[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1695752000049.jpg (52 KB, 700x394)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
Are the prices an overblown meme or do you guys suffer for real?
>>
>>198659168
If you have insurance it’s fine

If you don’t have fun dying on the street when the hospital tosses you out
>>
Just don't pay. It's that simple. Worst case scenario you declare bankruptcy and you can't get a brand new car or a house for seven years. Most of the American finance industry is based around scaring dumb people into thinking that if they don't pay their debt then their lives will be completely ruined forever.
>>
>>198659168
It is unless you have Medicaid, then everything is free. The quality of healthcare is going to be significantly lower, though.
>>
>>198659168
People who are very low income can usually qualify for free or low cost healthcare or assistance in some form.
The ones who really struggle are the people in the 50k-100k range who make too much money to qualify for most welfare, but too little to eat the enormous costs.
This is the socioeconomic class where 90% of complaints and self-critiques of America (at least in terms of finances) that you see online originate from.

Also, if you're not White it's all just free, because for them there are no consequences for not paying. Black people use the emergency room as their own People's Nationalized Healthcare. Some of them even use ambulances like taxis.
>>
>>198659221
That just sounds like the public sector healthcare in my country. A solid bare minimum is good enough. Does it cover everything?
>>198659194
Do you think you pay more insurance than the rest of the world pay proportion of tax that goes to healthcare?
>>
I have a friend who was born with some chronic fucked up condition
They just go to emergency services like once a month and don't give any personal details so they won't go into debt
Insurance apparently doesn't cover everything and you will be left with 5k or so left to pay
>>
>>198659346
Me personally? No, I almost certainly pay less for my healthcare than anybody else in the developed world (but I’m a fed)
>>
>>198659168
The prices are overblown, but hospitals in America are taxed like charities which means little to none. Let’s say I owe 70k for a surgery, I unironically don’t even have to pay for the whole thing. Probably only around 5k for it. Which is still a lot but it’s better than being taxed to all hell for 70+ years. Plus, free healthcare isn’t sustainable in first world countries due to upcoming population collapse and I honestly have no idea how those people are going to take it. Luckily, we’ll be ready.
>>
>>198659506
Just reread what I posted and this is retarded. Just watch this YouTube Short for the gist of it.

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/b43iUJI4_Ms
>>
i will give my own experience with US health insurance in this short blog

i was admitted to the hospital with congestive heart failure due to one of my heart chambers never fully developing as i grew up
i spent 5 days in the hospital with numerous tests done and they wanted to implant a defibrillator in my chest because of my increased risk of heart attack

that hospital bill came out to $100k, my out of pocket maximum was $2k for the year so that is all i paid
when it came time for surgery to implant the defib, that bill came to $40k and insurance wouldn't cover it because it was seen as experimental
after 2 appeals, they requested info from the doctor who did the surgery and it was deemed to be a necessary procedure and they covered it and since this was done in the same year i paid nothing due to hitting my maximum

tldr: $140k or so bill, paid $2k
>>
>>198659417
>but I’m a fed
What benefits does that give?
>>198659506
>>198659575
If the hospitals makes a loss on this, how is the US healthcare system funded?
>>
Which is the truth?
Or is there a big difference between states?
>>
>>198659679
I get access to cheaper healthcare than most Americans
>>
File: 1691926411184381.png (195 KB, 666x2289)
195 KB
195 KB PNG
It's bad.
>>198659346
>The average national monthly health insurance cost for one person on an Affordable Care Act (ACA) plan without premium tax credits in 2024 is $477.
>Average annual health insurance premiums in 2023 are $8,435 for single coverage and $23,968 for family coverage
But employers are mandated by law to pay for some of this and become 'reasonable:'
>If you have an employer-based plan, the cost of a family plan, on average, is $6,575 annually, or around $548 a month
>Employer-provided health insurance covers 55% of the insured population. Ten percent have a plan purchased from a private company, or through the ACA Marketplace or a state health insurance exchange. Around 36% of the population has health insurance through the government
and even with insurance, you're still paying huge amounts as copays/deductibles:
> In 2024, your out-of-pocket costs (deductible, copayments, and coinsurance) can’t be more than $9,450 for one person and $18,900 for a family for an ACA plan.
>>
>>198659168
It's bad even if you have insurance. The hospitals charge for anything and everything. Let's say you go to hospital for a broken leg. They offer you a glass of water. Oops! Big mistake! You just entered into a binding contract where you must now pay for "catering service"!
>>
>>198659679
idk nigga that’s just how everything works in America. The dollar is backed by nothing and so is everything else.
>>
File: 1704073694692760.jpg (62 KB, 976x549)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Why don't you just not pay? It's not like a hospital can refuse to treat you (or can they?)

