[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mu20ojvkp1m71.jpg (191 KB, 2780x1136)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
Do you guys use a screenless tablet or a display tablet?
Want to make the jump to a display one.
>Ask in the general
That shithole is lost.
>>
>>7236578
Which one screenless do you have?
>>
>>7236578
I have several display tablets and have been using drawing tablets for nearly 2 decades. What are you trying to find out?
>>
>>7236584
DECO 03
>>7236609
If parallax, wobbling or too small a resolution are too bad to ignore.
>>
>>7236578
I have that one on the right.
>>
>>7236645
>If parallax, wobbling or too small a resolution are too bad to ignore.
Parallax is largely a solved issue ever since display tablets started using laminated displays. There's no gap which is what caused parallax.
Wobble is also basically a solved issue, the only current day tablet I've used with it are ipads, and that's just an inherent problem with their battery powered pens. there's a reason every serious art tablet company uses battery free pens now.
Screen resolution is largely meaningless, most of the time you're either going to be zoomed in or your face close enough to the screen that you'll still see pixelation even on high res displays. I have never noticed a substantial difference in 1080p, 1440p, or 2560p when it came to drawing.

The other main complaints with display tablets was heat generated by the screen being uncomfortable after hours of use, and bad ergonomics.
Heat is anything from nonexistent on most desktop displays, to just mildly there after prolonged sessions but not enough to matter on some mobile tablets.

Ergonomics are easily fixed by using a decent stand and elevating your display and having it at 80 degrees or so, similar to the ergonomics of painting on a canvas.

Do you want any specific recommendations or have any other questions?
>>
>>7236652
I ended up purchasing an Artist 16 2nd gen.

I was scared that things like parallax, wobbliness or shitty resolutions were inherent drawbacks that people just accepted or that were solved by the premium 1000$ Cintiqs.

Thanks. I will have it by monday and hopefully I dont regret this rather expensive purchase.
>>
>>7236656
>1000$ Cintiqs
If only they were that cheap.
you did good
>>
>>7236645
Nta but parallax is almost non-existent these days but even for legacy displays that have it, it's something you'll learn to get around quickly. Same thing goes for wobble. There are tools you can use to mitigate it. Making faster strokes, using smoothing/stabilizers etc. Professionals use tools that have these issues on a regular basis, so if they can work with them so can you.
>>
I have a Huion 16" 2.5k, which is quite decent a tablet. The problem I have is with the ergonomics.
I just can't get it comfortable in any way, I have it on vesa arm, which is a problem but when I used it on the default stand it was also uncomfortable and it was in awkward place on my desk
I think I am going to sell iy and go with a screen-less tablet for the better ergonomics
>>
>>7238930
Too much neck strain?
>>
>>7238981
yeah, too. My vesa arm is also wobbly and too short to use it comfortably but even if I buy much better vesa arm but it still will be probably wobbly, so only good alternative is to set on a desk which as I said was also uncomfortable for me. Idk, I am just kinda afraid that drawing on a screenless tablet will be a downgrade, on the other hand I know that there are a lot of pro artist that prefer screenless tablets
>>
>>7239001
You should prioritize your health. I have a bunch of injuries from boxing and weightlifting and as much as I like display tablets I cant afford to strain my neck anymore lest it blows up.
>>
>>7239001
Did you consider propping it up on a desktop easel?
>>
I have standard paper sized screenless Wacom. Wear paper on top of your tablet for better traction and feel.
>>
>>7236578
Display tablet. 16" is nice.
>>
>>7236578
I drew on a screenless for around 4 years, and I've drawn on a screen for almost 5 now.
I would say neither are better or worse. I feel like I can draw a tad faster on the screen tablet (I only do line work, wouldn't have bothered otherwise and I wouldn't recommend others bother if they can't say the same) but the screenless was comfier to draw on. With a screenless tablet I could comfortably lean back on my chair with my tablet on my lap, but a screen tablet doesn't feel the same. I'm not sure I'd go back, but the screen tablet isn't an instant winner, so I'd say just save the money and stick with what you've got. Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
>>
Howdy, im looking for a draw tab that is cheap but can work in things like blender, maya and of course the usual suspects like photoshop. This will be my first one, so just testing the waters until I ante up for an expensive one.

