[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Classrooms-_11-1950-60_s.jpg (1.03 MB, 1883x2520)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
How many anons here are actually "classically" or "fomally" trained in an academy or by a teacher who belongs to a noble lineage of art? I see so many insanely skilled painters here, who just drop their art in the draw thread and never give advice or reply to any other anons, and it makes me feel like they have access to knowledge that the rest of his don't have. The video courses, artbooks, and advice given in the various stickies of the generals here don't even seem to be able to help a day 0 beginner cross the bridge towards the high quality stuff I see those anons producing.

I don't know. How important is it, in your view, to just go and subscribe to a school like Watts Atelier for 2 years and to just not come back to /ic/ until you're really skilled? For those of you who are really skilled, how did you get there?
>>
>>7158551
I formally trained myself.
>>
File: 1701950990009804.png (141 KB, 590x469)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>7158607
>>
>>7158551
I'll bite. Am formally trained. No ego, just love the process for its own sake and it was a dream come true for me. Spanning sculpture, drawing and painting. I am one of the anons that has supplied this board with textbooks that haven't seen the light of day in decades, sometimes centuries. I obtain and scan and share without credit. We do give advice and crits however there are very few of us that are trained in this way to this degree. I think most anons are just skilled and taught by other means and there is nothing wrong with that.

>2 years
Depends on your goals. If you're trad 2 years is a drop in the bucket and it's a life long steady process. Nulla dies sine linea. If you are using it as a jumping point to get to other things it can be enough.

>come back to /ic/
There is no real reason to come back to /ic/. I am here because I was on 4chan since it first came to be and I stumbled upon this place and never left. I visit every few years thinking something would change but its all the same bait threads and shitposts. /ic/ is the last board I visit these days. Quality of artwork has deteriorated since ca.org days. Some people get something out of the artbook thread but most content there isnt really my thing. The amount of video courses and artbooks here is detrimental. The sticky was utterly shit and i dont know if they finally improved it. Is brent eviston still talked about? I think his video and book should be the git gud sticky but the mods never listened and closed the good threads and left the shitposts up.

In relative terms, formal study isnt a silver bullet. Not everyone is cut out to draw and paint and sculpt, but most can be taught to do better than they would learn on their own. Formally trained students do have to varying degrees ability to accurately judge basic things like proportion value shape design color atmosphere and so on as part of a deeper process. Giving crit becomes repetitive and boring and time wasting.
>>
>>7158625
draw a kangaroo from imagination
>>
>>7158625
>brent eviston
Is he really that good? I have an instinctive revulsion towards him because some anon kept shilling him for 2 years, but I'm open to changing my mind. If possible, could you post your work? (just a sketch is fine) What makes him so much better than other people like Loomis and Steve Huston?
>>
>>7158551
I'm not sure an "art institute" counts as formal training because it's useless and I ended up teaching myself 99.9% of the time off books.
I heard similar stories from others, including people that went to art college so it's not just bad luck.
Nowadays they're more interested in making money than filtering or expelling bad artists so you end up with self-taught artists as graduates.
>>
>>7158636
>What makes him so much better than other people like Loomis and Steve Huston?
>NTA
No way in hell he's better than Loomis or Huston (or Vilppu-sama)
Don't get me wrong, he's good, really good but not that good, those 3 are literal art Gods.
>>
File: Legend.jpg (181 KB, 1200x745)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>7158636
>>7158680
There's a pantheon of Art Gods that teach and Vilppu is the numba one by far, not a single other artist, not even Watts can come close to our lord and savior.
>>
File: Bohemian.jpg (55 KB, 852x1136)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>7158682
Based
>>
>>7158551
I learned the most I ever had from an atelier plus a lot of practice.
>>
>>7158680
i did brent's basic course and parts of his figure drawing course, and in my useless opinion the basic course is good for never picked up a pencil b4 to understanding the basics of drawing from life while his figure course is pretty mediocre unless you only want to draw accurately from life, ive been studying vilppu and hampton slowly and theyre better once you understand the basics
>>
>>7158551
I have no training whatsoever, I just come here for laughs

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.