[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: nibs_and_lines.jpg (38 KB, 400x349)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Art Supply Thread: Dip Pens Edition
>>
Do you have a recommendation for pen ink and nib holders?

I'm assuming you would recommend any of the nibs in the image.
>>
>>7203571
You'd have to check which nibs fit which holders first. I'm not too picky, even the cheapo plastic holders are good for me. There's also differences between asian and western nibs. The Hunt ones are made by Speedball, the 102 is pretty much the gold standard for comic drawing. I don't really like japanese nibs, as they feel stiff to me for some reason. But yeah, go for them if you want.
>>
>>7203564
I have all those pens except the Osmiroid and the Hunt 512. They're all garbage. Gillott blue nibs all the way.
>>
>>7203571
If you're looking for recs then check out the Leonardt general drawing nib. It's more flexible than traditional manga style nibs so it might be harder to get used to but it's feel nice to work with. Very expressive ink with little effort. As for ink I'm using Blick's black cat india ink and I can't tell the difference between it and Speedball, It's waterproof too if you wanted to use it with other media.
>>7203611
I have a 512. if you like thinner, more even lines it could be worth trying.
>>
File: IMG_20240126_042511.jpg (285 KB, 990x1320)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>7203571
Personally I use Korean "Memory" brand nib holders because they're made from wood and because I'm used to them. For ink I'm currently using Dokumentus ink from Rohrer & Klingner which has amazing flow and looks great on paper and has a nice sheen.
>>
>>7203564
Speaking of dip pens, why the fuck is Speedball garbage the only option in most physical stores?
Speedball quality is dogshit but they aren't gonna fix their shit since there's virtually no competition.
>>
>>7203726
its a niche of a niche market they are probably just more accessible to retailers
>>
>>7203564
What happened to these threads, feel like they used to be more frequent
>>
>>7203726
You probably live in America, Speedball is an american company. That's it really. And the bulk of the attention dip pens get comes from the calligraphy crowd, at least these days.

>>7203838
People are legit drawing less, we used to have constant sketchbook threads but now they're gone.
>>
>>7203695
Is that the fountain pen ink? A local store has it, they reccomended it as archival (as the dokumentus name implies). I'm planning on getting it. Used to draw with rapidographs, but it seems like Rotring just discontinued the 250ml bottle for their drawing ink. I read that it's not really suitable to use fp ink with dip pens though.
>>
>>7203875
>You probably live in America,
Speedball actually gets exported all over the place. You can even find Spedball nibs in Japan and Korea.
>>
>>7203875
Another issue is that anons who do draw and get good end up leaving this shithole
>>
>>7203838
more people doing digital work on tablets now
>>
>>7203975
Yeah, it's fountain pen ink. Although I'd be scared to use that in a fountain pen since when it dries you probably have to throw away the pen.
The ink works fine with a dip pen.
>>
For me? it’s the 6B
>>
>>7203564
I bought some of these (cheap ones...) and I have to press relatively hard to get the ink going. Is that normal or are mine really crappy?
>>
>>7204085
2 to 3B for me, if I'm not sketching with erasable colored pencil. Good for doodling if I don't wanna erase and good for light erasing if need be.
>>
>>7204102
You probably need to use a lighter on them for like 2 seconds to get the oil coat out. They coat them to protect them, but you don't have to keep it when you're using them on a daily basis or so.
>>
>>7203838
Assholes driving others away
>>
File: dip_pens.jpg (37 KB, 450x582)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>7203571
Holder: If you like big nibs(Seriously, maru nib is a pain in the ass), avoid plastic ferrule and buy metal one. They hold the nib better and can be replaced.
Nib: I highly suggest school nibs, they are shorter than G for better control. G if you can control a longer nib. Tachikawa and Zebra are good for both. Hunt nibs are good but I can't tell much since I only use them once.
Ink: Daiso Calligrapy, Karkos for poor fags. Kuretake Black, Pilot for middle class and Platinum Black for rich fags.
>>
>>7203838
0 moderation across the board leads to >>7204344, /ic/ was on a steep decline for the long time but the appearance of AIjeets from /g/ constantly raiding the board with 0 response from mods was the killing blow I think.

I do wonder where everybody went though.
>>
>>7204964
Reddit isn't that bad, unironically.

There are a few good guys on /ic/, but lost in a sea of coomers, literal women, schizos, advanced sociopaths, literal retards, AI chills. The same threads unroll every now and them, that redundancy being purposefully fueled by the schizociopaths with their
> where the dog at
> Sorolla, was it el pedo??????!?!??!????!?????
> WATCH MY 2 PIXELSCHIZO THREADS THAT HAVE BEEN GOING ON FOR. EVER.
> le Pollock fart-sniffing thread
> let me invent the most idiotic art related question I can come up with

And many others /ic/-featured shows.

