[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.jpg (157 KB, 1000x908)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
Can I read Blair instead of Loomis?
>>
i find it odd that Glenn "THICC" Vilppu never wrote anything specifically about animation when he trained generations of animators over the years
All his tutorials are gestures/anatomy/composition, stuff related to painting which is what got him hired in the first place but I wish he wrote something about bouncing balls...
>>
>>7236764
he didn't read loomis, why should you?
>>
>>7236764
You can even read the Bible instead of Loomis. Just read whatever helps you get further.
>>
>>7236764
Yes and you'll get better faster too.
>>
>>7236764
You could probably replace FWAP with Blair, but Blair doesn't really get into drawing realistic human figures so you'll have to move on to Loomis at some point if that's your goal.
If you're interested in animation specifically you could follow up Blair with Richard Williams's Animator's Toolkit. Williams kind of starts with the assumption you already know how to draw and construct etc. but he gets deeper into the technicalities of animation (and also discusses animating realistic or semi-realistic figures).
>>
>>7236805
>Animator's Toolkit
The Animator's Survival Kit I meant.
>>
>>7236805
Cartoon Animation into Drawing Comics the Marvel Way>FWAP into FDFAIW
Loomis was already outdated when this book was new in 1994.
>>
>>7236772
How can the Bible help me get better at drawing?
>>
>>7237288
Lots of marginals you can doodle lewd stuff into.
>>
>>7237217
>Drawing Comics the Marvel Way
I went through that quickly and it seems there are some glaring omissions.
Shading and rendering is barely discussed and there's almost nothing on anatomy, other than some basic proportions. At least they point to Bridgman and Hogarth for learning more about anatomy.
It seems it would work better as a set of guidelines for an artist who already knows to draw and is looking to break into the comics industry than as a how to draw book for a beginner.
The section on composition is at least nifty, the concepts were discussed by Loomis but I think the examples are better here, lifted from real comics.
The bits about exaggerating poses I'm sure are useful to those who dream of drawing batmen punching supermen.
>>
>>7237217
>>7238787
you have to be a complete retard to not realize that drawing comics the marvel way is just a way for marvel to get that extra buck in, and not to actually teach. It rehashes the same basic you can pick in any other decent art book, but waters it down to fit the marvel way narrative. Nobody who made that book expect you to actually learn anything worthwhile from it.
>>
File: 1631215220160.jpg (142 KB, 1148x770)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>
Like the way they show how you go from stick figures, to exploratory "scribbling", to the fully formed figure is VERY illuminating, but I think if you haven't first had someone like Loomis explain constructing the human figure to you in detail there's no way in hell you would understand what these guys are talking about. It's like they just say "hey remember that Loomis book you used to read? It's good stuff, now let me show how we do it in the real world". The final stage is basically "and then just draw the rest of the owl" since they haven't explained shit about anatomy or rendering.
They're clearly just explaining the specific Marvel house method to someone who already knows how to draw, but they've dressed it as "kids, this is how you draw the batmens" because that sells better.
>>
It's also hilarious how a book ostensibly about drawing comics says absolutely NOTHING about how to lay out a page and compose it so that it guides the reader through the panels in the correct order.
It's shit.
>>
>>7238797
It's almost like you don't really need all that fluff in between. Just the exploratory scribbles, and the finished batman.
>>
>>7239879
That wasn't the point, the point was this is supposed to teach you how to draw the batman in the first place. It's missing explanatory steps, you can skip those when you know what you're doing, you can't skip them if you're teaching.
>>
>>7237288
> he doesn't know
>>
>>7239909
>It's missing explanatory steps
Do the exploratory scribbles
Look at reference
Draw the Batman
That's it
Do you need your food chewed and pre-digested for you too?
>>
>>7242095
I don't but those who need to learn it do
That's kind of the whole point of a how to draw book.
Otherwise you might as well say just draw.
Loomis is still the only one who adequately explains what happens between the circles and the finished owl.
>>
>>7236764
preston blair is the GOAT

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.