My main questions are;

- Does draw area size matter?
- Does having a screen matter?
- Is it worth having the extra buttons on the tab?
- Battery powered pen or no? What is the difference?

Cheers in advance
>>
>>7240721
>- Does draw area size matter?
Yes. You don't want to draw on a post it note. Get something closer to a4 paper size.
>- Does having a screen matter?
It's more intuitive but not absolutely necessary. Personally I fucking hate screenless tablets and almost quit digital entirely until I got an old iPad and realized how much more I liked display tablets.
>- Is it worth having the extra buttons on the tab?
Not really, keyboard shortcuts or a macro pad are usually more convenient.
>- Battery powered pen or no? What is the difference?
No.
>>
>>7240721
As the previous anon said, get at least standard paper sized tablet. The smallest one is not good as the drawing area is too small and you are bound to use your wrist only.

Screen vs screenless is up to you. I use screenless one and wear paper on top of it for better feel and traction. I rather look at the big monitor in front of me than hunch over a display tablet.
>>
>>7240816
>>7240831
Cheers for the response, does this one look alright?

XP-Pen Artist 12 11.6‘’ Graphics Tablet Drawing Graphic Monitor Animation Tablet

I can pick one up for $200 and that seems pretty good for one with a screen.
>>
>>7240870
12" for displays feels a bit cramped, remember you lose roughly 1/3 of your screen real estate to most art program UIs. 12-13" is fine for mobile tablets like ipads because mobile drawing software is designed around smaller screens.
16" is the smallest I would suggest for a desktop display.
>>
I'm increasingly of the opinion that screen tablets are huge meme and screenless are the way to go.

>can look at an actually good screen (your monitor)
>far more comfortable to draw for long periods of time
>cheaper
>easier to use keyboard shortcuts
>the tech is basically good forever, no need to upgrade
>>
i never see any talk about the wacom movink does anyone have one or know someone who has one
>>
>>7236656
I think this should be kind of obvious but get a screen protector, those tablets are very easy to scratch up.
>>
>>7240937
Honestly I think screen tablets vs. display tablets all come down to preference of user. There's obvious technological differences as precision, delay, etc.

Personally for me I switch to display tablets and never looked back as the convince of having a tablet on the go was way more convenient for myself personally, but I did enjoy the smoothness of not having to accidentally press buttons while working or having any wire issues of the screen glitching out because the cable was broken and a lot of other things.
>>
>>7240870
12" is too small. 13" should be better. 16" is the best.
>>
>>7236578
I believe in screenless tablet supremacy
>>
I just received it. It is dreamy.

>>7241561
For fucks sake. Really? Do you put one on yours?
>>
>>7241857
Yeah my tablet ended up completely unusable after months of abuse
I could not see the screen
>>
>>7241857
>>7241918
What the fuck are you doing to your tablet? What kind of retard would put a screen protector on a tablet with etched glass? How did you fuck up etched glass with a plastic nib?
>>
>>7236578
been using a screen tablet for a while but it's not all that interesting desu

the first day I got it I was super excited to see just how much I'd improve and it was a big "oh" moment

it's still a little more intuitive than a screenless tablet, but... if I could travel back in time, I'd spend those hundreds of dollars on a screenless tablet + bigger monitors for my computer instead
>>
>>7241918
Some tablets come with a screen protector / anti reflection layer preinstalled that you can remove. It gets absolutely scratched the fuck up within just a few months of use even if you're not abusing it. I was always afraid to remove it until I saw others talk about it on twitter and Jesus, my eyes were so happy once I did. TL;DR, It's safe to remove it, and I recommend you do. The glass is borderline impossible to scratch. I even accidentally dropped it face first once and all it got was a little nick the size of a pixel.

