[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: mamieyes (20240918014007).png (1.79 MB, 1540x1544)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
I do get that between the eyes there should be a space of one eye in the gap. But some styles, like Madoka's for example, have a wider gap to make them look cuter. I struggle even when I try to measure it, and draw the eyes too close together. But I have seen some artists effortlessly draw the gap correctly. Any tips or tricks to calculate the gap between the eyes without being too technical? Or better yet, how do you do it?
>>
>>7304473
Trace until you assimilate it.
>>
>>7304473
just draw what looks satisfying to you
>>
>>7304473
the gap emphasizes their youth, since the eye-to-nose distance and height ratios are very important in anime design, especially shonen/shoujo where the characters are teens. it's a kawaii tenant; the closer to the nose and farther apart from each other that the eyes are, the more cute and baby/kitten-like the character is (look at any sanrio character for clear graphic design examples).
placement matters more though, ultimately.
don't focus so much on the distance and instead focus on being able to place facial features correctly in both proportion and perspective on a face at any angle. once you can do that, you can vary the distance and proportions with the confidence that the features will look correct regardless of whether they look "cute".
>>7304986
this is unironically the correct answer, just distilled, at least for anime, since its so shape and design heavy and a lot of rules get bent for the sake of appeal, but an eye in 3/4 view that doesn't look like an eye in 3/4 view will still look weird if you don't know what a human eye in 3/4 view will look like, regardless of how shape-dependent the eye is
a couple big things to know when understanding design decisions around anime eyes vs real eyes: the lacrimal caruncle/tear duct is usually not drawn, the eye lashes and planes of the "tops and bottoms" of the eyelids tend to merge in a lot of designs but the eye's perspective will dictate their shape, the top central corners of the eye socket is sometimes simplified into a line that indicates where the eye lid folds into the brow, and the entire iris tends to change size depending on the characters emotion to not sacrifice the shape of the eye (eg when a character is shocked or confised, their entire iris will shrink to show whites above the eye because we naturally widen our eyes and show the top whites of our eyes when we experience these emotions, but the eyes are already big and the shape of the eyes are too important in anime - its a compromise)
>>
>>7304473
Most faces have the eyes spaced out the same width of the eye itself. The human brain can key into this even in stylized faces, which is why it looks so weird when eyes are too far apart or too narrow.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (26 KB, 324x466)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>7304473
Just imagine she is a cube plush and you can make it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.