[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/int/ - International

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Ewcs00CVgAEaI5z.jpg (339 KB, 2048x2048)
339 KB
339 KB JPG
DJT is a language learning thread for those studying the Japanese language.
Japanese speakers learning English are welcome, too.

Read the guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220326112058/https://itazuraneko.neocities.org/learn/guide.html

Archive of older threads: https://desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily%20Japanese%20Thread/

Translation requests, insults, politics, reddit posts, lust, learning method / eceleb discussions: >>>/jp/djt

Previous Thread: >>202328991
>>
バンプ
>>
>>202361580
I'm learning japanese. It's a cool language.
>>
>>202364084
難しく勉強している、俺は。
>>
File: 한일제국_위치.png (60 KB, 1033x854)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
대한제국 만세
>>
>DeadJT
>>
File: 1719388904725840.png (343 KB, 1553x1110)
343 KB
343 KB PNG
>>
>木が倒れている
Usually would mean "a tree has fallen" as 瞬間動詞 倒れる is used. But is something like
>木々が倒れている
ok as both "trees are falling" and "trees have fallen"? Is any of these interpretations preferred or is it mostly ambiguous as with progressive verbs?
>毎日あいつは同じ場所で倒れている
"That guy falls down at the same spot every day"? or NG?
>>
>>202369093
Those are trees have fallen and that guy is always laying in the same spot every day

Better not to think of a verb like 倒れる or 死ぬ as an action that is instantaneous but instead as a change of state

Changing from up to down
Changing from alive to dead

The change is the action
>>
We do not think of these changes as gradual processes like "gradually leaning over until it is not standing up anymore" or "the life blood slowly draining out of a man's body"

The change itself is instantaneous, the verb describes the instant in which something changes from up to down or alive to dead

It is not an extended state that something can exist in for multiple moments, but a single moment
>>
>>202369093
What's wrong with 倒れた or 倒れていた? I would expect 倒れている to mean that something is currently falling.
>>
倒れる is when you hit the ground
And 死ぬ is when your consciousness no longer functions
>>
>>202369512
You have not grasped japanese tenses at all
お前はもう
死んでいる
>>
>>202369546
漢文学者 is that you?
>>202369596
Do you have any resources that can help me identify the difference between a verb that describes the current state and a verb that describes an action?
>>
english progressive tense has to be expressed in an entirely different way, like 倒れそうだ "seems like it will fall over" 倒れかけている "is about to fall over" 倒れつつある "is in the process of falling over"
>>
Wiktionary classifies 死ぬ as an "instantaneous verb".
>This Japanese verb denotes an instantaneous action. The -te / -de + iru grammatical form is usually described in English as equivalent to the present progressive.
>However, for Japanese instantaneous verbs, this -te / -de + iru grammatical form instead more commonly indicates that the action of the verb has completed, and the result of the verb is the new current state.
Given that our resident 漢文学者 knows so much about Japanese, it would be extremely helpful for him to describe the ways to identify whether the continuous aspect of a verb denotes the change in state or an ongoing action.
>>
>>202369355
I am asking because I was reading http://niwanoda.web.fc2.com/bunpou/24asupekuto.html
>私は毎日学校に行っています。
Has explanation
>初めの例は「習慣」を表します
But I guess it's not that distinct to "he is (gone) at school every day". Even though it's later also explained as
>となると、繰り返しの意味になり、「通っている」ということになります。
There was also
>奥さんは庭で花についた油虫を殺しています。
>野菜を切っている。
Where the example is used to illustrate how 切る・殺す is thought to be instantaneous but the act of applying the change verb to multiple object in itself can have a "progress bar".

