[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Loveland_frog.png (272 KB, 640x460)
272 KB
272 KB PNG
ITT: post cryptids/mythical creatures from your country.
This is the Loveland Frog, also known as the frog man, allegedly spotted on a bridge in Ohio in the 20th century.
>>
File: Myakka_ape_photograph.jpg (170 KB, 900x1370)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
This is the skunk ape, Florida's equivalent of sasquatch, which is said to lurk in the everglades and swamps of South Florida.
>>
File: dover_20demon.jpg (316 KB, 1023x575)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
This is the dover demon, a creature supposedly sited in Dover, Massachusetts in 1977.
>>
File: Goat-man28.jpg (28 KB, 450x319)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
This is the Goat Man, a legend in Bowie, Maryland, said to be found near train tracks, where he decapitates dogs.
>>
This is the wendigo, an evil cannibalistic spirit from Algonquin legends
>>
We have plenty of them, and I also have 'Bestiarium Groenlandica' but no copy pasta readily available.

Wish I could participate, here, have a bump
>>
>>201535926
Based Greenland poster!
>>
>>201535578
bump
>>
>>201535926
Here, I screenshoted a website summarizing parts of the book
>>
File: 8812238688290.jpg (31 KB, 800x794)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Each region has their own obscure folklore creatures, but I would say the most well known and recognizable countrywide is the Caipora.

>Caipora (Portuguese pronunciation: [kajˈpɔɾɐ]) is an entity of the Tupi-Guarani mythology in Brazil. The word "Caipora" comes from tupi and means "inhabitant of the forest".
>Caipora is represented as a dark-skinned, small Native American, naked with a very long red mane, smoking a cigar and very mischievous. Sometimes Caipora is depicted as a girl and other times as a boy. The representation of the creature varies among the different regions of Brazil, and is sometimes confused with Curupira, which is another mythological creature who protects the forest. Curupira is often depicted as a boy with red hair, who has his feet turned backwards in order to deceive trackers.
>In some regions, the indigenous tribes believed that the Caipora was afraid of the light. For this reason, they would walk around the forest protecting themselves using firebrands. Some say it rides a great peccary holding a stick. In some other areas of Brazil, the Caipora is considered to be a cannibal and would eat anything, even the smallest insects.
>According to a popular belief, its activity intensifies on those days in which hunting is not supposed to take place, therefore on Fridays, Sundays and the religious days. Religious beliefs prohibited hunting on certain days, but there are claims about ways to trick the protector of the forest. It is known that the Caipora likes smoke, so on Thursday nights, the hunters would leave smoke by the trunk of a tree and say "Toma, Caipora, deixa eu ir embora" (meaning "Here you go, Caipora, let me leave" in Portuguese)[1][2] The good luck of hunters is also due to the propitiatory gifts that were offered to the creature.
>>
File: IMG_2275.jpg (1.27 MB, 4284x4284)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
>>201536365
I have my copy here (picrel).
Wanted to used pics from it, then make accompanying text for a while, kinda regret I didn't do so.

Will later in the evening, just in case I might be needing them in the future again
>>
File: pondering.png (513 KB, 1024x1009)
513 KB
513 KB PNG
>>201536462
In modern guaraní kaipora means "monkey ghost" I am not making a joke
>>
>>201535926
Could you summerize your favorite?
>>
My fave is the Yeti.
>>201536606
Ok now I need a copy.
>>
>>201536669
Tupilak is at the top, that or Pissaap Inua
>>
The gnome is the most famous one from here obviously. Feed him and he'll be a guardian angle on the farmstead. Shun him and he's a sadistic little devil that'll kill all your lifestock and make your dick stop working
>>
>>201536764
This thing? How do you summon it/him?
>>
File: Tupilak_1.jpg (37 KB, 250x603)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>201536904
Forgot pic
>>
>>201535578
Keep him away from the French...
>>
All the wild shit from my people are creepy af and half of them I'm not allowed to share.
>>
>>201537083
Based native Indian
>>
>>201537083
>half of them I'm not allowed to share.
By who?
>>
>>201537271
Featherheads like to LARP as ancient knowledge holders and pretend this stuff is super secret
>>
>>201535639
This one is actually real btw
>>
File: Tupilaat.jpg (2.15 MB, 1969x1591)
2.15 MB
2.15 MB JPG
>>201536904
>>201536945
Yes. Here's from the book:

>A TUPILAK is a creature made from parts of animals and humans, often used for revenge.
>Its appearance and abilities vary, but they all share a terrifying, grotesque nature, often depicted as skinny or skeletal, making the thought of being chased by one almost as frightening as actually encountering one.
>Some TUPILAAT, like UERSAT INUAT, have specific abilities.
>Modern TUPILAAT are known as carved figures found in Kalaallit Nunaat, evolving from the feared original avenging creatures.
>These figures vary greatly, reflecting the diversity of the creatures they represent.

