[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: trash.png (133 KB, 756x888)
133 KB
133 KB PNG
I've been dedicating some time to learning art but I've slown down significantly in recent months.

I feel like I can learn whatever topic if I apply myself hard enough, but actually applying them to a study or, god forbid, my own work, even if it's as mundane as trying to draw X character in Y pose, almost always comes out shit.

If I could figure out how to apply what I learned to something half decent within reason of what's possible, that'd be sick, but I feel like half the time I'm either failing miserably or putting random shapes down on paper and hoping it turns into something.
>>
>>7245333
Draw from memory
>>
There is a lot of value in finishing a piece you think is terrible. It teaches you to constructively ignore your inner critic. The truth of the matter is your expectations for yourself are higher than your skill level is. Let me put it like this. If you're an athlete you go to the gym to do specific exercises. Why would you beat yourself up for not being an expert martial artist the moment you step onto the mat if you've only been working on getting your body in shape? Learning the fundamentals is a life long process of refinement, but if you only ever focus on learning those and not trying to create pieces with what you've learned you'll never learn how to actually "use your muscles". As you complete more full pieces you'll learn how those fundies work together, what you need to improve on, what is strong, what you'd like to explore next. Also, 9/10 times you'll be somewhat proud you stuck with it and completed a piece. You are what's holding you back bud.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.