Does it simply not apply to certain (intransitive?) verbs the same way?
>>
>>202370157
the category called 瞬間動詞 is apparently something invented by a japanese linguist named 金田一春彦 in 1976 while trying to explain the behaviors of various japanese verbs
he tried to divide all japanese verbs into 継続動詞, which take on a progressive tense in the ~ている form, and 瞬間動詞, which take on a resultative, perfective tense
as well as 状態動詞 that never take the ~ている form, and an otherwise unnamed fourth category that always appears in the ~ている form
however, they are not perfect, mutually exclusive categories, and some verbs share characteristics of both 継続動詞 and 瞬間動詞, and don't fall nicely into either category

https://www.tomojuku.com/blog/verb/
>また、「瞬間動詞」「継続動詞」、両方の資質をもつ動詞もあります。
>(1)今、着物を着ていますが、
>上手に着られないので、手伝ってください。
>(2)あの紬の着物を着ている人は、田中さんです。

https://www.kanjifumi.jp/keyword/syunnkanndousi/
>なお、「着る」「(メガネを)かける」「はく」といった着脱を表す動詞などのように、両方の機能を担う動詞もあります。

this basically means that they aren't "real" categories, but categories of convenience for explanation, in my mind
and so I don't care about them, to the same extent I would care about whether a verb was 一段 or 五段, for instance
I do not know of any J-J dictionaries that list these categories
>>
>>202369997
Given the lack of response to this, I can only assume that "instantaneous verbs" can only be intransitive.
Verbs that are the equivalent of "to be [state]" in English such as 疲れる must be instantaneous and whose -ている form must be describing the current state.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>202370519
Lack of neat classification I have read from 庭三郎, including 着る being a special case, not including it being 金田一春彦's invention. Though not being neatly classified doesn't help me knowing whether
>人が死んでいる
can be interpreted as many people dying, or maybe trying to interpret it too much is a waste anyway. "People have died" and "People are dying" in that case would have similar meaning.

Either way thanks.

Now that I think even with an English sentence like "I am cutting off his hand" it's probably easier to imagine someone preparing the cut (expressing the future when it comes to the cut itself) than someone yelling it as the knife progressively cuts through the meat and bone. Are people sawing sawing off a branch and yelling "We're cutting it off, back off" talking about what they are doing or what's about to happen in a moment when the last motion is made and the branch is separated?
>>202370956
>瞬間的な動きを表す動詞は、もちろん使えません。
>×2時間 始まる/死ぬ/着く/割れる/始める/殺す
Usually intransitive verbs are more instantaneous and change oriented, but it's not a hard rule.
>>
>>202370956
I've tried to think about it, and it's hard to think of a verb like that that's transitive, so you're right
I don't like trying to answer questions of that nature because they require native speaker knowledge, so I just don't, usually. I'm sorry
The closest thing I could come up with that sounds kind of instantaneous to me is 断つ as in 命を断つ
but I could still be wrong because I'm not a native speaker

>>202371592
I'm also pretty sure plurality isn't a factor and that it would always be "people are dead" but I can't confidently answer that either, I just stay quiet when I'm not confident
>>
>>202371592
>Now that I think even with an English sentence like "I am cutting off his hand"
To me this implies that he is currently doing the action, it's just that your first scenario (preparing the cut) is more realistic than your second scenario (yelling while cutting).
>>
>>202370157
I think I simply disagree with the idea that 切る or 殺す are instantaneous in this post, 人を殺してる could easily mean he is killing someone in front of me right now, in my mind
same with 切る

verbs that non-instantaneous can also have the perfective meaning in the ~ている form though, so that 人をよく殺してる could mean I kill people all the time (but I'm not murdering right now)
so that the categories aren't really exclusive
>>
>>202372323
>I think I simply disagree with the idea that 切る or 殺す are instantaneous in this post
So they seem to be implied by 庭三郎 ("殺している
瞬間」というのは考えられません。"), hence was my whole question about verbs commonly thought not to be able to describe a progressive state, gaining the progressive state if the semantics describe them being repeatedly applied to many objects, or the same object at different times.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwmSLUdQ0SQ
In this song, what is the purpose of とする in the following line?
>たったひとつ確かなことがあるとするのならば
>>
to me it seems a rare gem of grammar that's been found, that these transitive verbs like 殺す where a thing is changed cannot be progressively done to only one thing, but only multiple things
but it also seems like an obscure, ignored gem that even natives might sometimes break, as I can find apparent exceptions on the internet, like
>その人が、まさに今、人を殺してる瞬間の演技
>通路を進んでいるとある男が韓国人を殺してる瞬間を目撃する

>こいつらが俺を殺してる間に…

and they don't strike me as particularly unnatural

but I also understand why normally you would say things like 殺す瞬間 and not 殺してる瞬間
or 人を殺そうとしてる he's trying to/about to kill someone rather than 人を殺してる he has killed someone, even if they're struggling over a knife

