[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>>
>go visit basically anyone
>get borderline bullied for not accepting any food
>>
>>200253127
I lost all respect for nordics
>>
Do people serve food because they want to be nice, or because they feel like it would be rude not to serve food?
>>
vgh the freezing nórdico winters
>>
>>200253127
why are germanics so soulless?
>>
>>200255316
>Do people serve food because they want to be nice, or because they feel like it would be rude not to serve food?
Probably the latter, at least in South-Eastern europe. It's apparently considered impolite for guests to eat anything more than a handful of what the host offers to them.
>>
>>200255316
both
>>
>>200255415
our favstian spirit...
>>
>>200253127
how come brown people are so much more friendly than white people?
>>
>>200253127
Source: my ass
>>
>>200255722
trust me bro
>>
>>200255316
food is very unexpensive, why wouldnt you want to share? in fact i enjoy inviting guests to eat

are scandis autistic ?
>>
>>200253127
we usually serve food only to serve vodka later
>>
>>200253127
Light green is the correct option.
>>200254674
>>200255349
>>200255415
>>200255722
In my experience with the previous 500 threads that map was brought up, the main misunderstanding was that meds assumed that "guest" means someone you specifically invite to your home at an appointed time and it is customary to have a meal with them (lunch, tea or dinner). On the other hand, Nords assumed that "guest" means a random acquaintance showing up unannounced at your home just to chat for a bit.
>>
File: 1712641111211134.jpg (66 KB, 715x712)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>200255571
In some places it's customary to leave food on the plate to indicate that you're full, they think you're still hungry if you finish the plate, and they'll feel ashamed
>>
>30% income tax to organize systems meant to eliminate all human suffering
VS
>your mom serving stew and rice to the electrician and you autofellating yourself over it
>>
>>200255827
>food is very unexpensive
lol

