[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: qvbh3slrmswx.png (57 KB, 870x1055)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
Why do we have to speak English why not Latin? Why do we have to speak the language of some irrelevant island.
>>
>>200191699
Like more than half of the UK's vocabulary is latin in origin, and most of that latin is french
You are speaking French RIGHT NOW
>>
>>200191901
>French say English is just a French dialect
>they are the most ESL on /int/
>>
>>200191699
>Ae
>>
>>200191901
>Like more than half of the
>is
>in
>and most of that
>is
>You are speaking
>RIGHT NOW
All English. Cope more Benoit
>>
>>200192615
You're just a Celtic rapebaby.
>>
>>200192615
>Like more than half of the is in and most of that is you are speaking RIGHT NOW
Ah yes, that sentence makes a lot of sense
Admit it, your """language""" has been FRENCHED forever. Just live with it
>>
My primary discontent with the English spellings is the frequent misuses of "y",
(1) which has originally been defined as a vowel found in Greek loanwords in Latin language, but has been used for several representations of sounds inclusive of a consonant in English language,
(2) and often omits the etymological atmosphere of the words.

For those two reasons, I hope some scholars alter the spellings involving "y" broadly in following ways, of course without affecting how they are pronounced.

1. y at Ends of Words

> words of French-Latin origin
> y -> ie

> words of Anglo and other Germanic origin
> y -> ig, (i)j (based on historical transitions)

ex.
discoverie, communitie, crie(cry), deploie
hardlig(hardly), luckig(lucky), flig(fly), saig(say)
bij(by), mij(my), thej(they), spraj(spray)

2. y at Beginnings of Words

> words of Anglo and other Germanic origin
> y -> ge, j (based on historical transitions)

ex.
geard(yard), gesterdaig(yesterday), gellow(yellow)
jouth(youth), jear(year), New Jork(New York)

3. y in Middle of Words

> words of Greek origin
> y -> y (as is, since it's the only case of "y"'s appropriate succession.)

ex. hydrogen, system, psychologie(psychology), analyze

That's the summarie of mij thoughts.
Wishing jou a nice daig!
>>
>>200191699
>the language of some irrelevant island
because they and us managed to mog the rest of the world in the last two centuries.

maybe if you guys tried harder we would all be speaking korean right now.
>>
>>200191699
latin stopped being relevant outside of science and philosophy since the end of the middle ages, from then on it was all french. then french became irrelevant in return as the british empire and usa controlled the world
>>
>>200191901
the average English sentence is generally 10-20% french, not half
>>
>>200191699
>he language of some irrelevant island.
an island that completely dominated the modern era and created the world as we know
England was a big boy starting from the 16th century and would only go up. In the 19th and 20th century it had the largest and most powerful empire on earth. The world was westernized but the west was anglicized first. Britain was not an irrelevant island

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.