I can't think of any reason that it would go the other way, though

I apologize for my arrogance
I always should have waited for a native speaker, they will come
>>
You could say something like ケーキを切ってる or 髪の毛を切ってる to mean "is cutting right now" because it requires multiple cuts, which means continuous action and changing

but you could not say something like リボンを切ってる or 縄を切ってる to mean "sawing through it right now" because it's a single object that you're only cutting through once

I think that's a very deep understanding of the tenses and I just didn't understand what you were trying to ask
>>
>>202374627
Would 木を切ってる work? A big tree will require multiple cuts, but a small tree might require just one.
If what you're saying is correct then this seems like a really specific distinction that can cause a lot of confusion.

Also (You)s are important for highlighting that a post is made specifically in reply to you, so reply the person to whom you're addressing. I'm assuming it's the Polish anon.
>>
>>202374368
>>202374627
That cleans up a lot, thanks.
>I apologize for my arrogance
I don't think it's arrogant. Especially since I asked the question at a time when all the natives are likely sleeping or busy with other things.
>>
>>202374832
that's why it's not really a distinction, and something that even natives will probably break and not really think about
I feel like 木を切ってる could be one tree or multiple trees, theoretically
and at first I had the gut feeling that 人を殺してる could be one person or going around killing everyone indiscriminately

even if you were slowly making only one slice through a cake, with no intent to cut more, I still feel like you would say 切ってる

but I never should have said anything in the first place
>>
私は常に
人を殺して
居る
>>
>>202374071
Assume as in "if you assume there is just one thing that is certain", or something I think.
http://guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/reasoning#Making_hypotheses_with
>>
>>202375225
Thanks
>>
>>202375160
殺人いいね
>>
Do not forget your love /Minna to isshou ni iku
>>
>>202376322
眠れ、殺人者。
>>
I begun quite recently (about 2 weeks ago) and am just doing anki, going through tae kim and reading tadoku books and tweets. Is there anything more I can do at this stage?
>>
>>202376527
I began a couple years ago, but it's been pretty off and on. I learnt to count put together a some basic sentences hiragana/katakana and a couple of kanji. I still gotta learn Kanji, advanced grammar and some more vocabulary but desu I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel
>>
>>202376352
断る
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKMPqAdqlL8
>>
File: xinia_0007.jpg (98 KB, 773x1080)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
I'm learning japanese quite nicely by reading manga, good quality, but short studies everyday. My vocabulary only grows and I didnt even need to lurk this useless dekinai faggot thread that serves no purpose LMAO
FUCK DJT
>>
>>202376527
tae kim
kanji tomo and yotsuba to is all you need to get started
>>
>>202376834
but anon, you're using one right now
>>
>>202376860
FUCK DJT
>>
>>202376855
What are you're thoughts on japanese from zero
>>
>>202376879
>japanese from zero
I only ever read tae kim's guide and read easy stuff to learn the basics and then I just read manga with kanjitomo's help
>>
>>202376923
They're probably similar, since that's a similar path I took but I might take a look at tae kim's guide
>>
>>202376970
as long as you dont start reading 20 different cope books anything is fine
>>
>>202376777
リリカルとカレフキルゼムオール!!!
>>
>>202376834
えっっろ
>>
File: 1596280518733.png (1.08 MB, 1280x2378)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>202361580
Updated AJT Flexible Grading

- Added an option to hide remaining card count (AJT > Flexible Grading Options > Show remaining count). Thanks to keke1137!
- Added an option to show the number of reps done today on the bottom bar (AJT > Flexible Grading Options > Show reps done today).

