[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (154 KB, 512x488)
154 KB
154 KB PNG
I was watching some YouTube guy and I realized the reason why Americans struggle with non-English Rs (trill or otherwise) is because they fundamentally misunderstand how these R sounds are made.
Americans think that to do an "international R" you just have to do the stupid American English R (RRRUGH), but really really fast. They emphasize their R to the point it turns into an ejective, but they don't realize their R is the exception because it is postalveolar. Almost all other sounds we recognize as 'R' are alveolar.

TRY THIS, AMERICANS:
When you're trying to do a "Japanese R" or "roll your Rs like in Spanish", put the tip of your tongue just behind your top teeth. You need to hit that spot quickly.
If you struggle to find the correct spot, try prolonging your regular American R, and then slowly moving your tongue forward while touching the roof of your mouth.
>>
Shut your bitch ass up.
>>
>>199273987
Try to touch the tip of my penis with your tongue and saying: R con r guitarra, r con r barril, ¡qué rápido ruedan las ruedas del ferrocarril!
>>
File: 1700517143323611.jpg (30 KB, 537x525)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>199273928
>>
I will pronounce 乱 exactly the same as "ranch" and no one is gonna stop me
>>
I'm quadrilingual and not a single language I speak uses that sound. Maybe you guys should have just picked an easier sound to make, eh?
>>
>>199275676
Anglo R sounds like a dog choking with a bone.
Spanish R sound (the rolling) can be sustained for as long as necessary, try that in English.
>>
>>199273928
bring me some weed please
>>
>>199275873
https://voca.ro/18qUQnaHaJkZ
>>
>>199276111
You almost died like 3 times during that audio
>>
>>199276356
If you can roll your tongue for longer than that without almost dying thrice I'll give you there win here bud. Prove your point.
>>
>>199276496
>there
*the
>>
>>199273928
Do you apply the same standard for non-English speakers who have trouble pronouncing the dental fricative?
ESLs have this habit of complaining about EFLs making mistakes when they should be grateful that we're giving any thought for their irrelevant language.
>>
>>199276356
https://voca.ro/1kdt79t83ixP
>>
>>199276516
It took me a minute to learn how to pronounce the dental fricatives
>>
>>199276516
>Do you apply the same standard for non-English speakers who have trouble pronouncing the dental fricative?
Yes because dental fricatives are stupidly easy to learn. There's literally no trick to it. You just stick out your tongue like a retard and push out some air. The down syndrome of phonemes.
>>
its a stupid and useless sound that only children think is impressive to do

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.