[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How can I draw like this? I always have to use construction or "gesture" and sometimes that's all i ever do.
I just can't wrap my head around how he does it. It can't all be copies. He started late in life too.
I feel like i'm not even an artist if i can't draw like that. I know it can be done because others have done it (KJG, etc). Subject matter aside, it feels like he can draw anything while all i can ever draw is anime girls and i've dedicated way over 10k hours already to this crap, i drew for decades.
WHAT does it take to be able to start with a nostril and then draw out a full fledged figure in perspective and grace seemingly out of nothing (no ref)? This is absolutely unfair and disheartening. If even he's struggling to make a living doing this, i got absolutely no chance. This is worse than AI threat, because at least AI has limitations.

https://youtu.be/XOlIJ8u7GsU?si=L8IKIGtqtLSBcIG8
>>
>>7213027
Didnt read asshole PYW
>>
idk, the more I practice, the less construction I need over time. Are you sure you've been practicing properly? Would help if you posted your work, even just a sektch
>>
>>7213027
>If even he's struggling to make a living doing this
lol
"just draw bro"
LMAO
that's what this loser gets for tryharding
>>
>>7213027
The simple answer is that they intrinsically incorporate gesture and construction into their process. For example, a nose can tell you everything you need to know about a head's orientation. Careful use of alternating, curved strokes can carry the same expression and motion as any gesture. As you put down more strokes to describe various features, each one can inform the next until you have a complete piece. All this is done in a timely manner so as to maintain consistency in the subject and avoid tunneling or over investing in a piece.

Idk what your process is or what your work is like but if suggest strongly and critically re evaluating your approach to drawing. This is a very demanding and conscious process (until you're coasting off of muscle memory anyway) so avoid getting distracted with music/podcasts/etc. experiment a lot, let it become a meditative and iterative process; let yourself fail and keep trying again and again.
>>
>>7213027
>draw a lot
>draw on paper
>draw with a pen
>draw a lot
>>
>>7213027
copy pawell 3 times
>>
>>7213027
draw with only pen for 1-2 years.
>>
>>7213117
This I how I did it. Also oekaki with pixel brush
>>
File: pw.jpg (622 KB, 1000x1000)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>7213100
also here's my work fwiw
>>
>>7213027
What pen is that?
>>
>>7213142
The issue is that you’re drawing digitally.
>>
>>7213189
not op, anon
>>
File: 6_26_2024_1.png (1.3 MB, 1455x1979)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>7213100
>>7213033
This is my latest doodles combined (thats why it crops abruptly). i just want to have fun drawing, but it doesn't look as creative as the guy in the video and it i often abandon it, feeling defeated. i was kind of forcing myself to draw lately, as i wasn't feeling joy or accomplishment. maybe i'm getting older as drawing started to feel so trivial compared to family responsibilities, which are more fulfilling and meaningful.
But despite that, if i could draw anything out of my arse like that dude, i feel like drawing could be fun again.
>>
>>7213145
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudepen

note: it does not have to be from japan, or even an actual brush pen, there are models which are like normal sharpies, but the tip is long and bendable. but the first ever product was called fudepen. made for ching chong calligraphy
>>
>>7213027
It's talent, we don't have it
>>
>>7213230
>i just want to have fun drawing, but it doesn't look as creative as the guy in the video
don't worry about it. follow what you want to do. Maybe read art & fear, but if it's not moving you then try distancing yourself a bit and trying a new perspective.
>>
>>7213237
Thanks anon
>>
>>7213252
damn, that's what i was afraid of.
is there a surgery or hormone therapy to get talent?
>>
>>7213027
his art would look better/more grounded if he actually used construction.
>>
>>7213027
so... is this character part giraffe?
>>
You may think your ten gorillion hours entitles you to say these things but there's always that one gook who has worked even harder
I would say don't fret too much over it.
>>
i still heavily rely on construction but thinking in terms of the contour can actually end up with a better result. It's really easy to get lost in drawing cylinders and boxes for hands and feet, and sometimes just drawing the outline gives a much better result.

Loomis is amazing for showing a hybrid approach because his figures rely heavily on line.
>>
>>7213230
stop thinking about yourself so much
>>
>>7213230
Your worst mistake was falling for the /ic/ retarded construction/loomis garbage. You need to unlearn this shit and start over.
>>
>>7213027
>>7213230
>I always have to use construction or "gesture" and sometimes that's all i ever do.
Then...don't? Reduce the steps you're taking before starting your sketch to a bare minimum. Simplify the construction. Instead of drawing a fully detailed Loomis-head, draw a simple circle with a cross in the middle. Or if you want to be like the guy in the video, just start sketching immediately on a blank canvas. It seems like you're putting these weird expectations and restrictions on yourself when you can do whatever the fuck you wanna do with art.

> it feels like he can draw anything while all i can ever draw is anime girls and i've dedicated way over 10k hours already to this crap, i drew for decades.
How often do you do studies and use references for drawings? Your visual library might simply be too limited. If you only draw and look at anime girls, of course, the only thing you'll be able to draw is anime girls. Don't be so hard on yourself, anon.
>>
>>7213027
>How can I draw like this? I always have to use construction or "gesture" and sometimes that's all i ever do.
>I just can't wrap my head around how he does it. It can't all be copies. He started late in life too.
It's a matter of experience and talent. Just work hard for years and at some point you won't need to do construction on paper anymore.
>>
>>7213100
Legit good post. A rare sight on ic.
>>
>>7213027
He's got the construction laid out in his head. That's literally it, the image exists in his head and he's just drawing from the reference that only he can see.
>>
>>7213027
all of drawing is just drawing something you drew hundreds of times before, but pretending its your first time. Its like chess, you're not actually doing anything new, you're repeating yourself.

"creativity" is simply past experiences recalled slightly differently. So the answer is to have more experience, either in drawing or in life. I realized this too late.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.