As for your question, it says:
>To create a TUPILAK, different animal and human parts, especially from dead newborns, are gathered.
>These parts are placed by a river, covered with moss, and enchanted with spells.
>As the TUPILAK comes to life, it must suckle its maker's genitals to grow strong and dangerous.
>Once it is big enough, the maker instructs it on whom to seek revenge.
>However, a skilled angakkoq can protect against a TUPILAK, though driving it away or sending it back to its maker is difficult and requires several helper spirits.
>If the TUPILAK is sent back, it will turn on its maker, making revenge a risky endeavor.

Addition information:
>One settlement was troubled by a TUPILAK in the shape of a bear.
>The people called for a skilled angakkoq who, with the help of his spirits, tried to kill the bear but failed.
>A second angakkoq, also a talented drum dancer, was called.
>He danced with his drum and asked his spirit to find a lance.
>The spirit speared the TUPILAK, wounding it.
>The furious TUPILAK tried to catch the spirit but collapsed and died from its injuries.

Again, I will be making these from 'Bestiarium' later on, as there are many and cryptids from our folklore vary
>>
>>201537757
It looks like it could be a boss in Crash Bandicoot.
>>
>>201535578
korrigans
forest spirits from the Celtic part of France
>>
>>201537268
thanks, i am good saar, heya hoya *drum beats*
>>201537371
Depends who's keeping the knowledge. And it's not like any of it is ancient or even interesting for others to know about, it's more just 'not intended for you' I guess. Regardless, people would be livid should stuff be shared without permission.
>>
>>201535578
What's up with unitedstatians and human animal hybrids
>>
>>201535682
Alien
>>
>>201539376
Post it...
>>
Hey guys here's a really good book on cryptids: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HQZPA6ZLURqr9TKyST_MaEXQTni9Nh2y/view?usp=drivesdk
>>
Boomp
>>
File: redemoinho.jpg (42 KB, 500x500)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
This is Saci, but now we're forbidden to talk about him for obvious reasons.
>>
I would like to contriboot to this thread but every time I do I get banned
>>
>>201535779
I’m always amazed by the spooky monsters the injuns believed in, Hollywood ought to put them more in movies.
>>
>>201542551
Fallout 76 is full of cryptids from western virginia and nearby regions: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Cryptids
The game itself is still kinda shit though.
>>
>>201542416
why do you get banned?
>>
>>201542771
NSFW posting in a SFW board
>>
We have lots of them, I am familiar with the Munaciello (little monk), a weird little manlet creature from Naples. Depending on his mood he either pranks you, brings you some money, or touches girls' butts
>>
File: 28620.png (128 KB, 2097x1244)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>201542840
Jannies hate fun
>>
>>201542889
>Santa Lucia
We celebrate that. Wtf is she doing on here?
>>
>>201536365
>greenland has pokemon
not fair
>>
>>201542840
Try censoring the nsfw parts
>>
>>201543106
It's almost like Edict of Milan ruined global religion
>>
>>201538504
Lil nigga looks like Zemmour
>>
>>201543106
Rough translation from the site I took that pic from
>the "monster" element comes from the fact that, according to the legend, if a child stayed awake during the night of St Lucia, he would risk meeting her in the form of a bride with her eyes removed from her face and put on a platter. The witness would have some dust thrown their eyes and lose their eyesight
>>
File: mula-sem-cabeca.jpg (180 KB, 1280x800)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
>>201535578
As a kid living in the countryside, I was afraid of going out on thursday nights because of "her":

The "Mula sem Cabeça" (Headless Mule) is a mythical creature that is believed to be the cursed spirit of a woman who has committed a grave sin, often said to be an affair with a priest. The curse transforms her into a headless mule that gallops through the countryside, particularly on Thursday nights (or Friday mornings).

Despite being headless, the mule is often described as having flames shooting from its neck where the head should be, and its hooves strike sparks as it runs. The creature is also known to make a terrifying noise as it gallops, sometimes sounding like a mix of a horse's neigh and a human scream.
>>
>>201543441
*thrown at their eyes
>>
>>201540486
neat thanks
>>
>>201543523
You're welcome!
>>
Trolls. They live in the woods and make their home under boulders. Sun turns them to stone and they kidnap children. Some to make into servants and some to eat
>>
>>201543349
This is the Kurupi (amphibianskin) his ***** is really big so he wraps it around his waist so it won't drag on the ground
He likes to **** girls but you can satisfy his urges by giving him dragonflies, which turn to beautiful women when he captures them
>>
>>201543395
No i get that she's from Italy and that the whole celebration is a reappropriated pagan festival but why is she classed as a cryptid? I thought she was a saint
>>
>>201543648
I misunderstood (only realised after I posted)
>>
>>201543441
She wouldn't do that
>>
>>201543580
Jesus Christ.
Did your Kurupi and our Curupira originate from the same tale? Ours is more of a guardian of the forest than a raper kek
>>
>>201543764
It's all good nigga. Do you celebrate Lucia on Greenland?
>>
>>201543771
>>201543771
Saints in Italy do do spooky shit when they aren't giving you numbers for the lottery. Also, here's our Nessie rip-off from the Lake of Garda.
>>
File: 1679186823411.jpg (242 KB, 900x1198)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>201543822
Idk, kurupira here would mean something like "scaleless fish"
Originally the Kurupí was just a fertility deity but it evolved to be a cautionary tale probably with influence of the Spanish and the Christian morality they brought here
>>
File: AAJUMAAQ.jpg (1.66 MB, 1969x1649)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
Testing

