[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EBxkPj9WwAECu-h.jpg (224 KB, 1224x1632)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
Anyone here do anything for ergonomics when working on your desk?

Is it possible for a display tablet to ever be ergonomic?
Having mostly horizontal on a table makes sense... but then you're craning your neck down to look at it.
If you mount it up vertically to not look down then you raising your arms and stressing your shoulders/elbows and possibly wrists.
>>
>>7211461
That's fucking crazy, to have your arm raised like that on the screen. How many hours can you hold that working position? Fucking retarded shit.
Screenless is king.
>>
>>7211461
>If you mount it up vertically to not look down then you raising your arms and stressing your shoulders/elbows and possibly wrists.
As you would if you were drawing traditionally?
>>
File: 1709269217313103.jpg (790 KB, 2412x1940)
790 KB
790 KB JPG
Pic is a bunch of devices used for shortcuts instead of keyboards, lets you "reach over" less while working on a tablet compared to a keyboard...
Some are overpriced as shit though.

I used a Nintendo Switch controller for a while but I went through like 3 left hand controllers and they all driften and were super limited button-wise.

A friend handed (lol) the top-left thingie, he's a software guy and was trying to use it as a keyboard replacement but hated it.
I think it could be useful especially for like Blender which needs a gorillion shortcut
>>
>>7211483
That looks like a big ass WACOM in OP's Pic. My question is why is she using a keyboard when the remote they give has so many buttons and easy to hold.
>>
>>7211461
Great ergonomics is kinda impossible with a display tablet. No position is good for your back, neck, eyes and arm/shoulder/wrist all at the same time. Find a couple decent positions with your setup and switch between them. A monitor arm, height-adjustable/standing desk, ergonomic chairs all give you more options. Most of this stuff is expensive, but simple things like using a stack of books to adjust the height of your tablet can help a lot. Try out different stuff to find what works for you. Take frequent breaks too, your stamina will build up over time.

Raeoffrecord had some good infographics about ergonomics (pic related, rest is on kemono). Heard quite a few artist say they switched back to screen-less tablets because of the bad ergonomics.
>>
>>7211461
I use a non screen tablet and I have it to the side, not directly in front of me
This is best for your wrists and forearms apparently
Your arms should follow the direction of your armrests towards your desk, and not be straining by leaning in or out for hours
>>
>>7211461
>yoU'rE stResSinG yOuR aRm
>>
>>7211498
Yuuuuup im never buying a screen tablet! iPad and I tous pro 4 large it is!
>>
>>7211465
I can lol you just have noodle arms
>>
>>7211486
she’s just used to it
>>
>>7211486
Probably because it's easier for her to use keyboard shortcuts since she's already have muscle memory built up. My tablet also have dials but I ditched it for one handed keyboard that has half of the qwerty layout.
>>
>>7211483
8bitdo micro is $20 and works great as a shortcut controller, it's also fully rebindable
>>
>>7211465
It's either the arm or the neck, I only have a Cintiq 13HD which I use occasionally because my neck starts aching. I prefer to work on my Intuos 4.
>>
>>7211461
Nodraws on /ic/ will come up with the most contrived imaginary problems to postpone drawing
>>
>>7211579
Sometimes, bad posture and ergonomics can fuck you over. You'd know this if you spent more than 2 hours a day working on your art
>b-but
sorry, you've already revealed yourself ;^)
>>
>>7211461
>Artists have drawn fine on an easel or on a table for thousands of years
>Zoomers going MUH NECK!! MUH ARM!!!
>>
File: wip.png (125 KB, 723x715)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
>>7211580
I draw and work out, so I don't have to worry about that. Just don't be a slob
>>
>>7211591
this is the art from someone who calls others “nodraws”
>>
>>7211592
Yeah, it's what I'm drawing right now.
What are you drawing?
>>
>>7211594
Nothing. I’m at work like a good slave.
>>
>>7211590
Different pressure scales. A brush with pigment requires almost no pressure, a tablet requires constant pressure on the wrist and hand.
>>
File: 1719092252281183.png (586 KB, 607x943)
586 KB
586 KB PNG
should I buy a table top easel, my shoulders hurt and i'm tired of using my belly and the edge of the table as support
>>
>>7211591
I love your work anon! Don't listen to that faggot. I hope you do some fucked up shit in the background, like a hellish pile of human sinners marinating in a lake of fire.
>>
just get a high up desk or furniture and stand up, literally the most ergonomical position even if you are looking down.
>>
>>7211687
Imagine the smell of the port on a day without wind
>>
>>7211827
wtf is a grumpy old sailor doing on /ic/?
>>
File: 1711269503611211.jpg (20 KB, 376x336)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>7211590
Like the other anon said, with traditional media you're barely using any pressure. The most you'd use is maybe with a charcoal pen doing shadows. Brushes, just the weight of the brush is enough for the thickest line.

