[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1718551407083.jpg (644 KB, 1568x1145)
644 KB
644 KB JPG
How do you properly learn appealing facial proportions and convincing expressions in regards to anime
/manga styles, and how do you avoid ending up like pic related even if you know your fundies?
>>
>>7223017
>kill my dad

Yikes, the edge.
>>
>>7223017
You'll never be able to draw like picrel.
>>
File: 1716914833623254.jpg (66 KB, 366x364)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>7223017
>How do you properly learn appealing facial proportions and convincing expressions in regards to anime
/manga styles, and how do you avoid ending up like pic related even if you know your fundies?
There are numerous problems with the OP image, but the obvious one with the face is the symbol drawing. None of the features have form - they're all just "glued" onto the head. As to how to not end up drawing like that? Study real life expressions and faces and apply them to your style - compare them with other manga artists you like and see how they interpret those faces and expressions. What you're doing is capturing the "essence" of an expression - you're not drawing a one-to-one copy of an expression. Western comic artists sacrifice appeal in favor of realism. You want to be able to modify the shape of the head and facial features in a way that suits your anime style. That could be by enhancing detail and likeliness (shounen manga) or decreasing detail and likeliness (moe). Just keep practicing and keep studying.
>>
File: 10.jpg (102 KB, 728x1042)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>7223030
Takehiko Inoue's style really pushes "semi-realism" while keeping the appeal of a manga design, for instance.
>>
>>7223032
And on the opposite end of the spectrum you have Takehito Harada who almost exclusively draws girls he finds sexy, so he focuses on that with big eyes, thin bodies, exaggerated expressions and hairstyle, etc.
>>
File: chihiro.png (1.45 MB, 1200x675)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>7223017
Kagurabachi's author is actually really good at drawing faces when he isn't under a weekly chapter deadline.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 168x300)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
I don't know. I think Im pretty decent at drawing expressions but sometimes I still mess it up.
>>
>>7223017
wanting to avoid picrel is why your ngmi
>>
>>7223017
Is this just one guy spamming threads about this manga or is this the new FOTM shonen slop?
>>
>>7223034
>who almost exclusively draws girls he finds sexy
>picrel
So he's a pedophile?
>>
>>7223048
yeah, he's a pedo who can't draw
>>
>>7223056

He's got his works in a dozen published games and you didn't. Know your place.
>>
>>7223058
>being popular means you're more skilled than others
do you think justin bieber is one of the best musical artists too
>>
>his art is bad because I don't like his subjects
is this board full of children? what the fuck is this logic
>>
File: IMG_4332.jpg (3.19 MB, 4032x3024)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
>>7223062

I didn't say he was popular, I said he's a career established, resume backed, results driven artist and you haven't even gotten off the launch pad.

Here's another perspective for you; your works will never be in a physical book, published under an established company (Udon), in my hands and flipped through a million times because I like their work that much. They can draw, and it's proven.
>>
>>7223095
I've gotten off the launch pad, wouldn't want your hands touching anything I've worked on anyway.
>>
>>7223109

>I've gotten off the launch pad

failure projects don't count
>>
>>7223094
His faces and expressions are abysmal regardless of the subject matter
>>
>>7223062
>justin bieber
your age is showing, gramps
>>
>>7223017
Every time I see this happen it's more related to the artist being somewhere on the spectrum.
>>
>>7223017
>and how do you avoid ending up like pic related

Anon most people here cant even get to that level, so you've got nothing to worry about
>>
>>7223035
Nothing about that face is really good
>>
>>7223158
Nothing about your taste is good
>>
>>7223095
>because I like their work that much
Fuckin pedophile
>>
>>7223017
>Another JJK thread
Anon's falsefagging worked
>>
>>7223215
>Mistaking Bachi Kagura for JJK
>>
>>7223034
Sexoooooooo uuooohhhhhhh
>>
>>7223217
>mistaking demonslayer for bocchi the rock
>>
>>7223095
I want to fuck this flatty demoness so much
>>
>>7223058
You're posting on an anonymous imageboard, you have no business telling anyone here to know their place.
>>
>>7223400
>You're posting on an anonymous imageboard
that I am
>you have no business telling anyone here to know their place
how does this correlate?
>>
>draw a face normally (for your style)
>selection tool different facial features
>squash/stretch, shrink/grow, move around, rotate, etc.
>???
>perfect proportions
your brain will get used to the new proportions and that will be your new style

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.