>why wouldnt you want to share?
There's no guarantee there's any food just laying around in the first place. If someone's coming over to drink, everyone's eaten already, or on the other hand you might not have not even cooked yet and nobody's gonna start just cooking food when they have guests. I don't know how it goes elsewhere, do people just have warm meals sitting around
>>
File: duk.jpg (77 KB, 999x1024)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>200255854
That's probably it. I don't think it's very common to just invite people over for dinner. If you go to someone's place, it probably involves drinking, not eating
>>
>>200255949
Takes 5 minutes to server and heat up some rice or pasta on the microwave, or to make fried eggs
Of course if someone comes out of the blue its harder but you'd still invite them to whatever is available, thats just common sense
>>
File: Eat_All_The_Eggs.png (19 KB, 1504x846)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>200256080
If someone started making me rice or eggs I'd just be like what the fuck are you doing. People eat when they're hungry, you'll most likely have eaten before you go to someone's place, there's no need to just start giving me eggs so that you don't feel awkward
>>
>>200253127
This is such a retarded thing. There's no source so most likely this is completely made up. Also, the entire setting is completely ambiguous. "Guest" doesn't tell you what kind of guest it is and what the purpose of their visit is, were they invited or not, how long will they stay? "Food" also isn't defined and means different things in different cultures. In Finnish if you ask for food you are asking for a meal. Eating a cookie or a couple of nuts or something does not count as food. Those are snacks.
>>
>>200256172
well then i'd just pull out the Fuet sausage or the jamon serrano and give them something to snack on
>>
>>200255857
it's like that in Korea
>>
>>200255942
A random electrician showing up to do some work and then leave is not a "guest".
>>200256006
>I don't think it's very common to just invite people over for dinner. If you go to someone's place, it probably involves drinking, not eating
Pretty weird. Sharing a meal is usually the excuse to invite someone here. Obviously you do more than just eat and stay after the meal is over. That's where the tradition of inviting guests to eat joins up with the tradition of having coffee after a meal. Your guest arrives, you serve some appetizers and talk, then serve the main meal, then dessert and then ask them if they want coffee.
The guest usually brings some nice wine and/or dessert (ice cream or cake).
I really don't know if this is a unique Argie thing but pairing ice cream with coffee is super common here. And I don't mean coffee flavoured ice cream, but rather eating regular ice cream while drinking hot coffee. Most traditional ice cream parlours serve coffee too.
>>200255949
> I don't know how it goes elsewhere, do people just have warm meals sitting around
It is traditional to get together with family once a week to have lunch and catch up while eating meat (asado) or pasta.
>>
File: 1700357865368525.jpg (161 KB, 800x839)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>>200256372
>be taught to finish your meal
>go to Korea
>finish the meal
>they're like oh man this is shameful
>they bring me more food
>I'm like oh man I don't want to be rude
>I finish it again
>they bring me more food
>I keep eating
>>
File: 1679328961355827.jpg (17 KB, 615x427)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>200256443
Well that's pretty different then
>do you give food to guests when you invite them to eat
>yes
>>
>>200256471
I finally know how the hyperwar started!
>>
>>200256573
The lore...
>>
>>200253127
Anglo-American here. If you don't serve food to guests you're a stingy piece of shit, which isn't surprising considering the map. Though on the other extreme you have countries where they basically force feed you like in most of the Middle East and the Mediterranean. Light green is the most sane place to be.
>>
>>200256673
>If you don't serve food to guests you're a stingy piece of shit
So basically they get served food so that they don't think you're a dick for not giving them free food
>>
>>200256443
>Sharing a meal is usually the excuse to invite someone here
This is the thing I don't understand about you people. Why do you need an excuse to invite someone over? Why do you need to beat around the bush? Isn't the whole point that you want to spend time with the person? If you do, then you can just invite them to spend time with you. You don't need any excuses.
>>
>>200256673
>>200256732
Actually that sounds a lot like that mandatory tipping thing. First a tip was like
>I'm really happy with the service, I'll leave them something extra
And now it's
>hey dickhead give me free stuff or I'll spit in your food
It's when something goes from a gesture of hospitality to something that's basically mandatory that the whole thing becomes kinda pointless
>>
>>200255854
>>200253127
Here I think it's not so common actually. In my generation you just go to someone for chit-chat a bit or something we mostly don't do that. But with older people if you come even unexpectedly and for short time and when it is someone close friend/relative, then they will offer you something. Like chocolate, candies, fruits, to drink a tea, something simple and fast mostly, like a snack.
>>
>>200256471
sounds like a Spongebob episode
>>
>>200253522
You need to eat otherwise you're saying that you're a potential murderer
>>
>>200253127
I notice the orange/red countries seem to make terrible friends. No loyalty, will never do you a favor, etc.
>>
>>200253127
people in northern france are the opposite of this soulless the map is wrong
>>
>>200256732
>>200257050
You Nordics are just like the Ukrainians/Russians who come here and never say please or thank you because HURR YOU DONT REALLY MEAN IT OBVIOUSLY EVERYONE IS AS MISERABLE AND RUDE AS US ON THE INSIDE, WE ARE JUST MORE HONEST
>>
>>200256673
Do people just bring out a random lasagna or whatever every time you have a guest over? Is it rude to decline? I mean most of the time I just want to play a few rounds of Tekken and drink some beer or whatever, not eat your microwaved lasagna.
>>
>>200258334
nah the word "please" thrown casually in the sentence just doesnt come out in our language and that affects our thinking. We do say thank you but not in every single sentence.
say I go to a kebab place. I will say thank you when the food comes, I will say thank you when I leave. I dont say "please" when I order
>>
its simple process
if there is actually a dinner agreed upon, then there will be food
if there is not and its just some random visit or something small then it might as well be coffee
when you are a kid the parents always feed their kids unless they are staying over

