengthy analysis. Your real life subject is going to move around. This is a different kind of practice. The goal is to capture an impression of the people you see, get at the essence of their unique characteristics or the way they move. You are practicing how much you can commit to memory with a quick glance. It's more about learning to draw the way a thing feels than how it literally looks. You don't want all your characters to be a stiff collection of memorized lines with generic faces, do you anon?
>>
>>7156284
my random doodles are 100x better than my serious drawings. The doodles are expressive, full of soul and energy, the anatomy is good, then when I draw something serious it becomes stiff, takes twice as long, and the anatomy is shit.
>>
>>7156284
it implies that you're drawing for fun and not wasting your time by browsing this shithole
>>
File: 20231228_102815.jpg (1.8 MB, 3000x4000)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
Random doodling is how ideas are visualized,the process as much of a tool as the paper you draw on. You fool around, only a vague idea of what you want to draw,and the synthesis of intent and random chance appears. It need not be "good",and should not be held to any standards, not even by you, because they are notes to yourself, research and development, not for true public consumption as yet. This picture is but one of a few dozen design sketches I needed to pursue before attempting to draw the strip involving one character introducing five alternative versions of herself. Not only should bear some resemblance to the main character, but it required the writer part of me to think up reasons for their existence and the trsppings of their continuum all in a rectangle 2"×5",just measured out what space I had to work, and after designing the elements of the scene, I then drew more to balance out each part with roughs,something that I could do in Photoshop in seconds if I were assembling the panel from.parts. I will post the final results.
>>
File: IMAG007.jpg (271 KB, 1078x710)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>
>>7156284
There's probably something to be said for honing the skill of drawing correctly in a single go, rather than allowing for any mistakes, so it's probably good to do. I remember owning some art book where the artist swore by it as a daily exercise
>>
File: IMG_2339.png (851 KB, 800x600)
851 KB
851 KB PNG
>>7156284
Yeah it all improves your skills, even if it’s just practicing your observation by having to properly LOOK at the people around you, or if it’s just revising and reinforcing things you already know
Kim Jung Gi and Katsuya Terada doodled any time they could, Terada even calls himself rakugaking, “doodle king”
>>
>Does random doodling, in your opinion, improve your drawing skills to any significant degree?
no.
entertaining yes but does nothing
it's leas resistance what you already know recycling no new input
>doodling the people you see around you,
yes.
>>
1 week of studying=1 year of doodling
>>
Yes it can help

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.