[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: english shit.jpg (88 KB, 1024x852)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
I got thinking today about how describing things in English is often like speaking with a handicap. For example:

Say you walk into a bakery and there is a pleasant scent in the air, in English you say, "It smells good" (Neanderthal tier).
And that's your one and only choice you have to describe it with. If the scent is bad, you can either say "it smells bad" or "it stinks".
Meanwhile in Danish (only used as an example because it's what I speak) there are three words to choose from. "Lugt/Lugter", the equivalent of smell/smells, "Stank/Stinker", almost the same as English, and then "Duft/Dufter". The word "duft" has an entirely positive connotation, so you can say, "Det dufter godt". Which translated to English would become "It scents good", which is of course nonsense as the language isn't flexible enough to inflect the word "scent" that way.

English is truly a barbaric language, but it wouldn't be so piss-easy for everyone (except the Japanese) if it was complex, I suppose.
>>
That smells fucking good
>>
>>200157301
I'm coming to Aarhus next month to fuck one of your Danish women.
I'll tell her she scents.
>>
We intentionally dumb down our speech in English thoughever
>>
>>200157475
Because it's impossible for you and your cousins to speak it properly, Gonzalez.
>>
>>200157451
Okay Ed Sheeran.
>>
>Sir, your premises emit a very plesant odour. I was drawn by it and I am come to procure a loaf of bread
>>
>>200157301
We have a far larger vocabulary than other euro languages you're just a dumb stupid retarded spasticated ignorant small minded uneducated moronic slow notwitted unintelligent brainless fuckwitted simple empty dunce foolish dull vapid doltish dim dopey dozy daft dunderheaded inept nitty loony gormless silly barmy cretinous little ESL
>>
Ahahahahah the DANE is speaking about BSRBARISM??! I've seen Vinland saga . I know what you are you lugt viking subhuman
>>
>>200157569
If only your vocabulary wasn't 97% swear words maybe you could use it for something other than scaring abbos off your porch.
>>
ok
>>
>>200157569
the aussie is right, consider in french we have the word "sentir" which can mean a thousand things, while english has multiple words to express that idea with your different senses. You can smell, sense, feel in english, but you can only "sentir" in French.
Now it depends what you prefer. English is rather descriptive as a language I find. French is more ambiguous with some terms which can make it fun at times, and horrendous sometimes.
>>
>>200157301
Don't sit on your high horse and lecture us on what a sophisticated language is. Both English and Danish are inferior analytic languages.
True linguistic beauty is only found in highly synthetic languages like Finnish.
>>
>>200157301
hang on a sec are you actually seriously implying english doesn't have synonyms for "good"?

you could say
>it's smells nice
>it smells decent
>it smells lovely
>it smells alright
etc, all of these convey subtly different meanings especially if you also factor in tone and stress specific words or syllables

the bottom line is pretty much all languages communicate the same level of information at the same rate
>>
>>200157729
He's saying that there isn't a word for good smell.
You can say "this stinks" but you can't say "this [opposite of stinks]".
>>
>>200157729
he means superlative degrees for smell. fragrance maybe?
>>
File: 20240725_140107.jpg (2.53 MB, 4032x3024)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB JPG
It smells not good
>>
>>200157729
>British reading comprehension
Thank you for proving my point about English, I guess.
>>
>>200157847
oh yeah i see now lol, i'm sleep deprived
guess you're right
>>
>>200157847
You're still stupid because you couldn't websearch the word "fragrance". You can say "this stinks" (bad smell) or "this is fragarent" (good smell).
>>
>>200157838
ugly poop
>>
>i have no respect for this language

literally me

i only like some books in english but its shite for everything else
>>
>>200157897
You have never said "it sure is fragrant in here".
Not once in your entire life.
>>
danish is also a grug langauge with arguably even worse orthography than english, not to mention it sounds absolutely ridiculous
>>
>>200157897
There's no verb that is opposite of stinking.
>>
>>200157940
it sure is faggy in here
>>
>>200158012
nice-smelling
>oh le no i had to add another word
does the job
>>
>>200157975
Better than English and that's all that matters.
You don't even have separate words for a male and a female cousin.

Such a cringe, cringe language.
>>
>>200158077
You're still using "smell" no matter what you do.
>>
>>200158107
*vomit noises* (translation: red berry pudding)

>>200158135
so?
>>
>>200157940
>What a nice fragrance
It's a bit verbose but not unheard of
You could similarly say
>What a nasty odor
You are just a stupid esl
>>
File: 1609578712358.png (95 KB, 1205x345)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
>>200157301
Of course you queers would give this much of shit about how something smells
>>
>>200157301
You just say

"stinks"

Lol wtf man come on

Actual Americans typically use 5 words or less for 90% of our sentences day to day and that's an actual statistics

We'd just say "stinks" as in "it stinks"
American english is just a command code not a language
All parts are modular.