download: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1715096333

daily reminder to read the official DJT guide
DJT guide v3.0, written from scratch by 出来るやつs: https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/
new - rikaitan site: https://rikaitan.github.io/
>>
>>202376527
I started studying again in April after a ten year break. during those ten years i only watched anime without subs and chatted with randos on tinder. here is how i got back into studying:
1. download Ankidrone Foundation and do 10 to 30 new cards per day to jog your memory on the basics. set it so new cards appear after reviews as you have to remember what you've learned. let the audio for the example sentences play. Delete the cards you already understand.
2. get a mining setup going with tatsumoto.neocities.org
3. pick one ln, one manga, and long anime you want to actively mine. work on all four of these together and decide which you want to tackle on any particular day purely based on your mood.
4. start making writings TSCs to learn to write. set number of daily new cards to whatever lets you finish in one year.
5. download condenser (impd — see tatsumoto's article about passive listening) and condense the audio of ALL of your favorite anime. listen to a different series each day as background noise.
6. at some point early on, read All About Particles for grammar refresher (the ebook is linked on the tatsumoto website).
7. start a common name deck. set new card limit to whatever lets you finish in a year.
>>
>>202378081
>official djt guide ev&oe nothing official about it
>>
>>202376879
read this https://tatsumoto.neocities.org/blog/are-textbooks-bad
>>
File: akAE6Lc1.jpg (61 KB, 960x1280)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>
File: tokarev.jpg (95 KB, 500x501)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>202377046
kill them all lyrically in 9 shots (ㆁωㆁ*)
>>
>>202361580

∠( ゚д゚)/
>>
File: Xos1xvPM.jpg (63 KB, 680x454)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>
>>202377232
that's right
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.jpg (78 KB, 600x450)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>岁
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb4udD7HoZE
>>
>>202376834
How are your listening and speaking skills?
>>
How does one go about moving to Japan? I want to make it my long term pipe dream goal. Ideally I would live outside the main cities and live a Hikikomori lifestyle dedicating the rest of my life to prayer and gardening.
My parents would be prepared to gift me up to 1 million USD upfront to purchase a home, I would inherit about another 2 million from them when they die. I also have about 200k in savings. Would it be feasible to live on this for the rest of my life? I plan to live very simply and buy only needs and very few wants.
>>
File: GECiC1-Z_400x400.jpg (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>202369512
I've just visited this thread but I should have come earlier. I want to join that discussion on v-ている.
>>
>>202385926
What are your thoughts on these posts >>202370956 >>202374627 >>202374832?
>>
How do I learn japanese? There are too many grifters like Matt and Tatsumoto so it's hard to find good resources.
>>
>>202386457
>https://djtguide.neocities.org/
>>
File: YHlyId5L_400x400.jpg (31 KB, 387x387)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>202385601
https://www.town.niseko.lg.jp/iju/role_model/case1/
This URL links to a page of an interview with a man who was originally a newspaper's chief editor in Australia and later moved with his family to Niseko Town, Hokkaido, where he now publishes tourism magazines. It is all written in Japanese, but I found it interesting and informative.

https://www.hiecc.or.jp/soudan/en/
This URL links to a page of an association for foreigners who are considering moving to Hokkaido (Hokkaido Foreign Resident Support Center). It seems that it holds counseling meeting on immigration on a regular basis and offers other related services and information.

It is obvious but you should gather as much information as you can, since this would be the most serious decision you make in your life. To contact with English speakers having already lived in Hokkaido like the man I mentioned above would be especially beneficial.
>>
>>202385998
Sorry for making you wait.
It's so complicated and I feel like my lack of the proper understanding of English tense is likely to bring about unnecessary misleading and make the topic even unclear, so I'd like (or I need) to use Japanese in replies if you don't mind. And please give me additional time to ponder on those posts.
>>
>>202386845
Thanks! Last time I tried to learn japanese I got burned down by Core6k so this time I'll do Core2k and focus on getting into immersion as quckily as possible
>>
>>202387369
今ジムから帰ったから気にするな。
>>
>>202388859
学生さんですか?
>>
>>202389078
NEETだろう
>>
Okay, chat. What the fuck do i even say if a girl calls me kawaii? Like what can i even say back? If she calls me kakkoii i can say she is kawaii back, but if she says i’m kawaii, do i say ”Sakura chan mo kawaii” back for example? Like Japanese people are so blatant with their flirting it’s so autistic
>>
>>202386457
Study alphabet, learn basic grammar, find something fun (i like translating songs from japanese into swedish and vice versa for example) and last but not least, do lots of conversational practice
>>
>>202389294
kakko kawaii ze! >:3
>>
>>202387745
You can do Anki if you are good at staying commited and don’t jump hobby all the time like me, but in my experience, with ADHD it gets hard to keep the habit of doing Anki after a while, and if skip one day you suddenly have a mountain of reviews. Not saying it’s bad, it works for many people here who are way better than me
>>
>>202389381
バルサミコ酢やっぱいらへんで(ヾノ・∀・`)ナイナイ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAwe1QbGJw
>>
>>202389498
カラメルダンセンは、大切スウェーデンの文化ですToT