Whose cares if your credit goes to shit
>>
>>198659706
>where you must now pay
You literally don’t have to though
>>
>>198659742
This is what I did when I had galstones requiring my galbladder to be removed. the only grace is that medical debt can't be reported to credit monitoring companies
>>
>>198659753
You automatically pay if you have insurance, and if you don't have insurance then enjoy being hounded by creditors.
>>
>>198659681

Not much a difference between states except for hospital quality. Unsurprisingly the hospitals in Urbana, IL have far better equipped, staffed and sized hospitals than Jackson, Miss or Mobile, AL. White people hospitals are always better because they pay their employees more money than the local budget hospital. My local public hospital has a posted wait time of 45 minutes on this fine, warm sunday night.

Religion is a factor too. My parents both prefer the local catholic hospital which does everything except non-emergency abortions. Even then they will usually let the baby die in the womb first before they actually take it out, which causes significant mental and emotional trauma for the woman. Public hospitals will kill that thing even if it's ready to come out lol. The local baptist hospital has trump posters in the lobby since he visited the SBC and got their official endorsement.
>>
>>198659704
What? That's not expensive at all for a first world country
>>
>>198659764
>if you don't have insurance then enjoy being hounded by creditors
You realize those losers will suck your cock just for the privilege of getting 10% of the amount owed on a ten year payment plan, right? You can literally just ignore them entirely and there's nothing they can do to you.
>>
>>198659704
>>198659723
God that's confusing.
>>198659742
>>198659753
If insurance doesn't pay them enough for them to profit, don't they have to rely on government subsidies funded by taxes anyway? Wouldn't that end you up with just a defacto public healthcare system that's really inefficient?
>>
>>198659799
>hurr I want to live in a low trust society
The fact is hospitals charge you several hundred dollars for things that should not be charged.
>>
>>198659742

If your credit goes to shit, three major things will happen:

1. Your car loan will be cancelled, and the bank will send a tow truck to pick it up. This will harm your credit further.
2. Your landlord will be contacted and made aware of your change in credit status. Your renters' insurance premium will skyrocket as a result and they won't renew your lease. Your next lease will have much more expensive insurance and will be in a shittier place.
3. Your employer will be contacted, informed of your hurt credit, and they might decide to demote or fire you. They are allowed to do this because people with low credit are considered an insurance liability.
4. The hospital will put a lien on your assets, or refer your debts to a collection agency to do so on their behalf. They will freeze your bank account and take any cash you have stored. If you run out of cash, they will have a court graft your wages unless you formally declare bankruptcy.

If you declare bankruptcy, you cannot get any car loans, credit card loans, student loans, or anything for ten years. Most insurance companies will refuse to work with you so even if you buy a car for cash you will pay a very high rate for only minimum liability coverage. You won't be able to rent in anyplace good because most places don't want losers.
>>
Depends on insurance and what your problem is.
But the prices for everything is way higher.
I got a $50 MRI in Japan, would've cost at least $500, probably $1000 in america.
I got an appointment, IV, and ibuprofen in Japan for around $15-20, it would've cost me $3-500 in America, most likely.
In Japan, I spent a month in the hospital (private room) getting blood tests an IVs every day and it cost around $3,000 in Japan. It would've cost me about $50,000 in USA.