The only hard rules are on definitions and you have to be exact. You can't just say something like neoliberal and misuse it
>>
>>200157524
The aroma of thine fresh loaves doth seduced myneself.
>>
>>200158162
Like I said, you have no nuance. No choices except either sounding like a cave dweller or a cringelord going out of his way to not use the ONE descriptive word you have.
>>
>>200158250
You know English has over 1.5 million words and 350000 are widely spoken right. E

Okay then
>>
>>200158226
Sire, I am quite positively certain I shall enjoy every bit of thy fresh-baked loaves. Let me ruminate on thine crispy crust
>>
Germanic languages are goyslop among languages. And English is the goyslop of goyslops among languages.
>HURR DURR but "to read" conjugates - read, reads, reading - see?
Do you want me to write 400 forms of this verb in Polish or in Japanese?

Literally caveman tier.
>>
>>200157301
German languages shouldn't complain about others being grug languages
>>
>>200158320
this

How to "conjugate "være" in Danish in all grammatical persons and numbers?

1sg: er
2sg: er
3sg: er
1pl: er
2pl: er
3sg: er

WTF is this, king of cavemen speech
>>
>>200158457
It's called efficiency.
Give an example where you need MORE.
>>
>>200157301
Aroma normally conveys positive connotations, to use your example

Continentaloids learn dumbed down American english so I wouldn’t expect you to speak with any nuance.
>>
>>200157301
Danes are all retarded and English is a far superior language. The only problem with English is "scissors" and "pants" because they're plural despite the singular not existing and that makes no sense.
>>
>>200158300
Alas the gods do conspire against us! Dastardly bandits doth snatched mine loaves whilst I was occupied fetching water from mine well. Whisked them away like so many hopes and dreams!
>>
>>200158486
Like I said - caveman tier, non-white language. Non-white people like you can't quickly process sophisticated grammar of white languages.
>>
>>200158617
>calls someone with a good point retarded
>proceeds to admit English is tutorial tier
It's okay, I know Hungarians are just like that.
>>
>>200158656
That danes are retarded is a truism that remains so regardless of your misguided peninsular babbling.
>admit English is tutorial tier
I expressed a single confusion on my own part which a more knowledgeable English speaker may remedy.
>>
>>200158871
>a more knowledgeable English speaker
We only have Americans and British here so don't hold your breath.
PS: You're a fool and your paprika is sub-par.
>>
>>200158650
Do not bewail thy loaves lost, my sweet Mercucio!
Cherish their memory, savour the smell in thine nostrils tho the cause which occassion'd it hath long departed from the scene!
Indeed, methinks we are not so dissimilar from these loaves - thrust upon this wretched plane of misery and sorrow which we call existence to be spirited away by the supreme thief of souls when our time arriveth
>>
File: 1720973501586269.jpg (921 KB, 3000x3000)
921 KB
921 KB JPG
Anyone else care about their use of language? I often try and formulate my speech in a funny/unusual way to mix things up, not to seem smart or anything but because language deserves someone who cares
>>
>>200157301
Fragrance/fragrant, aroma, perfume are words that indicate a good smell.
>>
>>200159175
>it fragrants nice
>it aromas nice
>it perfumes nice
Not really great substitutes for "smell", are they?
>>
>>200157301
Aromatic means a pleasant smell.
>>
>>200159241
You have to say there's a pleasant aroma in here. You can't just replace any word into any sentence like a caveman.
>>
They do like simple words, "good" and "bad" are used a lot, even in contexts that require knowledge of some kind
I think it's (also) a kind of "rugged, salt of the earth" thing
>>
>>200159310
>You can't just replace any word into any sentence
Maybe if English was more nuanced you'd have more descriptive words that doesn't require a total sentence restructuring into something that a native speaker would never say.
>>
>>200158457
I dont want to hear it. Polish translated word for word sounds like caveman speak. Like the way one imitates a caveman is the same way in which poles actually talk.
>>
>>200158457
That’s a good thing
>>
>>200157664
Retard. French is way more nuanced than English, that's why it's used for diplomatic purposes.
>>
>>200159367
English is the most painfully underutilized language in the world, there's boundless nuance that nobody knows how to use because everyone sees it solely as the language of commerce. The speaking ability of our high school graduates is embarrassing, there is so many words they don't know that they would have learned from a proper literature curriculum.
>>
File: IMG_0090.jpg (73 KB, 736x1024)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>200157301
> It smells good" (Neanderthal tier).
No, one simply turns to the Latin register (see what I did there?) in order to express non-troglodyte ideas. ‘A pleasing scent’, for example.

