[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (581 KB, 500x500)
581 KB
581 KB PNG
A couple of days ago I made a thread asking why some cultures prefer to eat with their hands instead of with a spoon. Ultimately the answer I got was "it's comfy". I ordered some South Indian food today and frankly I have to say it was not comfy and it was harder, as well as messier, to eat than using a spoon. I don't think I will try eating with my hands again
>>
File: restaurant-table.jpg (2.05 MB, 3324x2208)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>200224691
I've noticed a lot of merican restaurants use plastic forks, cardboard containers etc... For me, I like ceramic plates and cutlery feels human.
>>
>>200224691
I once ate a steak with my bare hands, they were full of fat and grease by the end but it was fun pulling the meat with my mouth away from my hands. Felt like a cave man
>>
>>200224691
I tried it and the rice kept going up my nails, also it’s gross to lick your fingers and that’s what you’re essentially doing when you eat Indian food by hand.
>>200224764
Are you confusing that for takeout?
>>
Centuries of development lead to eating utensil and you go back on this
>>
>>200225098
I wanted to see if it really was an enhanced experience like I was being told it was
>>
File: Truth-BBQ-meats.jpg (426 KB, 1070x702)
426 KB
426 KB JPG
>>200225075
Guess, maybe it's just disgusting fast food places.
>>
>>200224691
>I ordered some South Indian food today and frankly I have to say it was not comfy and it was harder, as well as messier, to eat than using a spoon.
I'm white but lived in India for a good few years.

You're making a mess eating with your hands because you don't know how to eat with your hands. I'm not sure how to explain the correct etiquette, because I've been comfortable eating Indian food with my hands for well over a decade. But if you know what you're doing and aren't an absolute pig, you rarely end up with more than rice and grease around your fingertips--and that's if you're mixing a dish into rice, not eating roti or naan or paratha in combination with something else.

I'm not going to pretend that eating with one's hands is "better" than eating with utensils, but neither do I think it's inherently worse. If anything, it makes certain types of dishes easier. But most of my other non-Indian friends also do things like make little burritos using their naan, rice, and entree, so I doubt there's much point in arguing.

>>200225075
>it’s gross to lick your fingers and that’s what you’re essentially doing when you eat Indian food by hand.
If you're stuffing it into your mouth using four or five fingers, then you're eating it wrong.
>>
>>200224691
I don't think it's comfy but the problem is just your western brain that tells your fingers should be clean. I had to eat couple days with my fingers because my ex took all the cutlery and and it didn't feel messy or weird after 3rd time.
>>
>>200225127
You probably already knew what eating with your hands and getting something on them is like: unpleasant. I would guess they're practiced in using the rice and bread to avoid getting stuff on their hands.
>>
What about
>chicken wings or drums slathered in sauce
>messy tacos, burritos, gyros, kebabs, burgers, sandwiches
>loaded fries and variants, mini hash browns, other fried sides, etc.
How do you feel about those?
>>
>>200225763
>>chicken wings or drums slathered in sauce
there are disposable plastic gloves for that (although I've seen those abroad more than here)
>>loaded fries and variants, mini hash browns, other fried sides, etc.
fork
>>messy tacos, burritos, gyros, kebabs, burgers, sandwiches
if it's messy, fork and knife
>>
>>200224771
I eat lamb chops with my hands usually. Charred fatty lamb chops.
>>
>>200224691
I just ordered Indian food a while ago lol, I ate it with a spoon though. I doubt Indians use their hands for biryani.
>>
When I'm alone I eat with my hands because I'm a disgusting pig
>>
>>200225763
>chicken wings or drums slathered in sauce
I use too many napkins and paper towels cleaning my hands after eating these. Because I'm conscious about touching other things and getting them greasy or dirty with food. Yeah I could use one hand for eating and one for touching, but I overuse my dominant hand so I'll likely forget. When I eat with my hands it's usually alone at my house so I can keep going to the sink and washing them.
>there are disposable plastic gloves for that
I've never seen that in my life.
>>
>>200226100
>I use too many napkins and paper towels cleaning my hands after eating these
>When I eat with my hands it's usually alone at my house so I can keep going to the sink and washing them
kek, I thought I was the only one
>>
>>200224691
You're supposed to have a big bowl of rice, then you pour the various slops on it, mash it up with your hands and eat balls of it. It's what I've seen Indians do anyways
>>
File: chickenwinggloves.png (179 KB, 567x316)
179 KB
179 KB PNG
>>200226100
>>
>>200226243
more like you put rice on a plate, use a spoon etc to put the desired quantity of "slop" (just one for each pile of rice) on top of the rice, then yeah you make sort of a ball and eat it. it isnt really much more messy than eating a juicy burger or greasy slice of pizza
>>
>>200225841
That's normal here at least, I was talking about a big, greasy cow steak. Everyone should try it at least once, you feel a part of your brain you didn't even know you had lighting up
>>
>>200224691
All you have to do is use your hands when the food is solid. Use a spoon when the food is liquid and semi-solid. Using a spoon on food that hands can more easily pick up is retarded
>>
>>200226247
yes, plastic gloves exist, nobody uses them for chicken wings
>>
>>200226575
Full meals in most parts of India usually consist of several different items that meant to be combined and eaten in tandem.