And what do you get in return? No sales, no long term contact, and an eventual stream of shit on your face once in a while because some angry nigger can't restrain himself to behave like a civilized human.

Sometimes you come across a dude with a fucked up life who really enjoy being cheered up. Or perhaps a guy with half a brain understand at least a few parts of what you say. But you can do that elsewhere, with much less shit on your face at the end of the day. So what's the point.
>>
>>7205168
Some parts of reddit can be useful for art people, like pens, mechanicalpens, fountainpens and the like where it's full of people who have these hobbies and there's not much room to inject politics into it. At most you get autistic guys talking about the physical feel of pens and pencils but that's it.
>>
>>7205518
I saw little to no mention of politics on all art related subs I've been to. I guess don't go to /r/lgbtqabcdef+ or major subs if you don't want to deal with loud wokeness.
>>
>>7205168
If you don't enjoy being here leave already.
>>
>>7206781
See, it's exactly that kind of childish behavior I'm referring to. What I read is:
> my life is shit, let me try to shit on someone else in hope that it'll make me feel better, because for sure shitting on others MUST make me feel better
> i'm smart lol
Seriously.

Leaving isn't a binary thing. I'm helping almost no-one here compared to what I used to. Because of guys like you.
>>
>>7203571
I use a lever nib holder, it works with every nib I have. Since I'm in Europe, I use Leonardt nibs and not the statian ones.
Also, for the ink it depends of what you like, jetpens has a great article about the best drawing inks. I just like the Rohrer & Klinger indian ink : no acrylics, made in Germany, pitch black, waterproof.
>>
>>7203564
My teacher gave me an assignement for the summer, 6hrs of nude a day with these little shits, any good fountain ones u anons can recommend so I don’t have to dip them all the fuckin time? I can already tell it’s gonna get really old really fast if I have to dip every 30 seconds
>>
>>7206910
If your teacher isn't bad they will see you've used a fountain pen and not a dip pen.
But I have some doubts about a teacher giving 6hrs of nude a day as an assignement.
>>
>>7206863
Explain to me what the sense is you staying in a community you hate just to tell others it’s bad and that they should leave because others you observed left? What is the goal here?
>>
I am a tattooist, so I mainly use a speedball b5 on archers paper to paint flash. A few things I have found when using nibs is that wrapping your holder with tape or similar makes it easier to handle a long lime. Nibs tend to get better with wear, like the paper polishes them. Using fresh India ink in a small container is better than dipping in a bottle, saves the bottle from drying out and will work smoother for longer.
>>
>>7207036
No he did, unfortunately I got to a strict school that forces you to work every day, a curse and a blessing. They have nude sessions running all summer all day long, Also I didn’t mean a fountain pen, are there dip pens with reservoirs of ink so you don’t have to dip all the fucking time? Yeah it’s called a dip pen Yada yaba doo, I’d still like to know tho
>>
>>7207102
>a curse and a blessing
Damn, good luck, don't forget to stretch your hands
>are there dip pens with reservoirs of ink
I know there are fountain pens with really flexible nibs (called flexible nib fountain pens, how convenient) and they feel like a dip pen. But I've never tried it and I don't know how much it costs.
Also, there are people crafting some reservoirs for their nibs with cutted and folded aluminum cans or springs, never tried it but it seems to work.
Other than that, I don't know much. Good luck!
>>
Redpill me on dip pens as a pencil fag. Will they make me feel like a 19th century writer? Are they worth it?
>>
>>7207178
Yeah I’ve got a whole 30 min routine in the morning stretching my hands, hah. I also workout now and ngl it helps a lot.
Good tips for the self crafted pens, I should check YouTube there’s probably some old crusty artist who made vids showing his diy reservoirs if I’m lucky. The flexible dip pen ref sounds intriguing, they probably sell some in my city’s art stores, I’ll add that to my check-it-out list, thanks anon.

>>7207188
Main reason is that basically, hatching forces precision. You can’t cheat with dip pens, you gotta laser focus when using them which is why so many people hate them lol. But my teacher gave us a whole ass drawing program stretching over 3 years, first part is dip pens, second is charcoal (Pierre noire in French, no clue what u Anglos call it), final stage is lead pencils. Now this is a very like, French way to art, zero construction classes, very few anatomical classes, practically no recs for books like those anons recommend on here, our teachers force us to become good by powering through an ungodly amount of nude sessions, i think this year alone I probably did close to 3k drawings, when I cleaned out my drawers I had 4 1/2 plastic bags of trash. Fuck this turned into a massive ramble
Tldr: dip pens force precision thru hatching, you can’t cheat and it teaches you to trace in straight confident lines.
>>
>>7207178
so I emailed my prof and he said if I used fountain pens he would smite my ass and give me a failing grade, and that it would completely ruin the purpose of the class. Guess I’ll go for a regular dip pen lmao. Any good brands, I know NOTHING about dip pens, never even used em I think
>>
>>7207217
>Pierre noire in French
Ah t'es francophone? :^)
What is this school, it seems pretty insane.
>>7207219
>Any good brands, I know NOTHING about dip pens, never even used em I think
If you live en France (or even Europe), you can try the Leonardt ones, or even Strause (or Standardgraph, that's the same).
I like the Leonardt 256, i find it pretty versatile.
The Leonardt IIIEF is also versatile but way thiner.
The Leonardt Hiro 6H is very hard. You'll get not much expressivity with it. Pretty usefull whan you want a clean, consistent line.
The Leonardt Hiro n°700 is pretty much the opposite. Very thin but very expressive.