This ability to convey ideas using a human vocabulary is what sets English apart from every other ooga-booga, bix-nood tier Northern European language.
>>
>>200159511
>walk into US (wal-mart) bakery
>"There is a pleasing scent in here!", you proclaim
>they call the cops because you're clearly about to shoot the place up
>>
>>200159458
I don't know why anglophones have such a retarded view of french.
French is not beautiful, nor nuanced. People here speak like fucking apes. Only foreigners have this take about french. It's the biggest lie in the world.
>>
>>200157569
urm based
>>
>>200159458
you will NEVER be french
>>
>>200157940
literally wrong
>>
>>200159637
Is coping a Belgian thing? since you're... not French?
>>
>>200159489
This, the english language is extremely rich.
>>
>>200157301
ENGLISH IS THE BEST LANGUAGE YA GIBBERISH SPOUTAN
>>
>>200159744
Total British death
"A great number of words of French origin have entered the English language, to the extent that many Latin words have come to the English language. Up to 45% of all English words have a French origin. This suggests that 80,000 words should appear in this list."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin
>>
>>200159917
we are blessed
>>
>>200157301
Ah, the age-old lament of linguistic inadequacy, now from our Danish friend who seeks to enlighten us "barbaric" Anglophones. How quaint. Allow me to rectify your narrow understanding of English with some verbosity and wit. You bemoan that in English, we must utter primitive phrases like "it smells good" or "it stinks," as if our vocabulary were limited to Neanderthal grunts. This notion is quite misguided. The English lexicon includes terms such as "fragrant," "aromatic," "redolent," "pungent," and "odorous." We can say the bakery's air is "imbued with a delightful fragrance" or "permeated by a sweet aroma."

Your derision of English’s supposed lack of inflectional flexibility is, frankly, amusing. English's unparalleled adaptability has incorporated elements from myriad languages, making it the global lingua franca. This adaptability enables it to transcend cultural and geographical boundaries, facilitating international dialogue. The perceived simplicity of English, which you dismiss as "piss-easy," is actually its greatest strength. It fosters effective communication across diverse populations, unlike your cherished Danish, with its intricate inflections and regional specificity. Simplicity does not equate to inferiority; it signifies broad and effective communication.

Thus, while I appreciate your quaint perspective on linguistic hierarchy, I must remind you that a language's worth cannot be judged solely on its capacity to describe the scent of a bakery. English, with its profound and multifaceted nature, remains a potent and versatile means of expression, far surpassing the "Neanderthal tier" you so charmingly suggest. In conclusion, I bid you a pleasant day and hope your future olfactory experiences may be described with precision and eloquence in your chosen tongue.

t. chatgpt
>>
>>200157664
Thank you belgium bro!
>>
>english doesn't have a word for "bajsnödig" (needing to poop, lit. "Poop needy")
How did you even survive the blitz?
>>
>>200159458
It was used for that because France had the biggest dick in town during that period
>>
>>200160200
>Poop needy
>>
File: 1664299905542232.jpg (113 KB, 975x850)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>200159996
>"fragrant," "aromatic," "redolent," "pungent," and "odorous."
I've never heard an Anglo use any of these words though.
>>
File: English vocab.png (71 KB, 394x885)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
>>200159917
>>200159963
>fought wars with the French for hundreds of years for nothing
FRENCH CULTURAL VICTORY
>>
>>200157301
English is one of the most complex languages in the world for vocabulary and synonyms, its the users that dumb it down.
I was laughed at in a work meeting for using the words "disparaged" and "nuanced " though I think it was a poor attempt to belittle me
>>
>>200160322
they're fairly common words apart from
>redolent
>>
>>200160200
Even we have "Skidetrængt" for that.
>>
>>200157301
>It stinks good in here
>>
File: 1639259714795.png (203 KB, 671x925)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>200160277
We also have pee needy
>>
>>200160492
This
>>
>>200160492
>DAYUM GIRL IT STINKS GOOD IN HERE, DIDYA SHIT?
>>
>>200159816
Nobody here wants to be French. Not a single soul.
If you want money you have Luxembourg which pays much better.
>>
>>200157664
>smell
Sentir

