[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: street-portrait.jpg (123 KB, 640x527)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
I wish I was good enough at drawing that I could go out on a street and draw people who have time to sit but I'd be mortified if my drawing came out wonky and the person left unhappy with my attempt. How do I best pursue this dream without it becoming a nightmare?
>>
>>7217789
Weed. Get high so that you don't care about technical accuracy but instead can just churn out stuff that looks passable enough for average people. Average people don't have standards. It's enough they see something resembling a human being and some details of themselves in it and they will be like:
>Woah, that's me
>>
>>7217793
What's passable enough for average people? I don't think I'm there yet.
>>
>>7217789
jesus that guy cant draw at all. looks nothing like her. shitty anatomy. not even the right shape mouth or eyes.
>>
>>7217794
You need to train your eye and mind for that. Most artists rate their skill lower than it actually is because they have optimal image in their mind how the pic should look like and they compare the actual pic to the mental image while everyone else is free of that burden and just sees the pic as it is.
>>
Let's see. When you draw at the street, you need to churn out the pic out in about 15 minutes.

Draw a caricature or realist picture of pic related in 15 mins and we'll see if you ready.
>>
>>7217799
He's seeing her from a different angle than a camera, model is constantly moving (slightly, but still) and he has only 15 minutes or so. I don't think you know what you're talking about.
>>
File: sign for OP.png (54 KB, 700x1115)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>7217789
Just make a sign like pic related that you will draw people for free so there is no pressure, and let them keep the drawing if they want it.

Do it for a few weeks till your skills get good. Then start sharging money for them.
>>
File: 1691979887156573.jpg (80 KB, 720x1150)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>7217799
>can't draw at all
>is literally drawing
ok
>>
File: ristratti.jpg (242 KB, 916x916)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>7217789
That's my plan for the summer.
And I did it once before... I made like 5 drawings over 5 afternoons in a busy touristic street of Bologna for 15 to 30 euros (plus a quick one for an annoying beggar who gave me 35 cents in exchange).
>>
>>7217809
>you need to churn out the pic out in about 15 minutes.
I was quite slow, between 40 and 80 minutes. Some clients got a bit impatient by the end but not enough to leave or try to haggle the price down

The other day I read about the portraitists in Paris (there's a designated street for that in Monmartre) and they were saying a portrait took half an hour and a caricature 10 minutes.
>>
They must have developed a certain method to cover both speed and accuracy by now.
>>
>>7217789
I would do it if I could pump 10 min charcoal portrait sketches, is the only way I see this working.

>>7217873
even 15 min is way too much time for so little return.
>>
>>7217870
are those from life?
>I'd be mortified if my drawing came out wonky and the person left unhappy with my attempt
thats my fear as well desu. It makes me hesitant to ask other people to pose for me.
>>
>>7217888
>even 15 min is way too much time for so little return.
For me or the client ?

If it's for me I must say to OP the main issue was drawing people in, not drawing them. Once I was done most of them were happy with the results, passerbys looking over my shoulder sometimes made appreciative comments, but few seemed to want to sit down and get a portrait.

>>7217890
>are those from life?
Yes.
>>
>>7217789
I did this for a few weeks in NYC a number of years ago. Tips:

- get a big stand-up sign like the one that guy in your pic has, do a bunch of painstaking copies of recognizable celebrities, preferably famous photos of them, the ones everyone knows. Hell you don't actually need to do these yourself, just get some from the internet and do high-quality print-outs.

- make the other side be caricatures. Get good at those too.

- make your pricing sign say Charicatures $5 and Portraits $50, but make the $5 *huge* and the $50 tiny so you only see it upon close inspection

- at the *end* offer to spray-seal fixative for $10 and offer a mylar bag with a piece of cardboard to keep it safe for $20. You do this at the end so they're 'locked in'. They want to protect that drawing after all, right?

- get comfortable hawking at people, get their attention, dealing with dads and boyfriends. "Oh look she's so beautiful, you can have a picture of her on your wall forever!"

>>7217956
>main issue was drawing people in
This 1000%.
>>
>>7217789
You can’t control how others feel about a portrait you made about them, however you can control how many portraits you draw so that they’re as accurate and appealing as possible when the time comes
>>
>>7217789
Draw potraits timed at home first until you can pump em out pretty fast and reasonable quality.
You can even play NYC background noise to get used to it or whatever.
>>
>>7217854
Damn. This is a pretty good fuckin idea.
>>
>>7217870
What is this thing that you’ve got the portraits sitting in called?
>>
learning to do basic portraits isnt super hard. you see begs doing it all the time (copying from life is a skill and its not super hard to learn)
also, i think most people find moderate art skill impressive. there are many very popular artists without much skill.
the average person probably doesnt know enough about art to be a great judge of a good portrait, theyre used to seeing childrens drawings and maybe other adults drawings who arent pro artists
>>
>>7218023
bros never seen cardboard
>>
>>7217789
>go do art in your city
>get attacked by honor role students
yeah no thanks
>>
>>7218049
And the part holding the photos? I’m not asking what it’s made of you stupid nigger. What is the whole thing, the board + the photo holders, called?
>>
>>7218023
Yeah, cardboard, cut from a big box I found in a dumpster.

