[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240721_121125.jpg (778 KB, 2880x2880)
778 KB
778 KB JPG
Anyone notice how japanese artists more often than not draw the face within the circle.

Whereas in western resources they often draw a pointy triangular shape underneath for the chin and the circle represents the eyes and brow part.
>>
File: file.png (54 KB, 440x479)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
>>7239968
it works, I will use JP technique now
>>
>>7239982
nobody on social media will boost you for a front view of an anime bust shot

might as well use AI
>>
File: file.png (56 KB, 446x474)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>7239987
how about 3/4
>>
>>7239982
Op here. I found that when I used resources from Japan like this book it generally made my art more authentic so I'm glad u like it. The book is called shojo manga no nyumon

An introduction to shojo manga. It's from the 70s

Less western "how to draw anime book" lookin
>>
Tezuka also wrote a book but it's almost 0 diagrams, not translated and very basic. For elementary school kids
>>
File: do-you-eat-me.jpg (52 KB, 482x520)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>7239968
you don't even need to draw those lines though. just draw the face.
t. expert anime drawer
>>
File: file.png (51 KB, 376x418)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>7240001
Yeah, I actually checked some jp artists just now and they all really draw the head inside the circle, if this is an actual technique then I will use it, I don't find any benefit in the western one anyway, I even feel it limits my head silhouettes
>>
this is the most hilarious thread of the year, put me in the screencap
>>
>>7239982
>>7239999
>>7240021
Those are some cute Gous :3
>>
>>7240021
Whoops didn’t mean to reply to you
>>7240001
Thanks for the book rec anon.
>>
>>7239968
>Whereas in western resources they often draw a pointy triangular shape underneath for the chin and the circle represents the eyes and brow part.

There is nothing groundbreaking in your so-called "japanese method", what they do in your example is mark the area where the head will be and then divide it by 3, which is one of the most classical things you can do, it's universal.

whereas the "wester method" is basically something someone did on the internet once and then it propagated via tutorials and whatnot. it's even questionable where it came from, an adaption of loomis? some adaption of animu shit?
>>
Is it really more common for them to just use a circle? It seems to me that some variation of Loomis is most popular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWEKKwKZtWU
>>
>>7239968
i've seen books that do both
its really a matter of taste
the important part is understanding proportions
>>
>>7240045
Some use this head within the circle, some use Loomis where the bottom of the circle is the mouth, some use Blair where the bottom of the circle is the eye line.

Most seem to use Blair but people mistake that for Loomis because they haven't read any other drawing books.
>>
>>7240064
>google blair
>expect some serious book on art, since not reading it is same as" haven't read any other drawing books."
>finds books on how to draw toons
mf, stop making it sound as if it's something noone should miss
>>
>>7240031
What do u mean divide by three? Sorry
>>
>>7240087
It's how the major features are usually laid on on the head. For Loomis' method of drawing the head, it's the Brow, Nose, and the bottom of the chin in equal separations,
for the method OP is showing (though it's not exactly equal thirds), it' the top of the eyes, bottom of the eyes, and the bottom of the chin.
>>
>>7240068
Yeah keep trying to force anime girls to follow Loomis' shitty 40's commercial art style instead of using the guy that animated Bambi, the film that inspired anime in the first place.
>>
>>7240018
It's kinda the same technique... you're really only using the solid circles for the dome of the head in either case but expanding vs contracting the silhouette is the choice being made here. Also notice the back of your head here is overextended past where it should be. That's why the "western" method is more popular.
>>
>>7240001
is it uploaded anywhere?
>>
>>7240094
And where did i praise loomis or even mentioned him?
>>
File: 1542021986521.jpg (9 KB, 150x167)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
the japanese method is dumb. Why even draw the circle in the first place. it's useless
>>
>>7240087
>>7240091
>For Loomis' method of drawing the head, it's the Brow, Nose
It's not Loomis' method, he didn't invent it, it existed before him. Those are the basic proportions of classical human head construction: chin to nose base, nose base to brow, brow to hairline. One eye length fits between the eyes, the mouth opening is positioned on the upper 1/3 line of the distance between chin and nose, ears are sitting on the chin to nose 1/3, eyes are sitting on the upper 1/3 line of the distance between nose base and eyebrow.
>>
americans make ugly art now because the culture of art died in the 1980s where asia, europe and russia have cultures where art is still endemic to their identities
it isnt hard to make non-ugly art, its that they keep looking at the same ugly things so you can only then end up making ugly things. not a talent or skill issue, more of an exposure thing
>>
>>7240184
What kind of Ameicans, dip shit? We have whites, blacks, Hispanics, and the so called Asians from the 3 major nations you caress the ballsack so much living here.