We have something called a "deductible" where you have to pay "out of pocket" before insurance kicks in. so if your deductible is $2,000, you have to pay that much before insurance starts chipping in for your healthcare costs. If I had insurance it would've just been my deductible, and the rest probably would have been covered.

What's crazy is that for something like an MRI, even if I took none of the government subsidy in Japan, it would still be cheaper to pay for it all on my own than to have it done in America.

Because so much doesn't get paid for in America, everything becomes more expensive, so they charge more and bill insurance for as much as possible. Then, insurance companies have to review everything, and because hospitals try to bill them with so much stuff, they reject things. Then, the hospital has to hire staff just to talk with the insurance companies. There is an entire, completely unnecessary industry of people processing, reviewing, rejecting, and appealing insurance claims for the hospital and for the insurance companies. It causes the whole system to be bloated and massively increases costs and wastes time.
>>
>>198659801
Hospitals here make like 5000% percent profit, a few holdouts not paying doesn't make a dent in their bottom line in the slightest. There's a reason healthcare is the most profitable industry by a considerable margin.
>>
>>198659832
One could say the same thing about taxes nigga
>>
>>198659862
Why yes, personal income tax is a scam. Glad we agree.
>>
>>198659834
If you unironically have a car loan you probably shouldn't be trusted with anything more serious than a lemonade stand to begin with.
>>
>>198659742
> Whose cares if your credit goes to shit
Lots of people. If you want to buy a car, you probably need a loan. If you want to buy a house, you probably need a loan. If you need to make repairs on a house you inherit, you may need a loan. If you need a new credit card, they'll check your credit score and adjust your rates based on it. If you want a job involving finances, they'll run a background check and see that your credit is shit and may reject you for it because they'd think you're irresponsible with money.
The need for credit scores is an entirely different topic (it was only invented in the 90s and probably hurts more people than it helps), but it is absolutely used by lots of groups that could make your life very difficult. Access to cheap debt is absolutely valuable and good credit allows for that.
>>
As a regular wagie, you mostly get your insurance from your job. The employer pay something like 75% of the premium while your pay the rest. All those stories of you hearing of people having hundred of thousands in medical debt is because they opted-out of the work insurance thinking they will be saving money and got hit with the full bill when an accident or a sudden medical emergency happened. Never be without medical insurance in the US. Even the most basic insurance has a yearly out of pocket expense. Meaning if the medical cost ceiling for that year has been reached, everything afterwards would be completely free.
>>
>>198659832
You do live in a low trust society. You have your entire life unless you're older than 60.
>>
>>198659857
So are you're saying the US healthcare system works fine or is there something I'm missing? I'm getting a lot of mixed messages from this thread.
>>
>>198659898
Dude, I don't even lock my door. Sucks wherever you live.
>>
>>198659168
Yes, the government has completely fucked our healthcare by letting healthcare lobbyists and lawyers write the rules.
>>
>>198659869
Well that’s how you’d be paying for your “free” healthcare nigga
>>
>>198659907
The US healthcare "works". You receive healthcare, at both hospitals and clinics. You can get insurance (Medicaid if you are poor, Medicare if you're 65+, employers provide health insurance otherwise). But it is ludicrously expensive and you're likely be told that they'll give you drugs to commit suicide but not to help your cancer in certain states.
>>
>>198659891
>If you want to buy a car, you probably need a loan
If you purchase a vehicle in any context where you need financial assistance to do so you're absolutely retarded. "Buying" a new car is invariably a scam in every case, no exceptions.
>If you want to buy a house, you probably need a loan
Someone who's near to or about to be bankrupt is anywhere close to being able to buy a house. How out of touch are you
>>
>>198659908
>Dude, I don't even lock my door
What does that have to do with being a willing debt slave to big finance and the healthcare cartel?
>>
>>198659907
It works just fine and the quality of doctors is great. But just don’t go without healthcare insurance which isn’t very hard anyways if you’re employed with an actual job.
>>
>>198659958