The only downside is that it reflects light a lot more but as long as you aren't drawing with a light source directly behind you it should not be a problem, at least it never has been for me.
>>
Are there inherent disadvantages to screenless tablets? Like no matter how good you are as an artist, you will never overcome these disadvantages? I remember I was watching a guy giving advice on doing "Scotts Robertson how to draw" digitally and recommended to use a screen tablet and if you don't have one, just use a pencil and paper.
>>
>>7242137
can only talk from own experience but drawing on a tablet has always been considerably slower for me than paper, and I've been drawing on tablets for many many years (10+)

but in terms of skill it's the same whether on traditional or on digital
>>
>>7242141
Yeah, the last few days, I started drawing on paper for fun, and I realized, it was very easy, especially during the sketching phase, I surprised myself doing straight line and doing one line perfectly in the first try. On a tablet, even with stabilization, if I want to get a line right, I have to zoom in a little bit, not sure if it is because it is a screenless tablet, or it is just one of the perks of digital, or maybe I'm bad (have been drawing for 4 years)
>>
The only disadvantage, which is also its advantage, is that it's digital. Physically drawing on a medium will always be more engaging, you'll be more in control, there's a smell, a physicality to it that is impossible when drawing digitally. Besides that it's screenless all the way >>7240937.
>>
File: 1553466663550.png (49 KB, 300x260)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>7236578
display tablet and I will never go back to screenless (used an intuos 3 for 13 years)
>>
>>7242307
Goddamn you really used it.

>>7242137
>>7242141
Same. I would say it is way better because there isn't an extra "layer" between your actions and the canvas. After changing to a screen tablet I would say that I no longer have to guess where lines will go if that makes any sense
>>
Does anyone use a stand for smaller tablets like the ipad or galaxy tab? Looking for good ergonomics, something rigid with a lip that won't get in the way
>>
>>7242905
Yeah, me too. After changing from screenless to screen tablet I can draw faster and with less Ctrl+Z-ing
>>
>>7242905
Yeah, the problem is that I have a screen tablet, and every time I use it, I immediately unplug it and start using my screenless one, I'm not sure why I don't like screen tablets, maybe my hand blocking my view of where I'm drawing really bothers me, or maybe because my screen tablet doesn't have any gesture capabilities so if I have to move the canvas I would use the mouse, or perhaps a combination of these small annoying things. (I have a Huion Kamvas 22)
>>
Got an used Cintiq 24 Pro for like 1200. I love it like it's my daughter. It's huge so I had to buy a huge desk too. Did not wanted to pay an extra $500 so I just stacked a bunch of books behind it to lift it up to a comfortable angle.
Disable windows ink if you don't want headaches though.
>>
File: wggw.jpg (8 KB, 117x265)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
my cintiq keeps doings this mid stroke, like turning off for a few frames causing a gap in the line
is my pen broken or is it some driver issue?
>>
>>7244715
I had the same issue. I disabled windows ink in the wacom settings(in everything, not just for the drawing program in specific) and it got fixed. It's a bit more awkward to go back to the drawing program when I tab in and out, but now but in exchange now it actually works properly
>>
>>7244848
tried it and it didn't fix it
>>
>>7236578
I have both, but I usually end up using my display tablet. I'll use the screenless if I want to casually sketch without having to move my screened into position.

>>7242137
Screen tablets make you "faster", since you're not having to deal with disconnected coordination between your hands and eyes. They do NOT make you "better".

>>7242092
The factory screen protection layer on my Cintiq 22 had gotten polished down to a glossy sheen in the center of the screen. I ended up removing it and replacing it with a full-on glossy screen protector. Looks crisp but the backlight bleed is even worse now.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.