>sense
Percevoir

>Feel
Ressentir

Depends on the contexts but no, "sentir" isn't your only option
>>
>dane making fun of english
Your language is inferior to fucking dutch lmfaoo
>>
>>200161011
Sure.
Maybe I feel though that we're losing capable people of pinpointing the exact nuance they want to use. Again the quality of french is utter shit all around. Dunno how you guys have it, but here it's just bad.
>>
>>200159637
>I don't know why anglophones have such a retarded view of french.
French is traditionally the prestige language for Englishspeakers
>>
>>200159458
1) french hasn't been used for diplomacy in 80 years
2) french was used as such because france was culturally and militarily powerful and had a large population, not because of the language's nuances
3) french isn't more nuanced than english
t. actually speaks french
>>
>>200157301
Vikings raped english and their language until they started understanding each other. Don't think it's really that bad, i don't care.
In russian you could say "Здecь вoняeт" "здecь вoнищa" "здecь пoвaнивaeт" "здecь вoнь" "здecь cмepдит"
>>
>>200161203
Yeah I don't disagree with that, but I guess it depends on the people you interact with or are exposed to
Those who can and do use a more complicated speech are generally not those you hear shouting in the streets or shown on TV or doing tiktoks

I'd say there is a decrease but the knowledge is out there for those who want to care
>>
>>200157301
I don't think about you at all
>>
>>200157301
In Polish:
'ma zapach' = has 'lugt'
'pachnie' = 'dufter'
'śmierdzi' = 'stinker'
>>
>>200159637
>People here speak like fucking apes.
The expression "parler comme un Belge" (speaking like a Belgian) is not considered a positive one and might have something to do with that.
>>
>>200157569
>>200157664
mate italian is filled with a million ways to describe one thing, way more than english, it's just that the average englishman has no fucking clue about anything in general
>>
>>200161523
Very good!
>>
File: file.png (444 KB, 1302x754)
444 KB
444 KB PNG
>>200160341
Nationalist fictions. The people fighting also spoke French natively for half of that and non-natively for the other half. And French still remains the prestige language.

See these articles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Norman_language
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_French

Law French is quite interesting
>>
>>200161946
Those who can't speak French are to be considered barbarians.
>>200159637
Jacques Brel is still the best French language singer of all time.
>>
>>200161455
No they didn't. According to themselves, they basically spoke the same language. Notably, they also said Germans, or that area, were incomprehensible.

Old Icelandic is not the same as the Old Norse spoken by settlers/invaders in England. Similarly, literary Late West Saxon is not the same as what Englishmen spoke overall. Modern English doesn't even come from it.

If you're thinking inflections were reduced because of it then you're wrong. The oldest and most conservative examples of Old English clearly have a lot of merged forms.
>>
>>200160277
There’s a disturbing recent development where instead of “kissnödig” (pee needy), some crazy people just say “kissig” (peey) and one time i even heard “bajsig” (poopy) instead of ”bajsnödig” (poop needy)
>>
>>200163361
Öörh jag tyckas BAJSIG I kvell
>>
>>200163635
Snälla reta oss inte
>>
>>200157301
>And that's your one and only choice you have to describe it with.
you literally said "there is a pleasant scent in the air" one sentence ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>200164885
>it aromas pleasantly
Nice verbage dog.
>>
>>200165008
what the fuck is this schizo babble, are you just complaining you can't plug and play any word into any sentence like a retarded baby? there are many ways to say "it smells good" besides saying "it smells good"
>>
>>200157897
>this is fragarent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANyaGc77lQ
>>
>>200157394
>It stinks
>It smells fragrant
>It smells pungent
>It smells delightful
>It smells aromatic
>It smells refreshing
I could go on and on. You're a fucking retard
>>
>>200163635
(Homo erectus tier)
>>
>>200160322
yes because these are all french words, they're more rare
you'd hear "smell" 99% of the time
>>
>>200157301
yes, go ahead, educate these tards about declensions and silent subjects, they sure will be capable of grasping linguistic concepts when they were born into the most dumbed down language on earth right after spanish
>>
>>200165938
Aroma is greek.
Carry on.
>>
>>200168278
>άρωμα
Greek is cool looking.
>>
>>200166973
You know learning a language as a child doesn't make you smart. You're not "better" for learning a harder language as a baby
>>
skill issue
>>
It's not so much the language, it's the cadence of breathing and the sounds produced while using the language.

In french we would say "que ce pain sent bon". The flow of the language lends itself better to sharing emotions.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.