Low trust society vs high trust. You can only get away with not paying for healthcare bills at present because they aren't yet sending bill collectors to your door or putting liens on your home/garnishing wages. If you and those like you keep playing stupid games, you will eventually win a very stupid prize.
>>
>>198659937
>employers provide health insurance otherwise
How do NEETs and between-jobs get healthcare?
>>198659980
I think in some countries they probably still pay less proportion of tax to healthcare than you pay to insurance on average though.
>>
>>198660025
>How do NEETs and between-jobs get healthcare?
It depends on the state, but in general no income = medicaid. In-between jobs is really the ones who fall through the cracks.
>>
>>198659982
>You can only get away with not paying for healthcare bills at present because they aren't yet sending bill collectors to your door or putting liens on your home/garnishing wages
You're clearly clueless about how debt collection in the US works. If you owe significant uncollected debt, it's likely already been sold off by the original creditor. That's because they know already it's never gonna get paid, so they pass it down the line. Eventually, it gets into the hands of some clown "debt collector" who dresses like Jesse Ventura and tells everyone he meets that he used to be an FBI agent. He buys the debt for pennies on the dollar on the hope he can scare some moron into paying him a fraction of the original debt because they don't know anything about how the system works and don't realize that that moron will lose money in the long run if he has to try and collect by force the hard way, which the moron knows. "They" don't do that because that entire system is dependent on people cowing to the system and dutifully paying a megacorporation whatever it demands of them in order to boost the systems bottom line by 0.0002%. If anything that "very stupid prize" becomes less likely over time as more and more people wake up and do as I do.
>>
>>198660025
NEETS and people in between jobs can get healthcare by reaching out to a private company to get Insurance instead of an employer. If not then they might be fucked lol. Also, paying taxes is gay and cringe so this way is better. Plus that tax system isn’t going to work when boomers are out of the workforce and the population imbalance is in full swing. Though I guess if you were to take anything from this post is that America is a heavily politicized nation at the moment with many dividing lines that completely change the worldviews of brothers and neighbors. Though as an American I would just like to say thank you for being curious and kind enough not to immediately come to the surface level “America bad” crinkle cut opinion like many faggots do. God bless and have a great day!
>>
>>198660091
Enjoy your court ordered garnished wage.
>>
>>198660091
“Let me tell you about YOUR country” he said to his own countryman
>>
>>198660121
Have fun jumping through the legal hoops for years in order to get 80% of the money you paid to buy the debt back over a period of another 10 years.
>>
>>198660136
>>198660121
Sorry I'm now medically disabled, guess I can't pay after all :)
>>
>>198660121
>>198660148
Now kiss :3
>>
>>198659939
You're making a lot of assumptions that were neither in OP's comment nor my comment.
The fact remains that most people will use debt at some point in their life (there is such as thing as "good debt"), and having bad credit means those options will be off of the table.
>>
>>198660195
>The fact remains that most people will use debt at some point in their life
Yeah and if you do rely on debt at any point in your life you probably shouldn't be allowed to vote, which is a good majority of people.
>>
>>198660221
Based
>>
File: 1439341038872.jpg (295 KB, 1181x788)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
I have been dealing with a health issue over the past year and I decided to sign up with a private clinic. It's expensive but I can afford it.

I don't think these places are even legal but the government seems to turn a blind eye to them. Our public health care system has failed and everyone knows it. Dealing with these guys is way different than the public health care system. They treat me like a king, the public system treats me like a number. Long wait times, when you actually get to see a doctor they don't give a shit. It's a fucking joke. The private clinic I go to is worth every dollar I spend.

It is time to abolish our universal public health care system. It was a noble idea, but it failed. I shouldn't have to pay taxes into this broken system while also paying out of pocket for proper private health care.
>>
>>198659397
>they dont give any personal details
Wow, thats genius. The only downside i can think of is if you need at-home medication perscribed to you, it's impossible to get it because of lack of ID.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.