>>7217991
Shit are you jewish or something ?
>>
>>7217956
both, the compliments are nice and all but I don't see the gain investing 30-60 min given the setting, but that's just me, good luck!
>>
>>7217956
I like the onw with the hat. Also ur style is pretty clean which im never able to do. Any tips?
>>
>>7218095
>And the part holding the photos?
Huh ? it's still cardboard... I made four diagonal cuts, slipped a blade behind to unglue the top layer, and tehn I slid the sheets corners into them...
>What is the whole thing, the board + the photo holders, called?
A... sign ? a display ? maybe a showcase, I don't know, ESL here ? A triptych ?
Not sure what you're asking...
>>
>>7218101
>Not sure what you're asking
Like how a picture frame is called a frame. Even if it was made out of plastic and cardboard, you'd still call it a picture frame. Does this type of "frame" have a specific name?
>>
>>7218098
I'm a neet so nothing to lose, but you're about right.

>>7218099
Thanks. Hard to say without comparing to your work... Maybe this simple thing : I drew these starting with 2H, then 4B, and 8B. By the time I"m done the 2H sketch lines are almost invisible and I erase what is visible.
>>
>>7218105
Not that I know.
>>
>>7218106
damn i never used H anything at all. usually 6-8b
>>
>>7218096
>Shit are you jewish or something ?

lol no, I'm advising based on what I saw other people having 'success' with. My plan was to just bring a little sign with only text, get my first customer, then use that to impress passers-by and get a 'chain' of customers.

But then I got there and everyone else was seemingly selling portraits for only $5, way below the 40-50 I thought I would charge. So I sat for one of them to see how well they could draw and once I was sitting I had the experience described. Then I walked around town and noticed they ALL had the same drawings on their displays, and I got up close and realized those were fucking print-outs. I watched them draw and they all sucked.

Then I found a foreign eastern-euro guy with no sign, totally different easel setup and his work was acutally fucking rock-solid. So I waited until he was done drawing and started to talk to him. He was impressed by my work and seemed really happy to share tips, even though I told him I was his competition.

"Yes but you are artist! not like the chinks! They have no love for this art they are just business business!" I hadn't noticed it till then, but all the other guys basically had the same setup and they were all some sort of asian. "I used to come and do this every summer and I get big crowd! But now chinks ruin everything, they just scam scam scam"

After that point I realized the other guys with the same setups and the printed drawings were probably all working together or for an organization of some sort, since their setups and signs and business approach were basically identical.

None of them gave me any trouble though, I had someone suggest that I'd get mugged for being in someone's 'vendor territory' or some BS but no one cared at all, not even other artists.

Also, the eastern euro guy fucking hated Obama and spent some time telling me that all american women were basically whores. He was a riot.
>>
>>7218095
>Mans calling someone else a stupid nigger when he cannot literally see that the folder is just a big cardboard box cut at the corners.
Come on brother, I know you're better than that.
>>
Practice on photos. And smoke weed anyway! :D
>>
File: 20240702-163616.jpg (808 KB, 1110x1657)
808 KB
808 KB JPG
>>7217870
Here's what I can do in 30 minutes now. I tell myself it's good enough for normies.

I'm taking >>7217991's advice of using recognizable celebrities for my incoming sign, but without false advertising.
>>
>>7217799
Tell me you are a delusional beglet without telling me you are a delusional beglet.
>>
>ctrl+f
>likeness
>zero results
I admit I'm surprised, I think this is by far the hardest part here.

Can you guys give any tips on how to proceed, or any books or videos that helped you with this?
>>
>>7218892
Take away the red and you’re cooking . The red makes it look too busy imo
>>
>>7217789
i dont know how to draw at all and ive done this twice. one them got pretty annoyed after he saw my drawing
>>
>>7217789
>How do I best pursue this dream without it becoming a nightmare?

You start.

I am not kidding:

1. Go somewhere outside and just start sketching people and things. They don't have to know that you are drawing them. This is to help you get more comfortable drawing outside.

2. Find someone to bring along. They can be there for moral support, another artist, or they can pretend to be your first customer.

3. Find where other artists are congregating and ask them questions and just watch them work, see what kind of materials they are using and what kind of signage they have. What are their hours? You can even follow them to keep in contact with them. Some stream themselves doing it online. I would even suggest to keep these spots in mind when you are ready to start drawing outside for money.

4. Go to big events, such as parades, etc. You can offer to draw people for free or $1. It would be preferable to find a space where there's seating and tables so you can save money.

5. (Optional) Make a series out of it. If you post your process up and if anyone is in the neighborhood and want a picture from you they will be able to find you to get one, assuming you want to use it as a way to advertise your services.

I highly recommend finding other artists and sticking with them. Artists like helping other artists (some don't), but generally speaking any decent person will be more than happy to help/guide you.

Good luck.
>>
>>7219801
Also:

6. Set up payment that is really popular with people wherever you live. This way you don't make yourself an easy target for thieves. You can even set up a QR code that has all different ways for people to pay, give you tips, etc. Unless you live in an area where no crime exists, at all, and you rather cash I would suggest just keeping your money next to you or in a really safe spot.
>>
>>7219673
likeness is the hardest skill to develop. anything, and I literally mean even a single millimeter off, can ruin the sensation of likeness. it could be where you show your lines, or how you shade. the only way to get good at conveying likeness is to practice until you can recognize those small errors in your work and adjust. there is no easy way to learn except practice

tldr just draw
>>
>>7217789
Prob by just drawing through observation constantly to get a handle on rapidly sketching people. And then just getting used to not being able to erase with with pens/markers

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.