日本のトリップの時では、カラオケにあった、本当にびっくりした
>>
>>202389711
>カラオケに
みんな空耳バージョンで歌うのかな?(^_^;)
スウェーデン語で歌いきったらkakkoii ne! (*´艸`*)
>>
>>202389778
えとっ、一人で行ったw
知らないだから。
音訳は驚くほどうまくできていたが
>>
>>202389911
一人旅カッコいい! 憧れるわぁ(ㆁωㆁ*)
welcome to Japan~ ;D
>>
I have never spoken even a single human language fluently
>>
>>202390154
ナンパしてるの?>///>この言は日本の女の子のよう
コンプリメントやめて!もう、、
>>
File: 01.Gomasuri.jpg (106 KB, 901x901)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>202390755
ehehe, this is the Japanese Gomasuri, you know? lol
>>
>>202388859
I'm >>202387369. I'll keep typing in English as possible as I can, but please feel free to point out any part of my posts where you can't guess what I'm trying to say.
There are too many topics discussed in your interacting to deal with at once, so I'd consider one by one in the order you lined up in >>202385998.

>>202370956
>I can only assume that "instantaneous verbs" can only be intransitive.
I think whether a verb is instantaneous and whether it is intransitive are just different stories, since I can think of following verbs being instantaneous and transitive at the same time.
>私はろうそくの火を消した。
>I put off the candle.
>私は部屋の電気をつけた。
>I turned on the light in the room.
>私は彼の方を向いた。
>I turned to him.

(to be continued)
>>
>>202385998
>>202388859
(continued from >>202391349)

>>202374627
>You could say something like ケーキを切ってる or 髪の毛を切ってる to mean "is cutting right now" because it requires multiple cuts, which means continuous action and changing
>but you could not say something like リボンを切ってる or 縄を切ってる to mean "sawing through it right now" because it's a single object that you're only cutting through once
I've never thought of this interesting distinction but it's rational and I agree with this. In my wording, a normal ribbon or a rope can be cut usually in a flash, which leaves little time to say "切っている". So with the same logic, you can use "切っている" for an unbelievably wide ribbon or a rope that is like a log.

>>202374627
>Would 木を切ってる work? A big tree will require multiple cuts, but a small tree might require just one.
>If what you're saying is correct then this seems like a really specific distinction that can cause a lot of confusion.
It seems to me that what you said here while doubting are overall correct actually. You can or cannot say 木を切っている depending on the time the action takes to complete, and the same can be said to any other action verbs that doesn't have a fixed time to complete. Probably you said "a really specific distinction that can cause a lot of confusion" because how long it takes an action to be done varies from person to person, but I feel like I can't think of a case where such a disagreement leads to confusion that really matters. If you have something in particular in mind, please let me know.

There seems to remain many unanswered points in question, but I'd suspend telling my opinions for now. I or other native Japanese speakers would reply to other specified questions.
>>
Who here who can speak japanese can tell me what the process of transitioning from listening to speaking is exactly?
I've been learning for 8 months using a listening approach and I want to start speaking to people ASAP. My grasp on grammar and vocab is definitely still lacking but it's all coming together slowly but surely. Will I just be magically able to start speaking within a few months? Are there any things I can do in the meantime? Shadowing?
>>
>>202392407
Hellotalk
>>
>>202391349
It was hard for me at first to realize that 消す and similar verbs are instantaneous, because although I think ロウソクを消してる would normally mean "I have put out the candle (already)," I also had the feeling that you could say a sentence like,
>今ロウソクを消してるところだ
to mean, for example "he is putting out the candles right now (in the other room)."
or,
>今二階の電気を付けているところだ
"right now I am turning on the lights on the second floor"

these sentences might be wrong or unnatural, I'm not sure

But then this grammar website written by a Japanese person that the polish poster linked to had an interested explanation:
http://niwanoda.web.fc2.com/bunpou/24asupekuto.html

