[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1711173309911.jpg (83 KB, 653x490)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>dawned on me
Do EFLs really use this in everyday conversation? To me it sounds too poetic and literary
>>
bump
>>
>>199985850
As someone who's spoken to alot of EFLs, they do not. The beauty of the English language is gone.
>>
>uhh i like learnt it or something whatever
>>
I would probably say it to structure an anecdote but i could not find a way to use it in passing conversation
>>
>>199985952
>>199986179
>>199986319
So is it a bit cringe a phrase to use while chatting with friends in the current year?
>>
>>199986395
yes, it's "cringe" sadly
>>
>>199986395
>It dawned on me
>That was brilliant
>That movie was a bit dark
>Dim-witted
>In the twilight of his life
>One hit and it was lights out
No. Why does it sound poetic to you? It's used in casual speech, it's just a phrase. Metaphors are common.
>>
>>199986395
no it's actually not very profound. there are more elaborate expressions which have become forgotton by young people but are still in use by older workmen who tend to have a way with words and expressions and humorous anecdotes or the art of conversation by way of their vocation and they may not be particularly educated
>>
>>199986395
I use it but I also post here so take that as you will
>>
>>199985850
it tends to be used in more professional/classy/polite settings (such as a corporate office or during a nice dinner), but mostly if you're telling a quick story. lower-class people would probably say "i found out" or something like that.
>>
>>199986395
i think it's probably more common to just say "i realized" or something instead but it wouldn't be unusual to say it dawned on me
>>
It really skibidi bing bing wahoo my brain noodles if you know what I am beaming to you famlam.
>>
>>199986702
Maybe I'm autistic, but the imagery it conjures up is somehow mystical to me that I'm a little skeptical that it's a common phrase.
>>
>>199987576
there are definitely times you wouldn't use it, though. i work manual labor and if one of my coworkers said "it dawned on me" i would assume he was a redditor or a faggot or both
>>
>>199985850
I don't think they use it in speech, but maybe when writing an essay or something.
A much more common phrase is "it hit me"
For example
>I was wondering why was the baseball getting bigger, and then it hit me
>>
>>199987792
english does have many phrases like this though.
>we couldn't see the forest for the trees
>he's not the sharpest
>come hell or high water
all of these are common enough that nobody really even notices when they're used.
>>
>muh English
No englise here esse
>>
>>199985952
That's not true, they just tone it down when they speak to ESLs
>>
>>199987860
I see, so you're saying there's a little bit of pedantic nuance to it.
>>
>>199988403
i wouldn't say that, it's just not something you say to lower-class people generally. some of these figurative phrases are best said in one of two ways: either with a little smile to show that you're aware of and amused by your own silliness (this is how classier people act), or by trying to sound low-class. for example
>he ain't the sharpest
this is because the EFL working class tends to be anti-intellectual and they will assume things about you if you come across as classy or sometimes even just polite.
>>
>>199988605
I think I know what you mean, thanks for the answer.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.