Digital, even if you change the sensitivity curve you're still pushing harder than with trad. And there's a certain point where it's too sensitive cuz unlike trad you don't have -actual, physical feedback- like the bristles bending it's all simulated.

>>7211687
I use one of these table edge drafting boards myself for trad stuff. Theres rubber on the bottom side to grip the table edge and you can stack books on the back leg to increase the angle.
WAY better than any desktop easel I've ever used cuz it extends closer to my body and cheaper too.
Only annoyance is the straight edge it comes with... It can hold a page up but it can't hold a small sketchbook.
>>
>>7211465
>How many hours can you hold that working position?
omg how did trad artists survived all these centuries?!!!!
>>
>>7212377
Trad classical artists spent years on just one painting. Today yo have to do much more than that.
>>
>>7212383
Just to make sure, you seriously don't think that they would draw like 5 minutes a day and that's why it took them years to finish the painting, right?
>>
>>7212398
I think many people in this board are a little bit delusional about what implies to "work in the business". You sleep 4 hours and the rest of your "day" (what's that even?) you are on your desk working on whatever shit falls on your lap. To no end.
In the past those people had limitations, day light, material resources, human resources, sickness, those people weren't comfortably painting all day every day non-stop. They were MUCH MORE human than us. They wouldn't recognize us as humans. They fucked, they got drunk and killed people, they did crazy shit. Painting was not their main goal, but living a life was. We turned non-stop production into a way of life. If I have to keep my arm raised like that for 12 hours I would lose my arm. And I work out like a maniac, because otherwise I would be dead already.
>>
That screen really fits my posturemaxxing drawcel aesthetic desu
>>
>>7212409
I work in the 3d business, I had weeks and even months when I slept 2 hours a day because of crazy deadline that was dumped on me (the pay was good, so I agreed), so yeah we work a lot. BUT

I also went to a trad uni for 4 years and I would go to life drawing sessions that lasted 5 hours a day (with some mandatory breaks) and then stay after and would draw whatever still life was thrown around for another 3 to 4 hours, that's for 2 years and for the rest 2 it was making my own thesis with paintings that were around 3 to 2 meters and wouldn't even allow me to sit down much in order to complete them. Working on those for around 7-8 hours a day was a given. No arm was lost.

While you are right about light limitation and other technical limitation like watching the paint dry, an art student in renaissance was basically his teacher's slave and when they got to a good enough level, drawing was all they did. And I hope you know that in order to get good you need to draw a lot, an hour a day wouldn't cut it.

The artist who worked for patrons would do several studies and versions before even starting the final piece of their work. They did not draw just one image for several years. Whenever they fucked or lazied around they still had to produce for patrons in order to eat every day.
>>
sup /ic/, what's the optimal desk arrangement/configuration for a 13in display tab + a laptop, especially if you're using a keyboard heavy app like PS/CSP?

>inb4 just use the tablet's macro keys
I'd love to, but doing so would absolutely destroy my keyboard muscle memory. unfortunately I'm also a wagecuck so i need it intact to use the intuos at workplace
>>
>>7211473
Traditional painting does not have an ui you have to repeatedly use all over the place
>>
File: ergonomics.jpg (3.02 MB, 4160x3120)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>7211461
>Anyone here do anything for ergonomics when working on your desk?
i recently adjusted my desk up high so I can sit on a high chair or stand at it. also it's at a slight incline so i can rest a piece of paper on a little bit of tape.
<-- not a good shot of the desk here but its on the right
>>
>>7214632
you just have to keep changing tools, clean brushes and beat the devil out of them

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.