A nib can be used for quite some time if you take care of it and don't force your nib to be "too much" expressive. The less you apply force on it, the less it will bend the metal and fuck it. That's why very flexible nibs are usefufl if you want expressivity without forcing on it.

When you buy a new nib, immerge them in very hot water and soap for 10mn, rince and dry well with some thin cloth. This will get rid of the coating they put to preserve them in storages.
When you use a nib, ink will constantly flow in the slit and tends to dry, impeaching more ink to flow correctly. To prevent that, you can dip your nib in water from time to time and dry it with a cloth. Same when you've finished a drawing session, clean your nib before it dries. I also use some soapy water to get rid of everything.
Never use vinegar on it since it will make it rust.

For the nib holder, I use a lever nib holder (like the Conté ones, sold with Sergent-Major nibs), cheap, easy to use, can hold most nib types. You can find them on second hand market or on the internet.

For the ink, I don't like the cheap ones (Pébéo, Rougier&Plé, Correct-art, etc.). I've also always disliked the Lefranc-Bourgeois ones (I don't know why, I just don't like the feel of it...)
I'm using Rohrer&Klinger indian ink and Ecoline drawing inks. But feel free to try other things.
>>
>>7207188
>Will they make me feel like a 19th century writer?
No, but the feel of it is really different from anything you've tried.
>Are they worth it?
Kinda hard to master and very unforgiving, but it's way cheaper and way cooler than any tubular pen. They worth it if you like it. It depends of what type of rendering you're after but the most detailed ones will require a lot of patience.
>>
>>7207277
>Never use vinegar on it since it will make it rust.
Vinegar is a common rust remover. I use it on my nibs all the time and I've never had rust problems (but I try to dry them as much as possible after every dip in cleaning solution).
>>
>>7207417
I thought citric acid was a good rust remover and vinegar was more hazardous. I thought that because I made an homemade black ink where I had to set metallic pieces set into vinegar for creating rust. Good to know it's not that harmful.
That said, I only use Marseille soap diluted in water to clean my nibs and I never had a problem neither.
>>
>>7207217
we call them conte pencils.
>>
fuck whoever told me the pental pocket brush sucks, this shit is fun as fuck to use
>>
Can I use a quill?
>>
Where can I get dip ink in person in a small town
>>
>>7208155
In a hobby store mayhaps?
>>
>>7208155
Some stationeries have it.
>>
finally splurged on maru mapping nibs, box of 100. and then i stopped drawing finished pieces as much. im torn between continuing paper stuff, or just going full digital. i think i overestimated how much what i make means to anybody but myself. in that it means nothing to anybody but myself.
>>
>>7208108
Thanks.
>>
>>7207102
What is this school?
>>
>>7208840
A French one. Again, I won’t go in the details here, I’ve posted my work and talked about it before and some schizo could very easily find who I am since some of my work is hosted on their website.
>>
>>7207042
How disrespectful of you to assume that I'm an idiot.

Were you less arrogant, you might have been able to answer the question yourself:
> well, maybe he's trying to get people to be less stupid, more mature, by shoving into their faces the consequences of it

>Explain to me what the sense is you staying in a community you hate just to tell others it’s bad and that they should leave because others you observed left
I hate no-one. I'm asking no-one to leave. You guys are nuts: you're fighting an illusion created by your own minds.
>>
File: WIN_20240623_133435.jpg (116 KB, 753x675)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
>>
>>7209069
These nibs would be amazing if they learned how to make flexible nibs, Japanese nibs will give your wrists carpel syndrome.
>>
>>7208154
why wouldn't you be able to?
>>
>>7209095
theyre not as hard as i thought theyd be. not far at all from a g-pen
>>
>>7207102
>are there dip pens with reservoirs of ink so you don’t have to dip all the fucking time?
You have a few options:
1. hack a g-nib on a fountain pen, there are tutorials on youtube. I think a Jinhao is a more popular one because it's cheap and fits.
2. Ackerman and Osprey both make those kind of pens.
>>7208155
I've never encountered a black ink that a dip pen couldn't use. You probably have india ink or fountain pen ink somewhere in town, try those.
>>7209095
Tachikawa (probably many others) make a soft (flexible) Maru nib.
On that note, if you are pressing too hard i'm afraid you're not using it correctly. With nibs you don't have to apply any pressure, unless you seek line variation.
>>7203975
>I read that it's not really suitable to use fp ink with dip pens though.
Whoever wrote what you read isn't too bright. Fountain pen ink works fine.
>>
>>7204344
>>7204964
I noticed there are a few toxic people - even for 4chan levels - they really turn this thread into shit.
>>
>>7209851
I think the key is really to ignore them. They crave attention, when they get none they leave
>>
>>7209866
Possibly. They might just be assholes though.
>>
>>7209866
There are different kinds of them. The ones creating the dumb threads over and over are probably attention craving.