So if you have rice, a curry, and some form of dal, you separate your portion of rice and then add the curry and dal to each pile in accordance with your own preference. If you're having something that's typically had with naan or roti, then you tear off pieces of bread and use that as a utensil (which works much, much better than an actual fork or spoon for many items). In either case, using your hands--and using them effectively--can make distributing "flavor" easier.

I used to think eating with my hands was gross, too, but you get used to it. People here are expected to eat all kinds of different things with their hands, including snacks and entrees that are pretty fucking messy. You just think it's disgusting when Indians do it, because they eat food with their hands that doesn't fit into your conceptualization of food items that are acceptable to eat with your hands.
>>
>>200224691
You eat with your hands as well (hot dogs, burger, pizza, chips, tacos, sandwich, etc)
>>
>>200225919
>I doubt Indians use their hands for biryani.
If you're not using your hands for Biryani you're a retard, everything is meant to be grabbed
>>
>>200225075
your hands arent supposed to touch your mouth. theres technique and etiquette to it
what you did was the equivalent of picking up a plate of spaghetti and using a butter knife to shovel it into your maw.
(that said eating curry with your hands is objectively worse than with a spoon or with a flatbread)
>>
>>200227049
the difference is that the food westerners eat with our hands is food that is not covered in sauce and will not leave our hands wet and sticky. we put burger or sandwiches between bread so we can pick it up cleanly. indians literally grab a ball of curry rice with their hands (which they also use to wipe their ass)
>>
>>200224771
Lol I went to Medieval Times a few days ago and they had us eat like half a chicken with our bare hands
Agree, it felt good to leave nothing but a pile of grisly bones but I am pretty sure they just don't want to pay for cutlery lol
>>
I eat food with my hands far more than most Australians
For example if I'm eating chicken with the bone in I'll pick the piece up and eat the meat from the bone
>>200227052
I ate biryani 20 minutes ago and I used a fork for the rice
>>
>>200227342
Chicken wings are wet tho
>>
>>200224691
saaaaar it good saar, the shit on our hand add flavor to the food saaar. it comfy saaar

>>200225232
>lived in India
>for a good few years
Why the hell would you live in that shithole? Are you a homo or a hippie?
>>
>>200227347
>few days ago
Orlando?

I went to Arabian Nights years ago, that one was OK.
>>
>>200224691
It really depends what you're fucking eating
Hamburger, hotdog, pizza, sandwich? All with hands
Now a messy saucy food like curry, if I'm not using utensils I'll use the bread it comes with to scoop food with it
>>
>>200227403
Nah SC
Our wench seemed like a total slut and i greatly wanted to bed her
Also there seemed like a lot of Lore and story to the whole affair that i just didn't get because of their microphones lol
>>
>>200227460
When I went to it, we were seated reasonably far and the microphones were either shitty or weren't working so I had a similar experience.
>>
>>200224691
it's disgusting I went out with indian coworkers for cake and they ate it with their hands, fucking animals
>>
File: 1721930591787612.jpg (31 KB, 640x616)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>200224691
It's unsanitary and I dont want my hands to be burned.
>>
>>200224691
Knives and forks are not useful if you're normal human (=don't eat meat). Spoon and hands is all you need.
>>
>>200227371
>Why the hell would you live in that shithole? Are you a homo or a hippie?
Neither.

>>200225919
>>200227052
>I doubt Indians use their hands for biryani.
French anon is 100% correct: an Indian in India who insists on eating biryani with anything other than their hands will almost always be the odd one out.
>>
>>200227758
humans (pronounced "yoomans") are carnivores
>>
>>200228120
hmmm
>>
>>200224691
I once had an indian tell me that when you eat with your hands you have a "special connection" to the food.
Weirdos the lot of them but I love their food so I'll give them a pass.
>>
>>200227758
Kill your self
>>
U will eat with dem hands and like it
>>
>>200227708
Nigga wash your hands.
Before and after eating
>>
>>200227812
This bitch knows lot about india

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.