this is how it works here. Its just different rules and doing the opposite isnt more "polite" but breaking the agreed upon rules here.
>>
>>200254674
you will not touch our food you fat fuck
>>
>>200258663
You definitely believe in the whole "oh Americans smile all the time so it must mean they are fake because in northern europe we dont do that" while ignoring that Latinos/Caribbeans are the same as Americans in this regard
>>
>>200258761
I think it's close to this here.
But it doesn't work with grandma. If you told her you will pay a visit, she will definitely cook something for you. But if you don't want to eat she'll just pack the meal so you could take it with you back home.
>>
Kek, this map is just
>hmm I think these parts of Spain and Italy have been preserved from Mahometan blood
>hmm I think these parts of France and Germany have much more Germanic blood
>>
>>200253127
You serve food only if you specifically agreed to invite someone over for dinner, otherwise all you're going to get is a glass of water or a beer.
>>
>>200255827
>are scandis autistic ?
yes
>>
>>200258887
its all the same in less Nordic countries that most emotions are fake and things you say dont actually mean anything. Here its a rough barrier but once you get past that its all real
>>
>>200258901
yes grandma is the one who wont stop giving you food that you dont want. Especially Eastern Finnish grandmas are like this.
>>
>>200259050
Bullshit cope lol, you guys have terrible family structures, and are known to be one of the most lonely and depressed countries despite being rich and homogenous.
>>
>>200258761
Yeah, I wonder if there's just some obvious miscommunication I'm missing. Like if someone pops over for a chat and some coffee, but it's not like you are expected to spend 6 hours slow roasting a brisket in the backyard like you would at a dinner party, and it would be considered kind of strange and rude to unprompted start offloading a bunch of leftovers on them unless you are really close.
>>
>>200255827
>food is very unexpensive
you forget that they literally live in a lifeless wasteland of rock and ice
>>
>>200259258
what do you mean by terrible family structures?
>>
>>200255316
both
>>
>>200259288
Finland has 80% food self-suffiency rate though, is Italy that high? I think Nordics are pretty optiomal places to farm in fact and only getting better. Its not too hot and the fact that there is an actual winter brings you a full reset.

sure tomatoes, rice or the wheat that you make most pastas with doesnt grow here but besides that we arent really missing anything.
>>
>>200253127
No wonder those guys are an heroing by the hundreds.
>>
>>200259260
its just weird default thinking in this case
though we do have a bit of stingy thinking in terms of things. Sharing the bill when feasting is a lot more common here. Netherlands is the most extreme and I've seen foreigners get weirded out with that
>>
>>200259425
our population density is like ten times yours. but no our food self sufficiency is a bit lower
>>
>>200259536
Dutch have the "tikkie" thing. Its kinda like mobilepay or similar used in the Nordics but it seems there is a way to "tik" someone for an amount to remind them to pay up for something
>>
>>200254674
in america you have to tip your friends mum
>>
Here the guest will get food, but will be expected to provide the booze (beer or wine), and the dessert. If the guests is wealthier than the hosts, they will be expected to contribute even more, providing the ingredients for the meal, while the host prepares the food.
>>
This probably applies mostly to kids visiting other families. Like if you were at your friends house at 14:00-15:00 they would obviously tell you to have lunch with them. I remember my mom nagging me whenever I brought a friend over and she didnt have food to offer so she would cook something quick to give us.

As an adult, I dont really expect my friends to cook for me if I show up, but it's not like anyone decides to randomly visit their friend at lunchtime.
>>
>>200258807
Nigga ain’t nobody want any of that nasty ass fermented shark if you offered that shit to me I’d punch you in the goddamn mouth
>>
nordcels aren’t europeans
>>
>>200253127
Northern Europe has a history of food shortages due to climate, so now they're soulless.
>>
>>200260208
you most likely got it right in the first part. People living during winter at their homes, heating it up with food, making food in the same furnance that they themselves farmed and preserved. That kind of set up forms that kind of thinking where breaking a bread inside your home and your home only especially as a kid is something that is seen as necessary thing