But you also have angry guys with shitty life who are happy to belittle others online to "feel better."

The former has a troublesome sociopath feel, while the later is just dumb blind anger. Hopefully, dumb anger can be corrected, but the sociopath traits may indicate deeper issues.
>>
File: GQwBHlmb0AAEXJA.jfif.jpg (565 KB, 1536x2048)
565 KB
565 KB JPG
I keep seeing Japanese artists post stuff like this and I'm becoming more and more interested. Very pretty colors. Which pens should I buy to do this kind of stuff?
>>
>>7209787
I have the soft nibs too, they're the 77 branding. Not too flexible either, the metal they use is just too thick.
>>
>>7210019
anon, it says right on your picture. copic markers.
>>
>>7210137
I feel so stupid right now. Thanks I guess, I really did miss it somehow.
>>
>>7210006
Both leave if you ignore them long enough because the whole point of throwing a tantrum online is getting (you)s.
>>
>>7210019
Most of these kind of arts are made with Copic markers, gouache and color pencils.
>>
I don't recall having to press hard, I'll have to try it again
Re fountain pen ink:
Depends on the pen, sometimes it doesn't stick to the capillary so good. It's thinner, and dye based. Like it's usable, but the benefit of dip pens is supposed to be you aren't stuck with it cos it doesn't matter if it dries there. It's not a $20-100 pen that suddenly you've ducked up
>>
>>7210280
It's not like you have to press too much, nibs are quite sensitive in that regard so you shouldn't have to do that. FP inks are generally bad and more often than not they aren't lightfast or archival, which is putting me off from getting a FP in the first place, that and the fact that EF nibs are like 0.4 mm which is way too thick for drawing in my opinion, a G pen covers the same line variations a set of 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5 fineliners would give you. Technical pens have better inks anyways.
>>
Someone make a new /trad/ thread.
>>
>>7210280
fountain pen inks are a pain to work with in my experience. they tend to feather more often then India inks. even supposed non-feather inks like noodler bulletproof and x feather will lose out to regular India ink in that regard. Its just how fountainpen inks are designed I assume. they are made to be thinner and more watery than india ink so the feed in a fountain pen wont get clogged.
in response to >>7207102 , there exist a couple fountain pens that accept g nibs, namely the Osprey and Ackerman. I actually own both of them, and for various reasons I cant really reccomend either as anything more than neat novelty pens.
>>
>>7210708
>they tend to feather more often then India inks.
I have had exactly the opposite experience with several fountain pen blacks and india.
India feathered for me and demands the best quality paper. (Higgins and Rotring isograph to be specific, with dip pens).
However, I still love india ink for its permanence. Just gets very expensive since I go through a ton of paper.
>>7210708
>Osprey and Ackerman
Where did you get them, any stores that actually stock them?
Also, do they accept india inks? Or do you have to use fountain pen inks in them?
Finally, why did you not recommend them.
(sorry for so many questions)
>>
>>7210713
Rotring Drawing Ink (the one for rapidographs) isn't true india ink, it doesn't have shellac on it but it is pigmented,which makes it unsuitable for FPs
>>
File: ospreymilano.jpg (1.07 MB, 3024x4032)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>7210713
> I have had exactly the opposite experience with several fountain pen blacks and india.

you know what I retract my last statement. I was too quick to make a generalization over all fountain pen inks and india inks, especially since you mentioned higgins and defualt rotring ink. both of those were bad for me too. higgins black magic especially.

Its been maybe a little less than two years since I last used my ospery pen. I got my osprey online, directly from the site. Its a milano I think. Cost around 80 bucks. Its a nice pen, really. imo, fountain pens are just too finnicky to draw with. Sometimes the nib is too dry, and you end up having to scratch the paper a few times or crank the reservoir in order to force ink through the feed.
you cannot use India inks with the Osprey milano g nib. You should never use India inks with most fountainpens, as it will clog the feed. You dont have to take my word for it. On the store page for the milano they explicitly advise against using india inks as well.