>?(今)妻が夫を殺しています。

>という文を考えてみます。妻が夫の不倫に憤って包丁を・・・というようなテレビ
>ドラマ風の文脈はすぐに頭に浮かびますが、「死ぬ」は瞬間的な変化で、そ
>を引き起こす動作が「殺す」ですから、「殺す」は継続動詞ではありえません。
>動作として考えると、「殺す前」か「殺した後」のどちらかで、「殺してい
>瞬間」というのは考えられません。

>同じ「殺す」でも、
>奥さんは庭で花についた油虫を殺しています。

>ということはできます。これは、「油虫」が複数と考えられるからで、一つ
>つの動作「殺す」は瞬間的なものでも、それが繰り返されることを「V-て
>る」の形が表すのです。

so that, for example,
>今、一本のロウソクを消してるところだ
would not make much sense, because the action of 消す here is not something that can be prolonged
and in a certain way, this is related to the amount of times the action is done, or the number of objects

thank you very much for replying
>>
File: AA4B6f.jpg (505 KB, 1170x1557)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
>>
おやすみなさい
>>
>>202393072
Couldn't you just say 消しています to indicate progressive action?
>>
>>202394297
I used ~ところだ to make it a progressive meaning in that case explicitly, in the same way that the grammar author uses it for 切る on his website
>元の「V-ている」が言いにくい動作の話に戻りましょう。
>野菜を切っていて、うっかり手を切ってしまった。
>というような場合、例えばテレビの料理番組を録画して見直しているとしても、

>?今、うっかり手を切っている(ところだ)。

>とは言えません。瞬間的な動作ですから。

The meaning of 消してる、消している、消しています are all the same and not what I'm talking about

一本の蝋燭を消している shouldn't make sense in the same way that he says 今、うっかり手を切っている doesn't

but my opinion is that it's all a prescriptive and not descriptive 話 anyway
>>
File: 1710869354254611.jpg (577 KB, 2160x2832)
577 KB
577 KB JPG
冷泉 麻子
>>
烏羽玉の 夜はふけぬらし 雁音の
きこゆる空に 月かたぶきぬ
>>
File: pantu.jpg (100 KB, 686x386)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>202395470
D:
>>
File: 1712035727916590.jpg (603 KB, 2936x4096)
603 KB
603 KB JPG
>>202395882
>>
>>202393072
In my first reply in that post (>>202391349), I only meant that there does not seem to be a direct connection between instantaneity and transitivity of a verb, and I avoided mentioning whether or not it could be in a progressive tense.
In hindsight, 消す was not a good example since 消す itself has a quite broader range of meanings other than ろうそくの火を消す, which alone was in my mind then for some reason. 家屋火災の火を消す(to extinguish the fire of a burning house) or ホワイトボードの字を消す(to erase writings on a whiteboard) is not obviously instantaneous actions.

Getting back to the main topic,
>I think ロウソクを消してる would normally mean "I have put out the candle (already),"
I'd also interpret this as you said (present perfect).
(It may sound nit-picking, but I feel like in this case ロウソクは消してる is more fitting. Probably with を, ロウソク's role as an object is somehow stressed, which makes the sentence's meaning lean toward other usages of ている(present progressive/continuing status). But it's very minor. Please ignore this if you feel uncomfortable).

>I also had the feeling that you could say a sentence like,
>>今ロウソクを消してるところだ
>to mean, for example "he is putting out the candles right now (in the other room)."
>or,
>>今二階の電気を付けているところだ
>"right now I am turning on the lights on the second floor"
Yes, but only when those actions are done many times in succession or prolonged, and the events from the beginning to the end as a whole can be felt as a single one that lasts for some duration of time. If there is only one candle or only one lighting, I wouldn't read them like that.

>these sentences might be wrong or
>unnatural, I'm not sure
At least I, as a native Japanese speaker, don't feel them wrong nor unnatural as long as the condition I described above is satisfied.
(to be continued)
>>
File: 20060722t.jpg (19 KB, 220x293)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>202393072
(continued from >>202398487)
At around this point during my typing, I realized that the later half of your post and what I wrote above are practically the same, or at least share similar ideas.
So this post has now become an exercise of my poor English writing.

https://www.chara-cake.com/m/cat14/cat16/post-1012/
The picrel is an example described by his mother as "ろうそくを消しているところ", supposedly meaning that for a toddler putting out even two candles took some time.

