[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Have there ever been examples of artists who started their art journey with a realistic/semi-realistic style then switched to a more stylized/cartoonish one with time?
Purely drawing from anime and not from life ruined me significantly
>>
probably lots of artists in the past that started with portray painting (usually realistic) or religious scenes (semi-realistic) until they had enough popularity, patrons or financial security to experiment and do their own thing
>>
>>7298923
Picasso
>>
File: EcWAISJX0AEcT2l.jpg (837 KB, 803x1200)
837 KB
837 KB JPG
>>7298923
Tim Lochner is my favorite example, probably. He used to do the standard artstation deal trying to be like Frank Frazetta, then he embraced cunny and his career took off.
>>
>>7298923
Practically any skilled artist started with life studies and naturally developed a style as they achieved higher and higher levels of mastery. Consciously trying to "put together a style" will only result in symbol drawing and stagnation. Keep doing life and artist studies and you'll get it eventually.
>>
>>7299194
>made a career for himself drawing ecchi fanart of social media friendly characters
Disingenuous pedo, neck yourself
>>
>>7298923
Fuck off asg nigger
>>
>>7298923
Pretty much every comic, manga, video game and cartoon artist trends towards simplification with age and experience.
>>
>>7299653
I mean it makes sense. Masterful simplicity takes a huge amount of skill. Less is more.
>>
File: giw9pf.jpg (17 KB, 300x100)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>7298923
>Purely drawing from anime and not from life ruined me significantly
For me it's the opposite. Realistic styling was a waste of time for me. Maybe it is your taste. But I think it's also your affinity.
>>
>>7299666
curious in seeing your work, did it get a lot better after focusing on anime?
>>
>>7299194
I want cunny with Frazetta's gesture
>>
File: 7uh0hf.jpg (30 KB, 503x496)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>7299194
>sexually mature characters are cunny, ha ha right guys?
Begone, pedophile.
>>
>>7298923
I personally started with realism for the most part and had to rigrously train myself to draw anime.
>>
File: 8ix40gepx8rz.jpg (45 KB, 400x338)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
Before photography was invented, newspapers hired illustrators to draw what they saw on the scene and put that in the paper. When the camera replaced them, many of these illustrators went into commercial illustration, and some of them went on to pioneer comics and animation.

Louis Wain is one such example, best known for drawing more psychedelic cats as he went bonkers. However, this radical style of his was not a result of his deteriorating psyche, but simply him exploring different art styles. During the later stages of his life he still made art in his older style as well.
>>
>>7302610
and he’s beamed into the brains of 1000 uppity niggers as a jewish pedohile on jewish amazon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.