but why would this mean this culture is bad? Its just different way of thinking. Its different rules.
>>
>>200256983
Because you can spend more time with that person if you eat at the same place. People don't need to go back to their homes to eat or to eat first and arrive later.
>>200257807
> But with older people if you come even unexpectedly and for short time and when it is someone close friend/relative, then they will offer you something. Like chocolate, candies, fruits, to drink a tea, something simple and fast mostly, like a snack.
Based older folk.
>>200259260
>Like if someone pops over for a chat and some coffee
Don't you have fika? If it is tea time obviously you aren't going to be serving roast meat but some cake or pastries instead?
>Yeah, I wonder if there's just some obvious miscommunication I'm missing
As I stated above I think that Nords just assume that "guest" means any person who enters their home instead of a friend/relative whom you invited to your home.
>>
>>200260208
>>200260315
Food shortages were a thing everywhere.
>>
>>200260915
but you live in places where food just grows while you sleep and hold siesta. And its so much easier to grow seeds in southern regions, you dont need to spend half of your time prepping for winter. The entire country doesnt become a survival land for half of the year
>>
>>200253127
Invited guests will be served food of course. But if it's just little Timmy coming over to play with little Johnny, he won't get dinner as he'll get dinner at home and his mom will be angry if another family interferes with her feeding her own kids.
Plus you don't want to get sued if the kid is allergig to certain foodstuffs or needs medication or something.
>>
>>200260876
>Don't you have fika? If it is tea time obviously you aren't going to be serving roast meat but some cake or pastries instead?
Of course people serve snacks(provided they actually have it or were forewarned), be it for coffee, parties, movie nights, whatever. But does that really count as food in this context?
>I think that Nords just assume that "guest" means any person who enters their home instead of a friend/relative whom you invited to your home.
I suppose, but I mean it's kind of a given that if you invite someone over for dinner or coffee there will be food/snacks. That's kind of the entire point of the invitation.
>>
>>200260915
also did your ancestors eat trees to survive? Mine did and its like not even 100 years ago when it was no longer needed
>>
>>200259591
>>200259536
Bill splitting is pretty common here when it comes to eating out. Everybody pays what they consumed or it is split evenly if it was a large meal and there was shared items like wine.
Splitting the bill when it comes to eating at someone's home is much rarer and definitely seen as stingy. Guests are expected to bring something too but asking for the price and calculating who owes who what amount of money would be considered borderline rude.
>>
>>200261147
I wouldn't got that far, but I remember around dinner time more or less being the curfew for most kids on a school day.
>>
>>200261160
>But does that really count as food in this context?
Anon... people in Med countries don't serve a full 8 course meal to a friend coming over for coffee.
>>200261125
Spain and Argentina have huge arid regions in which food doesn't magically grow everywhere.
>>200261183
Actually, my ancestors where Irish people who came here fleeing the potato blight. They just chose to come to Argentina instead of America due to Catholicism, I imagine.
>>
>>200261410
Oh. Then the map should probably be light green instead of red.
>>
>>200261410
>Spain and Argentina have huge arid regions in which food doesn't magically grow everywhere.
anywhere south of Scania its literal easy mode in terms of farming. Think about it, wheat wasnt even grown here before the recent agricultural revolution!

heck even in the 1950s some people didnt have chimneys! Think about that, living in a cold region without a chimney?! You are warming the house with a fire but all the smoke goes inside.

there was a Greek or Roman guy that visited Finland and described how we were eating roots...
>>
>>200253127
Getting offered a treat/snack yeah.
Lunch too (though in an annoyed manner if you didnt plan it earlier), but who tf randomly visits friends at like 3 in the afternoon?
>>
>>200253127
I served an LDS mission and it's pretty well known that wypipo don't give you anything when you visit their homes.
I once visited a Polynesian home and they offered me a drink and then when I said sure they gave me a whole 12 pack. I once visited a Nigerian chief that had converted and lived in California and ran his chiefdom out of the ghetto like it was the opening scene to Black Panther. He laid out a whole spread of snacks when we showed up. I couldn't tell if it was special treatment or just what they always did. Hospitality is nice.
>>
File: xh0wregaeeka1.jpg (985 KB, 1080x1080)
985 KB
985 KB JPG
>>200253127
>>200260208
Same reason why northern european food is so bland and unappealing. Shitty cold climate means less food and smaller percentage of survival meaning everyone is soulless, won't share with guests, and won't even smile if you greet them walking by.
>>
>>200253127
I always offer something to eat when someone is over.
>>
>>200253127
I barged into my neighbours (who i didn't know) house in the morning when I was drunk and had forgotten my keys inside and they gave me food therefore this map is bullshit.
>>
>>200255316
Well if you read the Icelandic sagas which are Medieval stories set in Medieval Scandinavia and Iceland you will see that people offered food to their guests because it was just how you were supposed to act
They would even serve food for their enemies

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.