Lastly, I want to know how other japanons think on these topics. Posters in this thread are gentle and are sure to allow you to post in Japanese if necessary.
>>
>>202398487
It seems to me that whether ~ている means the present perfect or the present progressive is highly context-dependent.
I just wish there were a more intuitive way of distinguishing between the two, especially for cases like 死ぬ and 倒れる where they are considered instantaneous but physically isn't in reality.
>>
File: 1.png (123 KB, 802x547)
123 KB
123 KB PNG
Perhaps there is no one-to-one correspondence between the tenses. They are different languages after all...
おやすみ〜
>>
>>202394570
>but my opinion is that it's all a prescriptive and not descriptive 話 anyway
I'm >>202398487 and >>202398793.
Please be patient for my dumbness, but how does a grammatical rule being prescriptive and not descriptive affect actual usage of it, or something else?
>>
>>202399313
It's not really about the tenses themselves and more about learning how to use that particular verb ending correctly depending on the context.
>>
>>202399468
Prescriptive rules may be broken in reality because they're just rules that academics think [that] you should follow.
Descriptive rules inherently cannot be broken because they merely describe how people use the language.
>>
File: GQGFytwbEAEAYUF.jpg (730 KB, 1378x2039)
730 KB
730 KB JPG
>>202399049
Yes, it can be hard to identify which ている is being used.
This may be of little help, but as a native speaker, with zero consideration, on reading or hearing
>木が倒れている
I'd imagine a lying tree.
On reading or hearing
>人が死んでいる
I'd imagine a dead person.
>>
>>202399960
>it can be hard to identify which ている is being used
終わった / 終わっている
とにかく教えてくれてありがとう。
>>
File: ab219be0.jpg (63 KB, 600x300)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>202399588
Thank you for the explanation. Now I understand what he (>>202394570) means.
And in spite of that, I don't mean to offend him, but I still feel that how ている should work is a "descriptive" rule, as opposed to rules like for 敬語, which is broken every second.
IIRC none of my Japanese teachers taught me how ている works in Japanese classes.
>>
File: 807474.png (40 KB, 400x400)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>202400108
>とにかく教えてくれてありがとう。
いやあ「教えられ」てたかなあ…。(=I doubt I could tell you anything meaningful.)
>>
>>202400593
I am not offended at all, I think I understand what you mean.
It would be prescriptive to say "instantaneous transitive verbs like 消す or 切る cannot be present progressive in the ~ている form with a single object, or done only a single time," and that's what I meant

but the way that you described this was better, and indeed descriptive, when you said
>but only when those actions are done many times in succession or prolonged, and the events from the beginning to the end as a whole can be felt as a single one that lasts for some duration of time
in your post >>202398487
that is a descriptive rule that I think is always true

the focus should not strictly be on the word 複数, as it can also be singular
>>
>>202400878
yes you could, dekiru anon! _(;3」∠)_
>>
>>202401700
his english is fantastic
>>
>>202401754
true true
>>
I will make some minor English corrections to an initial post in order to hopefully help feel like I'm not just pandering to him because he largely agreed with me.

I hope you (Japanese poster) will find these helpful.

>>202398487
>which *alone was in my mind then for some reason.
was the only one in my mind, was the only one that came to mind
>is not obviously instantaneous actions.
are not

>It may sound nit-picking
nit-picky

>many times in succession or prolonged
or in a prolonged way/manner
(i.e. prolengedly (adverb), which isn't really a word)

>If there is only one candle or only one lighting
or only one light (fixture)

>At least I, as a native Japanese speaker, don't feel them wrong nor unnatural
don't feel like they're wrong or unnatural
>>
bump by fudo myouoh >:[
>>
File: 324624612462.jpg (730 KB, 803x931)
730 KB
730 KB JPG
>>202404044
なまー
>>
>>202404127
なまなまー( ˘ω˘)スヤァ
>>
File: Hūṃ.png (24 KB, 512x512)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
purify thread to remove evil presence of my own arrogant and annoying posting fueled by ignorance and pride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5rv6M7cTc

南麼三曼多伐折羅(二合)𧹞(一) 戰拏摩訶𡀔灑儜(上)(二) 薩破(二合)吒也(三) 𤙖怛囉(二合)吒(四) 悍(引)漫(引、當誦三遍)

