[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled.png (148 KB, 520x878)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
Be honest with me, am I never going to get better at Art? I've been drawing for 14 years almost every day and this is the best i can do and it took me 3 hours to draw, are some people just unable to use their brains in an artistic way? Or am I just Retarded?
>>
>>7214762
you haven't done deliberate practice and that's fine because not every person who draws knows about it. now's your chance to start after fourteen years. good luck anon
>>
File: 1713071981456683.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>7214762
>I've been drawing for 14 years almost every day
What does this mean in practice? I drew a lot through my teenage years and was seen as "the guy who draws good", but I didn't start getting actually good until picking it back up in my 20s and taking it seriously. It also used to take me multiple hours to draw a shitty figure, until I learned how to learn.
I do think differences in aptitude exist but none of that matters if you're not taking it seriously (rather than casually) in the first place.
>>
>>7214762
How much of that "14 years almost every day" was life drawing? Specifically, figure drawing from life?
>>
>>7214776
>learned how to learn
Well don’t keep the secrets to yourself. I’ve only been drawing for a few months, but I haven’t noticed *any* improvement at all. I also feel like like I don’t know how to learn? What is deliberate practice?

Inb4 copy the masters — what am I even supposed to be thinking about while doing that? Maybe my reality is off? I just wanna be able to draw halfway decent figure gestures and turn that into a mildly halfway decent figure.
>>
>>7214762
>I've been drawing for 14 years
I don't care how you spent all those 14 years drawing everyday, deliberate practice or not, you should have improved beyond this. My guess is that it has something to do with your IQ (hear me out okay?), you were unable to recognize flaws and get better. I'm sorry.

On the other hand there's 95% chance you're lying and you're just shitposting.
>>
>>7214799
I mean I wasn't the anon who used the term "deliberate practice," though I guess that can describe it. It's more about being engaged and enthusiastic all the time, always thinking about art, feeling positive while drawing, being able to motivate yourself easily. Every day is a discovery. I know that's vague but that's the best way I can describe it. It needs to consume you.
>>
>>7214762
Because you only draw for fun. You have no desire to improve beyond beg. Is it a bad thing? Nope. Is it bad wasting 14 years of your life drawing like a preschool kid? Yup.
>>
>>7214811
>always thinking
This is kind of the core concept here
You have to think, have goals and strategies and methods, and not just mindlessly wander.
Always think.
>>
>>7214830
Yeah, basically. For me I wasn't going to do anything on autopilot for long, even if it was nominally beneficial, I get bored too easily. It's bad for routinized work but great for something open-ended, broad, and inherently creative like art.
>>
>>7214799
Look up guides and learn about construction, gesture, and perspective. Learn about human proportions and anatomy. Learn about composition, color theory, and values. There are like a million books and video tutorials out there that teach these subjects in detail. You need to apply yourself and seek out knowledge. That's what most beginners get wrong. "Just draw" isn't meant to be drawing anything with zero thought put into it. You seek out knowledge and then apply that knowledge to your art. You practice what you learned enough times until it clicks and it's permanently stuck in your head, then move on to the next subject. If you don't understand something, it means you haven't consumed enough knowledge and haven't practiced enough.

You won't get fluent in a 2nd language's grammar and vocabulary just by listening and writing them down once or twice, the same way you won't become a mathematician by calculating and writing down 2+2 every day for 14 years. Art is a skill, so treat it like one. You need to keep struggling and seek out an ever-increasing resistance to grow and improve. It won't come by itself.

Here's a step-by-step guide by a professional that should help you get some structure.

https://davidfinchart.com/where-to-start-and-where-to-go-from-there-a-roadmap-to-professional-quality-art/
>>
>>7214762
Yeah, just stop already and do something else
>>
>>7214811
How is it even possible to be positive and enthusiastic in the first few years of learning art though? I only ever had that in the first few weeks when I was just starting out and knew nothing.
Then I spent 4 hours everyday for 1 1/2 years grinding forms, gestures, construction and copying anatomy drawing and I genuinely started feeling more miserable the longer I was drawing, because there was almost no improvement,
even with noticing mistakes, comparing and fixing them. I obviously drew stuff I wanted to and also copied some artists I liked for a few hours afterwards too, but I also only noticed minor improvements there over time and then
started actively regressing. I've been on a break for a few months now and still think about drawing and fundies everyday, but I just feel like I'm gonna end up wasting even more time of my life trying to learn something that
I'm not capable of. Do you need to be some kind of masochist to actually make it as an artist or am I just retarded?
>>
File: E8tYE8mXIAQllAj.jpg (223 KB, 1242x1544)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>7214908
>How is it even possible to be positive and enthusiastic in the first few years of learning art though?
>Then I spent 4 hours everyday for 1 1/2 years grinding forms, gestures, construction and copying anatomy drawing
Because I never did this, that's nutty person shit
Something new every day or at least every week. Always something new to look forward to. Art first, study second (if applicable).
Haven't done a serious study in a while, doesn't feel as necessary as it used to be. Well, other than recently doing 3 weeks of 30-40 minutes of figure drawings, if you count that. But if I ever get dissatisfied with something, then I study. Trusting your stomach to tell you it's hungry.
>>
>>7214762
You clearly haven't actually studied any fundamentals worth exploring and just feel too scared to do anything noteworthy to enjoy the process. You want that over rendered slop without understanding how to get there.

You're not doing what others did, that's the problem. That's always the problem. Time means nothing without effort and knowledge.
>>
>>7214762
you have mileage and an idea of what you should be doing, so you need to loosen up. It looks like this took you forever to draw because you're terrified of drawing the wrong line or going off course from your sketch. That's why drawings look stiff and beglike.

You need to draw with a different mindset and you'll see gains every day with all the mileage you have. You don't need to learn how to make strokes since you have that down from drawing for years.
>>
>>7214762
That's what you get for drawing gor 14 years at about 50 hours a year
>>
>>7214908
>Do you need to be some kind of masochist to actually make it as an artist
Yes. Autistic, schizo or masochist. You need to pour at least a good 5 years to get even remotely decent, 10 if you're bad. It's not a hobby for the masses, I required to commit a shitload of time for very little reward. Is it worth it in the end? Eh... depends on what your goal is

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.