AAJUMAAQ – The Sleeved One
Subject Overview:
>AAJUMAAQ is a highly feared entity within Kalaallit tradition, often serving as a helper spirit to distinguished angakkut, such as Naaja, Maratsi, Missuarniannga, and Akko.
>Morphologically, AAJUMAAQ presents a humanoid form with distinct deviations: hyperelongated, slender upper limbs with distal hyperpigmentation from the cubital fossae downward, and tridactyl hands and feet.
>The cranial structure is canid in nature, described as either bald or skeletal, with notable ocular hypertrophy.
Locomotion and Interaction:
>AAJUMAAQ exhibits levitational locomotion, maintaining an elevated position above the ground.
>It demonstrates potent necrotic properties; contact with its phalanges induces rapid necrosis in organic tissues, including the epidermis and deeper dermal layers.
>Auditory emissions range from subtle murmurs to pronounced vocalizations, such as "Attungara Aajumaartoq!" meaning "Anything I touch shall rot!"
Habitat and Functional Role:
>AAJUMAAQ is hypothesized to inhabit subterranean ice cap tunnels when inactive.
>It functions as both a protective spirit and a vengeful agent when commanded by an angakkoq.
>Its role is particularly significant during spiritual odysseys, where it serves as a formidable deterrent against antagonistic entities.
Behavioral Observation: Incident Report
>Missuarniannga, a prominent angakkoq, sought to master AAJUMAAQ despite the risks.
>In a mountainous region, Missuarniannga exhibited acute psychological distress, manifesting as intense fear and idiopathic tremors.
>This was followed by auditory hallucinations of a scream from a ravine, preceding AAJUMAAQ’s manifestation.
>The entity approached with extended upper limbs, inducing a syncopal episode in the subject.
>Through repeated exposure and invoking AAJUMAAQ’s name thrice, Missuarniannga successfully achieved subjugation and integration of AAJUMAAQ as a helper spirit.
>>
>>201543828
We do. I hated it, because I was an extremely shy kid, so being put on the spotlight was extreme sweat inducing. Candles and pressure to not burn your hair did not help at all. And you had to sing, of course, why not.
>>
>>201544317
this one is really spooky
>>
>>201544317
Is an "angakkoq" some sort of shaman? And is that a common theme for most inuit monsters? They're tools used by wizards/shamans?
>>
>>201544002
I guess it makes sense for saints to have that role in Italy. They're very ingrained in your public concioussnes aren't they? I think it comes off as very strange for the rest of us hearing saints carrying the roles that's usually reserved for boogiemen like gremlins or whatever
>>
File: Kurupi.png (157 KB, 284x379)
157 KB
157 KB PNG
>>201543822
The Kuripi the way he described it is also part of our folklore, but because it's a bit more "crude", over time people sweep it under the rug and it's mostly forgotten here in Brazil. We also call it Curipi instead of Kurupi.
Similar thing is happening to Saci >>201542389 now. Sensitive people nowadays consider it racist and wanna erase it from our culture.
>>
>>201544786
Original text wasn't that descriptive, currently testing the way they're presented, to see how they're presented better.

>>201545027
Angakkoq doesn't have a word in western culture, because 'shaman' is something else.
Maybe the closest comparison would be how Odin was known, as someone with access to each world, and had helpers (Huginn and Munnin, amongst others) but angakkoq did not shapeshift.
A lot of folklores revovle around cryptids where angakkoq plays an intergral part. He has access to celestial and aquatic worlds.
Then other cryptids come in the form of tales with morality. Histories you tell children about cryptids at the beach that lure little kids that play by themselves, and such.
Heh... Giggled at the thought of child predators presented as cryptids that lure little kids that play alone lol
>>
>>201545187
Yeah, I feel that in Italy, especially in the South, there is a "church-approved" version of the saints and their miracles, and a more folkloristic and superstitious version of them that people have fun with (for example, people saying they dreamt that the patron saint of their town gave them numbers to win the lottery).
>>
Does India have a poo monster?
>>
>>201546012
they have a poo goddess

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.