cont in next post
>>
>>7210827
the ackerman was around 30 dollars. I can no longer find where I stored my ackerman unfortunately. but as a I recall, the make was fairly cheap. Sometimes ink would leak out from the body, staining your hands. If I wasnt judiciously wiping my drawing hand off with a spare rag then i risked smudging ink onto the drawing.
The ackerman had an almost opposite problem from the milano. sometimes the ink flowed too fast. If you momentarily lifted the pen up from the page, ink would start to pool on the nib and drip onto the paper. Sometimes the ink would instead build up on the face of the nib. When you pressed the nib onto the paper to resume drawing, a small blob of ink would expel itself unceremoniously onto the page, ruining your drawing.
As for india ink, yes. You can actually use india ink with this pen. The channel in the feed is much wider then other fountain pens, making it possible to use india inks. This is probably what causes the flow to be very high.
In retrospect, perhaps i should have tried using a thicker, drier ink in order to combat the high flow of the pen.
as for where i got it from, i think i got it from etsy or something.
>>
In fact I do use pencil and pen
I use a load of Birmingham inks.
Using fountain pen ink with gum Arabic and you'll have good consistency.
>>
>>7210827
>>7210833
This is great info, thanks anon.
As for your leak problem with the Osprey, I am certain it can be fixed with pure grade silicone grease that is used for fountain pens. I still have the same grease I applied years ago on my one of my eyedropper pens and it never leaked once.

So from your experience, what was the India ink (not rotring or higgins) that performed better? I'm kind of desperate for a less-feathering ink.
>>
File: girl.png (1.24 MB, 1200x1556)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>7210848
deleter 4 ink is pretty good. its very dark, and thick. like tar. its what alot of japanese and american comic artists use.
this is in contrast to something like Higgins ink, which is quite milky and a bit more watery.
but ultimately the type of paper you use matters a whole lot in terms of line quality. fountain pen inks are usually recommended for use with fountain pen paper and notebooks.
likewise deleter also has its own line of b4 manga paper.
pic related was the last drawing i ever did with a nib pen. I used a hunt 102 nib pen and deleter 4 ink. I did it just on random sketchbook paper you can find at target. not b4 for this one.
as a sidenote deleter 4 ink is insanely thick. at least for me. if you water it down just a little bit itll flow better on the nib.

i dont use nib pens anymore though. i have since moved onto what i believe to be superior tools
>>
>>7210875
>i have since moved onto what i believe to be superior tools
Don't leave me hanging anon, what and why?
Nice art, very soulful.
>>
>>7210875
What are you using now? I want to get back into dip pens and also do some brush work. Maybe even go back to technical pens too. I'm really feeling like inking a lot after using pencils for a long long while now.
>>
File: the43t_1.png (2.64 MB, 2000x2836)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB PNG
>>7210878
i actually use a brush now. a winsor and newton series 7 size 2. it lets me save money by drawing in shitty composition notebook paper because the soft hairs of the brush are less likely to tear up the page when you spot in areas of pure black, as opposed to sharp and pointy g nib or hunt 102. you can get just as thin and precise lines with a brush as would with a nib pen, too. its just a matter of dexterity.

pic related is what I used the brush with. but this time it was on proper b4 manga paper. as >>7210878 mentions i actually used a tech pen with this too in addition to a brush. it was one of my rotrings.
>>
>>7210900
W&N are out of my price range right now, but I do have some brush pens out there. I'm eyeing the Koh I Noor Universal Drawing Ink bottle, the big one, since Rotring seems to have discontinued the 250ml bottle of Drawing Ink they used to sell.
>>
>>7210877
Not anon, I’m the guy who originally asked for recs for dip pens with reservoirs. It’s a training tool. It’s not really that good for anything other than black and white. It’s an excellent way to get extremely proficient and precise for live drawing, especially for anatomy and nude sessions, the reason our painting teacher forces us to use the little shits. However he told us that we should only ever use them for training and practice, they’re completely worthless for anything else, except if you’re a comic/manga artist, of course.
>>
>>7211003
I googled this and came across two things: the ones with a little hood that are meant for calligraphy and others with a little spiral thingy on top. Which one do you use?
>>
>>7211252
Mind posting some pictures? I have no clue what you mean lol
>>
What's a good 3-4mm lead holder to use up all my broken colored pencil tips.
>>
>>7212185
Koh I noor or faber castell
>>
File: 111_41_large__37579.jpg (172 KB, 1280x1280)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>7211392
Calligraphy dip pens with reservoirs (since they produce thicker lines, they need more ink)
>>
>>7211392
Dip pen with a reservoir (never seen this irl before)
>>
Anyone got suggestions for good sketch pads that are designed to lay flat when you open them up?
>>
>>7212761
Depends on the materials you're using but if it's pen and ink canson makes good ones. That or you could get your own paper and bind it yourself
>>
>>7212658
Not exactly a dip pen, but: https://thingsbydan.myshopify.com/products/piston-blade-pen

>>7212761
Sakura's sketchbook are cheap but do the job. Otherwise look for spiral bound, like Strathmore's
>>
>>7212931
>https://thingsbydan.myshopify.com/products/piston-blade-pen
Ooooh, I've seen those before... Never used them though. They don't sell them at any local art store. They barely have stuff like Speedball and Kuretake as it is, when it comes to dip pens.

