[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1725072421336519.png (3.41 MB, 1870x1588)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB PNG
Literally HOW are you supposed to draw someone from a top down angle WITHOUT COPYING A REFERENCE. Its easy with cubes and spheres but the body warps so much that anatomy doesn't even apply anymore. You can't even see their legs in the bottom right picture.
>>
>>7292361
You just got to be one of the greats anon...
>>
>>7292361
>Determine your perspective
>Break down poses by shapes
>Draw
>>
File: backwards assist.jpg (66 KB, 643x680)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>7292361

>what does suppressed gunfire sound like
>what does a sphere look like in perspective
>what does a horse galloping looks like
>where do women's organs go when I fuck them with my comically large and veiny penis
>How does fisheye perspective work

Just make shit up, the audience doesn't know what it's supposed to look like either and every other artist has been winging it for so long they'll think the real stuff looks incorrect now.
I remember someone on this board getting shit on for incorrect anatomy for hours despite having traced over a photo of a real person.
>>
>>7292418
>without copying a reference
>>
>>7292435
You can do that without a reference...
>>
File: cube.jpg (4 KB, 183x275)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
Literally HOW are you supposed to draw a cube from a top dangle WITHOUT COPYING A REFERENCE. Its easy with lines and contours but the cube warps so much that projection doesn't even apply anymore. You can't even see the farthest corner in the attached picture.
>>
File: 08-09-2024 - 12h28m00s.png (149 KB, 765x763)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>7292361
>Simplify body into primitive 3d shapes (cubes, cylinders, spheres)
>Re-draw reference as primitives until you have a solid understanding of their proportions and arrangement
>Keep doing this until you don't need reference
Keep in mind, a vast majority of high level artists use reference and it takes a very well-trained mind to draw off the cuff like Kim Jung Gi. In interviews he talks about how he basically spent every waking moment of his life looking at things and imagining their basic forms and contours because he found it fun.
>>
>>7292361
Are you retarded? This isn't even a beg question lmao
>>
>>7292361
By learning perspective and proportions.
>>
>>7292547
Yeah but your proportions and gestures in perspective suck tho
even with the reference you failed, and if you tried to rotate with your supposed "technique" it wouldnt work because you're just drawing what you think you know and not drawing what observed in the reference. The real answer is to do this on top of accurately blocking in the proportionate silhouettes and shapes, using that to inform the placement and proportion of your constructional forms. Construction is just a tool, still needs observation to train it.
>>
>>7292429
>I remember someone on this board getting shit on for incorrect anatomy for hours despite having traced over a photo of a real person.
>/ic/ krugers pointing out mistakes that aren't mistakes
Hah, never happens.
>>
>>7292361
go grind cubes until they are effortless
>>
File: 1709257891786115.png (2.31 MB, 2092x1783)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB PNG
PYWing my work so you can dismiss me if these are too /beg/ for your level.
Chronological order, not really meant to showcase skill, they were serving the purpose of some storytelling.
All drawn without any pose references, basically everything done through guesswork.

My process is as follows:
>1. Draw thumbnail sketch, stickfigure-tier (in black, top right);
This is important to define the composition. The overall impression this drawing will have on the piece;
>2. Draw a more refined sketch of the main features (blue, top right)
Here I actually encounter problems and fix them until they look good enough;
>3. Draw the rest of the fucking owl.

Sometimes, when a pose is very tricky, I construct it with basic forms to try and understand how it works in 3D space, which is something you should definitely do, BUT, most of the time those constructions are stiff and conflicting with your original vision, especially when you're still getting a hang of it.

So my tl;dr advice is:
- Simplify your idea in basic shapes;
- Sketch it in 2D, using APPEAL as the metric (this is the point of gestural drawing);
- Construct it in 3D, using LOGIC to understand the pose;
- Try to find a compromise between both.
You may have to cheat reality a bit, but a cheated appealing drawing will look better than an accurate, poorly-framed angle. If you want feet to show but logic dictates otherwise, sometimes you can find ways to bullshit it. In the end, 2D impression > 3D consistency, but having as much as possible of both is ideal.

Same applies to perspective drawing, I find.
Learning it is important, but when creating it's better to eyeball everything and only use the rules to correct weird spots.

All that said, I was really stumped creating that last drawing, the arms going down (and then the forearms going up) on a top-down view really messed with my brain, I should have looked for some references instead of just winging it, but deadlines were tight. Hands are not even the same size, wow.
>>
>that big foot
>>
>>7292361
>howie wants to shortcut becoming pro like kim jung gi
>>
>deadlines were tight
nigga what self imposed deadlines are you doing
like bruh i know for sure that nobody is hiring you with dat level of drawing. maybe less so for the gray hair shawty, draw her naked or doing fanservice plz
then maybe i will read your dang mango or comix
>>
>>7292361
If you draw enough of them you will be able to, eventually.
>>
File: Persp.jpg (218 KB, 1585x4079)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>7292361
My shitty attempt at this angle, i think you are supposed to enclose the fig in a tapered plane/rectangle, someone with more skill could show it a lot better
>>
>>7292435
You do it first with reference and multiple time until you don't need a reference anymore you stupid beg
>>
>>7292429
>I remember someone on this board getting shit on for incorrect anatomy for hours despite having traced over a photo of a real person.
they traced it very poorly. when they revealed it was traced, people shit on them even more because of how off the tracing was.
>>
>>7292429
No amount of tracing will help you if you are a beglet. Stop talking if you are one of those.
>>
>>7292944
Its never effortless. Everything takes so much brainpower for me because I'm retarded.
>>
>>7292429
That's the most retarded opinion I've ever read, i'd demand you pyw but it's so fucking obvious you never drew shit in your pathetic life of inane faggotry I'll skip to the part where you kill yourself
>>
>>7292429
False. The person might not consciously know what is "right" but the brain picks up on it. It's why once you learn visual language you can start omitting detail, exaggerating reality, implying detail, etc because the brain does a lot of the legwork. It doesn't have to be perfection, but you just have to persuade the brain into believing it is.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.