Here’s some homework for you and don’t worry, it’s open book. Type into google the demographics by race for Art Center and Gnomon. I want you to look at who dominates and I want you to ask yourself where all the good art online in western social platforms like Artstation comes from.
>>
>>7240191
you all, regardless of you color, only have one culture, consumerism.
>>
>>7240191
im not reading your psychobabble
>>
>>7239987
kys
>>
>>7240213
US consumerism is the biggest export the world has ever seen. It's not limited to the US. It has been slowly massaged into the fabric of international society over many decades. The countries with the most McDonalds and most liposuctions and most billionaires and most advertisements are seen as the successful countries. The more dollars move around and the faster they move, the superior.
You can't defeat this by your irrational divisional rhetoric about "American culture" but through international solidarity.
>>
>>7240118
No. I just have a copy I bought on rakuten. It's fairly cheap
>>
>>7239968
Never seen bottom before. You're just a generalizing westoid retard.
>>
>>7240243
Almost every book I have uses this method. Wether kazuo umezu or this one or araki the jojo dude ect ect ect
>>
>>7240251
>book
I don't care about instructional books. We're in the age almost every artist records their process. I don't see artists actually using a method like this to make actual artwork.
>>
>>7240258
Bro these are from the 70s there was no pixiv or yt then
>>
>>7240240
>You can't defeat this by your irrational divisional rhetoric about "American culture" but through international solidarity.

I was referring to his talk about cultural diversity.

And how are you going to have solidarity with someone who has no issue with this cancer, don't see it as cancer and sees it as peak culture?
>>
>>7240270
Everything has become so surface level, it's sickening. Cultural diversity and consumerism can exist side by side, without correlation or being one and the same. Consumerism exists in Japan too, just a side note. Hate the US's consumerism and militarism, not the people or their culture.
>>
>>7240291
>Hate the US's consumerism and militarism, not the people or their culture.

Their culture is consumerism. I don't hate americans, but there is nothing to like about consumerism, it's a disease and cultural diversity as it stands now is deeply infected by it, there is no side by side.
>>
>>7240184
>>7240191
>/pol/slop arguing with /pol/slop
>>
File: tsu.png (170 KB, 338x317)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>7239968
Speaking of, how would you do this on heads like this? I'm sucking at make eyes work when it leans vertically.
>>
>>7239968
Constructoids never cease to amaze me. What's even the fucking point of the circle when all you needed to learn was this line?
>>
>>7240424
The line that's between the two horizontal parallel lines helps the beginner artist to learn that the eyes should be similar sizes to remain balanced.

It also helps to encapsulate the little dent at the side of your face that holds the eyes. It becomes prominent at a 3\4 profile.

The contour of the face isn't linear and is often for beginners fairly tough at first.
>>
File: 1690880365088926.png (1.24 MB, 1531x2160)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>7239968
Take the wheel pill
>>
>>7239968
so this is the key difference between westoid anime and japanese anime....
>>
Makes sense. Think about it. They're used to kanji paper. They should be able to do individual brushstrokes within a divided space.
>>
File: animedrawer.png (351 KB, 640x605)
351 KB
351 KB PNG
>>7240010
?
>>
>>7240221
They hated him because he was right.
>>
here's a secret
its not the circle that makes it anime
>>
File: image.png (68 KB, 368x302)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>7239968
pissed off at how this shit made it click for me
>>7240151
It helps with placement of the features which is more important than keeping the 3d shapes consistent since the edges of the faces make no sense on anime.
>>7239982
>>7240018
>>7239999
cute and quads!
>>
>>7239968
yes asians have winder cheekbones which gives them the appearance of a round head. it's not a coincidence they do this.
>>
>>7239968
This just work.
What a waste of life.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.