Also, Sakura sketchbook's paper, while smooth can lead to a bit of bleeding. It happened to me with tech pens. They're mostly for their Pigma Micron fineliners I guess.
>>
>>7212944
>They don't sell them at any local art store
I think it's online only. Like, it's a guy in his garage or something. Never tried them either

> bleeding
Yeah, the sizing isn't fantastic.

No issues with fineliners, but it's not for overly wet stuff. If I need to make washes in them, I usually apply a thin coat of acrylic gesso, it's enough to make the surface water-resistant; perhaps that may work for ink with a bit of sanding in between
>>
Why is Arches paper so expensive :(
>>
>>7212944
>Also, Sakura sketchbook's paper
IIRC I think they're just a rebranded Talens sketchbook.
I've had the same issue as you.
I believe the solution is bristol board and smooth mixed media paper. Fabriano, Strathmore and Canson all make them. (like Strathmore 200 & 300 which i've seen a lot of comic artists use).
I haven't tried them yet, so if anyone has actual experience pitch in.
>>
File: canson.jpg (122 KB, 400x567)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
>>7215137
I've experienced bleeding with .35 tech pens, which isn't that thick to be honest. I don't remember crow quills giving me issues... Felt tip pens were okay. As I said, it's likely that they just want you to use them with Microns even if they're just a rebrand. Speaking of Microns, I've noticed the back but of the pens (the black tube of sorts) gets loose if you put the pen's cap on it and pull it off. Microns already feel cheap as they are and that really put me off them.

And regarding paper, I use picrel and it's very good, although it doesn't open flat.
>>
>>7215148
I've heard of that issue with Microns, i have a dozen and none of them ever did that though. I mean, there's some play on it, but my cap never came off.
I'll give the paper (Canson) a shot one day, but probably with block notes (that you can pull out) or loose leafs, since no-lay-flat is a dealbreaker for me.
>>
>>7215165
Yeah it's a bit of game, it's not like you're left with an empty tube on your hand and the ink thingy on the other, but it's still kinda shitty to have, even for a pen that's probably the cheaper of the upper tier art pens available.
>>
Any tips for artist/block procrastination?

Here's one that works for me.
I just draw one very fast loose drawing. That usually gets some momentum going.
>>
>>7215170
I'm kind of a Micron cultist, but I do admit they're cheap, it's kind of the charm though.
The Uni Pin is the opposite, very high quality and premium feel, but I never really warmed up to them like my shitty old microns. hehe.
>>
>>7215148
It does open flat, mine does
>>
>>7209095
Japanese nibs goes like this: Zebra=flexible, Nikko=midle ground, tachikawa=hard.
>>
>>7215247
shit, i didn't know that.
Is it enough to actually discern?
>>
>>7215248
NTA but you can tell the difference. my Nikko G feels like a thin technical pen compared to my Zebra. Both have their uses though so I wouldn't say one is better than the other, it just depends on what you're going for.
>>
>>7215252
Thanks, I was looking for ultra flex, but only found a Tachikawa in stock, seems what I actually needed was a Zebra.
>>
>>7215277
No prob. Though if flex is what you want I'd say get some european nibs as well as manga style for a more well rounded set. Manuscript/Leonardt make great stuff for a good price like the hiro 41 or the 700, and for american ones the Hunt 101 is good if you have a light touch. For something a little more controllable try the 56 school nib.
>>
>>7215324
Thanks for the recommendations anon, i couldn't find any in my area, but it's on my list now.
>>
File: bakuman-1.png (799 KB, 1051x595)
799 KB
799 KB PNG
Does anybody know what brand drawing table this is? The black and white angled thing.
>>
>>7216305
You mean the grey and white ones?
Those are lightboxes. Used for tracing and inking from underdrawings.
You can find smaller usb-powered ones at art stores.
>>
>>7216611
They're not lightboxes, they're drawing boards
>>
>>7216657
The reason I'm guessing they're lightboxes is the white surface and the edge closest to the animator is raised to make room for the lights.
Drawing boards would be flush to the surface, or have legs of some sort.
Also, this is from the Bakuman anime, where the two main characters are the writer to right and artist to left, those three are their assistants. The assistant would be using lightboxes to trace over the main lines, not the main artist with the wooden drawing board on the left bottom.
Often mangakas use their lightboxes as drawing boards with the power off. So there's some overlap.
I personally have never seen a drawing board with a white surface, they're usually just plain wood. Which doesn't mean they don't exist.
Which is why I assume it's a lightbox.
Here are two examples of a drawing board and a lightbox in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng_y9AvJATc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJo9Wf7-ZOo
>>
File: IMG_4233.jpg (111 KB, 776x506)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>7216792
You may be right but I’ve never seen them plugged in or used in the anime and Bakuman is generally very accurate with stationery. This blurry real life photo isn’t helpful but it’s just to prove the thing actually exists, there are better angles here https://randomc.net/2011/01/30/bakuman-17/
>>
>>7216845
Indeed, the bottom left of your pic looks like a white drawing board.
Always nice to see a fellow Bakuman appreciator.
>>
File: 1650920782719.jpg (15 KB, 278x395)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
New to art, can someone tell me what grit of sandpaper is good for sharpening compressed charcoal?
Ive looked everywhere and all they mention is either how to do it or using one of those premade sandpaper sticks. I figure it is better and cheaper to just use sandpaper from the hardware store but no one mentions what type or grit. Thanks
>>
>>7216885
Use any. It’s not an exact science.
>>
>>7216885
Start 100, wrap up 220.
>>
>>7216889
>>7216901
Thanks
>>
>>7210713
>Higgins and Rotring isograph to be specific
I have seen the same with higgins just from every youtube video discussing inking with dip pens and brush.
Speedball superblack can be feathery too but its very dependent on the type of paper coating.
>>
>>7212658
one of those fountain pen forums had instructions for a diy version of pic rel. It didn't offer any noticeable benefit from my test.
all attempts to get a pen that is shit at holding much ink pretty much failed. either a pen holds a lot, or it never will and you get used to it.
>>
>>7217598
Yeah it seems overly complicated. Just get a brush at that point. Speaking of inking, I really wish Copic hadn't fucked up the Copic SP. I mean, it was a shit pen, but it was a good alternative for rapidographs, which tend to be more trouble than they're worth. FPs are just not the same. I wish we had something good, portable and of quality. Fineliners just don't last.
>>
>>7217597
Do you have a link by any chance?

