[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG20240717200705.jpg (3.47 MB, 4080x3072)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
i may never go back to cross-hatching. you guys got tips???
>>
>>7235567
>i may never go back to cross-hatching
then why do you want tips?
fuck off scrub
>>
>>7235599
because unlike your ignorant asshat ego, i want to improve.
>>
>>7235567
When it comes to this type of situation, it's all about the factora that are very important, but that you don't think they're important

For example, your lines are kind of chaotic and that affects the feel of your drawing, giving it a feel you probably were not going for. I would recommend copying crosshatching pieces by other artists that you like, do it carefully and you will learn a lot
>>
>>7235617
thanks.
i do have to google what "factora" means.

with the chaotic lines, i guess my hands were just a bit too hasty and too tired. any artists you recommend that uses cross-hatching on skin?
>>
File: 1490097283957.jpg (797 KB, 1200x675)
797 KB
797 KB JPG
>>7235631
I meant "factors", sorry
>any artists you recommend that uses cross-hatching on skin?
not really, other than the classics such as Bernie Wrightson. Ideally you should copy the ones that you already like, you probably saw some art at some point that inspired you to draw with crosshatching, so I'd just copy that
>>
>>7235644
damn, that is fuckin awesome

some artist that drew on a comic book i forget was what i had in mind. for now i guess i'm just gonna take a break at cross-hatching and look for inspirations like above pic.

i do wonder if i should mix and match pen points. it is what i'm doing but something always seems off about it. i'm using those uni-pin pens. i don't wanna jump the gun and go to dip-pens yet.
>>
File: 100-dollar-bill-vector-14.jpg (735 KB, 3319x1395)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
>>7235567
There are multiple ways you can do it "right"
However, the main thing is always that whatever you do, it should be consistent.
Which means, you have to do it slowly, and consistently.
The OP pic shows what the end result is if you're too impatient to do it right.
Old Ben here shows what it looks like when you're consistent.
>>
>>7235656
I'm drunk and I meant to say "slowly and methodically" not that it really matters
>>
There's lots of ways to do it, but at the end of the day, you could render a drawing with the laziest of scribbles and it would still look good as long as your values are on point. That's all hatching is, applying values with a pen. I've seen bogus advice floating around /ic/ over the years like "always follow the form", stuff like that, but it all ignores the fundamental goal of hatching and that's to place values.
>>
It's hard to make crosshatching look good on women. Look how Druuna guy does it.
>>
>>7235667
>That's all hatching is, applying values with a pen.
No, it's not. Hatching is way more than just value. How you do the hatching really changes the piece.And there are bad ways to do it, even if the values are "correct".
>>
>>7235668
i forgot about this artist's work. thanks for reminding.
>>
>>7235644
Image: >What did you do with my penis damn doctor????
>>
>>7235668
oh yes old italian coomer masters
>>
>>7235778
but we like coomer masters
>>
>>7235815
>but we like coomer masters
no, we prefer to have self-respect and not to behave like a 13yo teenager discovering how to make magic white goo by stroking his extra finger
>>
>>7235815
I love them frollo and manara are great
>>
>>7235668
Yeah it's very easy to end up with them looking hairy. Hatching always makes surfaces look rough.
OP's mistake (one of them) is applying hatching on like 90% of the girl's skin, when you should only use it in areas of shadow. Or be mega diligent about the strokes like those dollar bill illustrations.
>>
File: Halo jumper.jpg (179 KB, 1089x1280)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>7235567
to add to what >>7235656 said, it's good to block in the general "tone shadow" since it can be really easy to get tunnel vision while hatching and mix up detail shadows and shadow levels of the overall figure, like in pic related
>>
>>7236100
that pic is good. lemme save that.
>>
>>7235975
i do love manara's work. gotta google the other one.
>>
>>7235966
>13yo
Try 8.
No wonder you're a sex negative manchild, you're drastically underdeveloped.
>>
>>7235567
you just throw lines for sake of it. theres no attempt at obeying perspective or geometry of the subject. no spacing or line weight. tails on every line. looks like more effort in the pillow outline than any other part but mostly because its simple hatching and no thought needed for the outline.
>>
>>7236326
>No wonder you're a sex negative manchild, you're drastically underdeveloped.
should I feel insulted? because, you know, Newton, Louis XIV, Da Vinci, etc. were basically asex, right? they knew they were better things to do in life that rubbing one of to some imaginary sexfriend

sorry if I hit a nerve, btw. truth hurts, I know.
>>
>>7235668
Does he do the coloring as well?
>>
>>7236363
noted and will mind your critique upon my next attempts at cross-hatching. thank you.
>>
>>7235567
It looks overworked. You should take work in progress photos. I'll bet that it looked better before you just filled in 90% of her skin. You sometimes got to stop and get away from a piece because your eyes/brain become overstimulated and you end up pounding in value because you've lost sensitivity to perception.
>>
>>7236774
thank you for your points. maybe i'll get back to practicing cross-hatching next week. pen ink fumes are ruining my nose.
>>
>>7236778
You're on the right track, just need more patience with your hatching
>>
>>7236794
wow above pic. i guess i should stick with clarity. thank you anon.
>>
>>7235609
people who want to improve don't start their sentences with "i may never".
why would anyone waste their time helping you, with such an attitude? lol
>>
>>7236802
they already have and i have thanked them for their critiques and advice.
>>
File: file.png (769 KB, 564x914)
769 KB
769 KB PNG
I want to hijack this thread a bit, and just post cool ink stuff for inspiration. I LOVE Kamome Shirahama, she made Witch Hat Atelier and the whole manga is crosshatched.

