[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1702742721561994.png (3 KB, 89x83)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>see a sweet drawing
>want to find out who the author is
>see signature in the corner
>picrel

Why do artfags do this?

>inb4 OP can't read cursive xd I can read this perfectly fine

go ahead then
>>
>>7242129
too bad there isn't a way to search for images on google
>>
>>7242131
sometimes it works, other times it doesn't
>>
>melanin thread
>>
For me, it's artists who do this.
>>
>>7242129
For me I feel like it’s a subtle way to let people who follow you that it’s your stuff. Plus personally, plastering a social media handle or watermark on my art just seems really intrusive and gaudy
>>
>>7243124
you can just draw your @poopface somewhere in the corner, subtly, nicely, tastefully
it doesnt have to be a shit ass watermark that covers half the thing
like come on
do you not want exposure? do you not want someone who stumbles on your thing to become a follower???
>>
>>7242350
What even is this?
>>
>>7242129
the best artists don't even use a signature lol
>>
>>7244504

A signature asserts dominance.
>>
>>7244504
Which is a mistake since reverse-searching a picture leads to nothing but pajeet AI slop now. An identifier in the corner of a drawing may well be the difference between somebody getting to enjoy more of your content or your content becoming lost in the sea of trash.
>>
>>7242129
>Why do artfags do this?
Relic from the pre-digital days. The purpose was to make a complex enough signature that it increased the difficulty of forgeries. Some made them stylized enough to act as a sort of logo.

What most people miss is that any physical piece of art that the artist (or the commissioner/buyer) felt was worth anything would write on the backside to show who did it, the title, and typically when it was made.

Despite the shift to digital, artists just kept doing it because it's "what you're supposed to do, right?" and they think it makes them seem more professional, when we don't have a "back side" of the image for the relevant info now. It's more important IMO to treat a digital piece like a polaroid, extend it out in one or more directions to "frame" it and write the info in that new margin.

Yea someone could crop it out, but most people won't because they don't even know how to use a rectangle tool to censor names in screenshots completely.
>>
>>7242350
And yet I can instantly tell that's the wonderful Jeffrey Jones. Actually quite a unique signature.
>>
>>7244507
Great artists assert their dominance through their art, not a signature.
>>
>>7244830
You don't have a single fine art painting on your home walls.
>>
>>7242129
yeah i just put my twitter handle in the corner of my artwork in full caps.
>@OPISAFAG

The average normie is too lazy or stupid to reverse image search.

You also have to remember that if your artwork gets popular it will likely get shared across many group chats, discord servers and indian facebook groups. Your artwork will keep getting jpeg-compressed until you can count the individual pixels.
an unreadable signature or some weird logo won't do shit at that point. Keep your signature clean and readable, and don't shy away from making it bigger.

>>see a sweet drawing
>>want to find out who the author is
>>see signature in the corner
>>picrel
I have the same issue with cosplayers who refuse to watermark their photos. I once argued with one cosplayer, who complained about uncredited reposts on reddit, that if she had watermarked her shit, she at least would gain some new followers from uncredited reposts. She instead argued that if people weren't shitty assholes, this problem wouldn't exist in the first place.
>>
>>7244853
pipe down sweetie and pyw
>>
i do this when i don't want the art to get traced back to me, but want to my name on something im proud of making

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.