I actually really like Higgins because of the dropper, since I can refill isographs or fineliners easily. It's also a nice matte dark black.
It's a shame it performs so poorly with my shitty copy paper and dip pens, but that's also kind of my fault for not using higher quality paper.
>>
>>7217982
Platinum Preppy eyedropper conversion with a black permanent ink is a good alternative. Mine has been going strong for years now with a single bottle of Noodlers Black.
I'll probably switch bottles when I'm done, maybe DeAttramentis, Sailor Kiwa Guro or Platinum Carbon black.
But dip pens allow permanent and extreme line variation, with better control than a brush, so I think they have a very valid use-case.
>>
>>7218790
They don't sell Noodler's where I live. I want something reliable and good that works well with both technical pens and brush pens like the pocket brush. I'm thinking of just ordering a big bottle of Koh I Noor Universal ink... There's this Talens Drawing ink being sold here, it says it works with tech pens, and I even sent an email to Talens asking about it, specifically about shellac and the likelihood of clogging. They said it has shellac and that it could clog tech pens. I thought Rotring Drawing Ink didn't had it, but it actually has shellac too.

One thing they mentioned that sent me on a bit of a rabbit hole, they claimed Talens Drawing Ink has a fineness of less than 1 micron. Does anybody here know wtf that means? I'm guessing it's the thickness of it, but I've been trying to find the same data for Rotring Ink (which is the only one I have used for both tech and brush pens) but I can't find it.
>>
>>7219203
Technical pens always use pigmented ink, but you don't have to. I've read of plenty of success even with fountain pen ink.

The problem with your requirement is that technical pen ink can and will clog brush pens. But if you don't mind getting another brush pen, i've seen some people who have success with it, IF you don't let it dry.

I also use the Pentel Pocket brush, I think its cartridges have the best ink of any brush pen i've used (black, matte, waterproof), but the refills are very expensive where I am.

The 1 micron is probably pigment size.
There is no difference between the major tech pen inks from Rotring and Koh-I-Noor, I use both for a lot of reasons. I can't tell the difference between the two.