Franklin Booth is good, Charles Gibson is good, Harry Rountree is good. I've spent some time looking for old fairytale/fantasy novel illustrators from the 19th century to early 20th for example John Tenniel. There's some really detailed hatching in old issues 19th century issues of Le Moniteur de la Mode as well. Pinterest is your friend!
>>
>>7235567
Your just crosshatching to fill shading a total area thats in shadow, your not making any difrences between planes on the subject.
But in the pillow behind her you change the direction of the hatching and that makes it look like there are different planes
Anyways, study hatching masters
>>
>>7237402
cool. i'll check those artists out for inspiration. thanks for sharing.
>>
>>7237407
thank you for the critique. any hatching masters you would recommend other than me just googling the term?
>>
>>7237484
nta, but I like the way jaco does monochrome drawings and try to mimic whenever I can
https://e-hentai.org/g/1498106/d319d79bde/
>>
File: 3465yj45e.png (65 KB, 401x305)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>7235567
you drew her black basically
next time make it more intentional don't ever cross lines (as an exorcise), only draw lines parallel to the running surface of the geometric shape, only dindicate darker tones by either making the lines closer (thats harder) or makign the lines thicker (easier) the lightest parts should break the line or have a hair thin line

debatably major outlines of objects and shapes should have an outline / line anyway even if they would be the lightest surface, this creates an over all flatter look. if you forgo all outlines you have a much more 3d look, neither is necessarily better though the 3d one is very hard to do at smaller scale and not look like bad. since you are already drawing in a comic-ish style i would assume you would keep the outlines.
>>
File: 20231101_095132.jpg (1.01 MB, 1638x2313)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
I think you need to get a feel for wrapping the form. Doodling like this helped me improve
>>
This thread got me down an Italian coomer rabbit hole. I want to go jerk off and cross contour hatch now.
>>
>>7240609
So what's your favorite Milo Manara moment? I like the story of the donkey in the roman Colosseum bit, pretty hot.
>>
>>7240660
Lol, I was just reading that, but I think I like gulevera just being semi nude in general better. The union jack improvised dress that doesn't even cover her snatch is pretty kino.
>>
>>7239054
thank you for the practice advice.

>>7239011
i never thought about using thicker lines for darker tones and thinner ones for lighter. i'll try that 3d thing you mentioned without the outlines. thank you anon
>>
>>7239000
thank you for the link. is a good gallery of his work.
>>
>>7235656
that's an engraving rather than a pen drawing
>>
>>7240948
The point is the same. Rendering form and value with only lines.
Once it's a bill it's no longer an engraving, it's now printed line work.
>>
>>7235656
>There are multiple ways you can do it "right"
This. Stylistically, it really depends on what look you are going for. If you want the "engraved" look, then look at Franklin Booth, if you want more of a ligne claire style, then check out Moebius or Geoff Darrow. Arthur Adams is big into textures. Etc.
>>
If you want good sexy cross hatching look at Frank Cho's work.
https://archive.org/details/frank-cho-ball-point-beauties-artist-18_202307/mode/2up
>>
>>7235567

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsfOCL3Ae9Y
>>
>>7243058
Skip the book and just look at his time lapse YouTube videos. But whatever you do, don't look into his personality. He's cringe and off putting.
>>
>>7243058
I always wonder how people do these LONG hatch lines in such clean strokes.
>>
>>7240948
If anything doing it with a pen is easier.
>>
>>7243287
https://youtu.be/PPpYUbos7JI?si=UJA2-w75VMEqxT-s
Like I said, just watch the video...

Short answer, rotate the paper.
>>
File: 24-07-2024.png (977 KB, 1500x1300)
977 KB
977 KB PNG
>>7235567
crosshatching is real tough shit but if there's something I noticed from way better artists than me (>>7235644 >>7237402) is that they don't use it that much, regular hatching and shapes of flat black are way more important, especially if you're rendering something that is meant to be smooth like female ass you'd probably don't want to use it, hatching is good for showing form, it tells the viewer which way the slope is going, if you add other sets of lines you're kinda muddling that information while also adding texture which again isn't ideal for female forms.
the drawing is real good, especially the way you rendered the hair, I would've ditched the crosshatching and added a screentone digitally, maybe that would've worked a bit better

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.