If I were you I would use rotring or koh-i-noor exclusively for technical pens, and for brushes, and for brushes I would use cartridges from Pentel, or even fountain pen ink... see video below for a decent guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3gAhZZ3_Q
>>
>>7219262
This is the first time I'm reading that technical pen ink like Rotring Drawing Ink can clog pentel brush pens. A lot of people reccomend it. Since they certainly work with tech pens and all. Parka Blogs also made videos where he refills Pentel Pocket Brush pens with Rotring and Ph Martin ink designed for tech pens too, and said they worked alright. Oh well...
>>
>>7219288
Yes, i've seen those vids too. It's a calculated risk and technical pen ink will irreversibly destroy tools much like India ink. Which makes me assume that tech pens simply use a smaller pigment-size india ink. as you mentioned with 1 micron.
I think the secret is if it dries. If it stays wet, you can cycle refills indefinitely.
The only solution if you cannot reach the clogged crevices might be an ultrasonic cleaner.
>>
>>7219306
Yeah, I mean, tech pens do clog even with normally branded drawing ink. Including rotring's. But the key here is to keep it flowing and to clean the tool after each refill. I've had tech pens sitting for like two weeks with ink still on them and they still flow nicely, so it ain't that bad.
>>
>>7219308
And, to add, I remember seeing that "everything labeled as drawing ink is good for tech pens", and that's my golden standard as to have them working on brush pens too. Which is why I became interested in that Talens Drawing Ink, especially since a 500ml bottle is available where I live and it's relatively inexpensive.
>>
>>7219308
>>7219310
>everything labeled as drawing ink is good for tech pens
that's news to me.
just to be safe, i look for a logo on the packaging that specifically states it's good for rapidograph/isograph/technical-pens, but i guess i'm paranoid here.

I heard putting a drop of windex into the cap and then leaving it upside down can extend the dry time to a month or so.
I have tried with mixed/some success with a couple of tech pens and alcohol.
I've never heard of Talens ink, thought they only made notebooks.
I left my brand new .25 Rotring isograph with a full load of Rotring ink for 3 months and after dipping the tip in alcohol it restarted, surprisingly.
>CAPTCHA: 0N 0W0
>>
File: 61FfStT1yeL.jpg (112 KB, 675x1946)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>7219321
Picrel is what i'm talking about. It explicitly says it's good for tech pens, but I wanted to make sure before I spent any money on it. It's amusing that it says it's not for tattoos because people actually use it. Talens also makes an India ink, labeled as such and with a different label color even. As I was saying before, Talens said it might cause clogging, but all inks do so, so whatever. They did say India WILL clog your pens, no matter what. If it's not clogged after a day, it should be good to go (as I've seen with a "genius" who tried putting Sumi Ink in a tech pen to see how it would work). For what it's worth, I saw this guy using this ink on pentel brush pens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh98FciD9IQ
>>
>>7219321
And, to be fair, anything under .25 or .18 is bound to give you trouble. .3 and .35 seems to be the sweet spot. .35 is as thick as a .5 micron.
>>
Whats a good ellipse guide set? They all seem to go for 10 bucks individually? Can I not get a set for pretty cheap?
>>
>>7207217
>pierrre noire
Oh, that’s a brand of compressed chsrcoal/conte
>>
>>7219342
Kek, yeah I saw that on higgins or speedball packaging too.
I must say that .25 has been incredibly reliable for me. It also has a nice resonant, scratchy feedback that tickles my onions, one that .35 lacks as it feels more like a nail.

That's a fucking lot of ink. Consider buying a smaller bottle just to test its performance first.
After that, if it's solid, you have no excuse *not* to draw, with half a litre.
>>
Anons I have some old nibs with dried India ink on them. How do I clean them properly?
>>
>>7219362
I've seen an old Marvel inker sharpening them like pencils, with a box-cutter. They did it away from them, into a trash bin. Light strokes and not too much pressure, it took off the bigger chunks.
I'm referring to dip nibs btw.
>>
File: 20100601_145532_001.jpg (19 KB, 282x351)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Hello anons, tell me if i forgot something

fountain pen
rollerball pen
dip pen
technical pen

ballpoint pen
marker
sharpie
permanent marker
alcohol marker
fineliner

Are there any other "basic" line drawing tools which are "wet" aka not a pencil?
>>
>>7219360
I've seen people using Higgins on tech pens with no issue, since they have inks that are labeled as such. But I've never seen a Speeblack with such labels... Yeah it's a shit ton of ink, but it's the only one they have that's drawing ink...
>>
>>7219383
you mean ink i guess.
dip brushes and brush pens.
Bamboo pens (literally a piece of bamboo you dip) used for calligraphy
fingers (Kim Jung Gi and Jim Lee smudge to perfection.
To apply ink i've also seen Jim Lee use cotton swabs, cotton balls or paper towel
gel pens use gel & ballpoints use oil, thus they are not categorized as rollerballs (liquid ink, sometimes pigmented).
watercolor
acrylic & oil paint, lol.
>>
File: bridgman_the_beginnings.jpg (505 KB, 751x1000)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
The pencil extender is my favorite tool.

Check out that chode.
>>
the tapletop easel is finally arriving next week I WILL draw now
this time surely
>>
>>7219632
Sure you will, anon. Sure you will.
Seriously though, good luck. Hope it works out for you.
>>
>>7219587
I've been using a little sponge ring screwed into an old pen body, but I really should buy one of these.
>>
>>7219587
Mine is a simple and cheap wooden one, varnished so it doesn't feel sandy. It just werks, so I will buy another one or two when I return to that same art supply store some day.
>>
>>7221915
If you do, put some grease on its threads. It's dry as fuck in there.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.