のうまくざまんだばざらだん せんだんまはろしゃだ そわたや うんたらた かんまん
>>
File: osakinime,asu_sticker.png (22 KB, 259x224)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>202402249
添削ありがとうございます。どれも自分では気づけないような誤りなので(is/areは注意不足が原因ですが)、こういう指摘をしていただけると大変ためになります。
ちょっと別の作業をしていて回答が遅くなりすみませんでした。日本時間ではこれから寝て起きて仕事、の時間なのでしばらくスレッドからは離れますが、また興味深そうな話を見かけたらまた無謀にも首を突っ込むかもしれません。
私はDJTに常駐しているほどではないので数日後になるかもしれませんが。
>>
あーすいませーん
ちょっと聞きたいことがあるんっすけど
「満洲」という当て字はさ、日本人が作った奴なのか?それとも中国人?日本語の辞書にも中国語の辞書にもはっきり書かれてないんすよ
ウィキの言う通りホンタイジというおっさんが女真、靺鞨などの族を「manju(満洲)」と改名したんだけど、その満洲という当て字が日本人が当てたもので19‐20世紀に日本から渡来して中国語にも使われる様になってて、その以前は中国語では満州族は単純に洲なしで満、満族と呼ばれていたのか、それとも17世紀に中国人から満洲と当て字されて、日本に渡来したのかは全く不明
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ホンタイジ#大清皇帝
英語版ウィキも中国語版も覗いたけどこれについて何も書かれていませんね
>>
>>202406639
満州自体は中国から来てると思う
そこから国名とったんじゃないかな
>>
File: 1719110466198238.jpg (465 KB, 2550x2550)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>
File: GW6B9HUa8AEp9Ey.jpg (333 KB, 1696x1133)
333 KB
333 KB JPG
>>202406639
If Wikipedia is not useless about China-related things, their equivalent 百度百科 might be helpful.
I haven't learned Chinese, so I "read" the explanation by intuition supported by DeepL.
According to it,
https://baike.baidu.com/item/%E6%BB%A1%E6%B4%B2?fromModule=lemma_search-box
>满洲
>“满洲”一词,或作为部落名,或作为民族名,俱见乾隆敕撰《满洲源流考》一书。
>(“满洲” is a word of a region or a tribe's name, both usages appears in a book named《满洲源流考》, which is in a selection of Emperor 乾隆)
And about this book,
>满洲源流考
>《满洲源流考》是清阿桂等奉敕纂修民族史地志,也叫《钦定满洲源流考》,一共二十卷。[...]
>作者简介
>阿桂(1717—1797年),字广庭,姓章佳氏。初为满洲正蓝旗人,后改隶正白旗。乾隆三年(1738年)举人。
(In short, the book was about that region and edited by a scholar called 阿桂(1717-1797) et al.)
So at least the region's name "满洲" was already used among Chinese people in the 16th century. Japan borrowed the name later.
>>
>>202408745
>a word referring to* a region or a tribe's name, both usages appear*
>>
>>202408745
>18th* century
Shockingly, I can't count.
>>
>>202408745
>is* useless
>>
>>202408745
そいうえば満洲源流考って本ありましたね・・・
レスする前にその本のウィキページにたどり着いて一見したんだけど書名に満洲って書いてあるのを何故か気づかなかったな・・・
助けてくれてありがとう
>>
File: watermark.jpg (103 KB, 1450x1050)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>202409118
Wikipediaを図らずもdisってしまったけど中文版の"满族"の項にも詳細は載ってますね。
いずれにせよ清朝時代にはすでに定まっていた呼称なのは確かでしょうね。
>>
現在満州に何人の日本人がある?
>>
File: 934831.jpg (9 KB, 250x411)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
おわ
りだ
>>
>>
bump
>>
>>202386457
I'd say out of all japanese learning materials tatsumoto helped me the most.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO_UNZ13_6E
>>
>>202387745
All "Core" Anki decks are based on newspapers from early 90s and sometimes additionally sorted in a way that makes learning harder. The format of the cards also tends to be WCC instead of a more efficient TSC. Ankidrone Essentials is made from a COMPLETELY different corpus ー everyday words used commonly in Japan. You should get Ankidrone Essentials.
>>
File: symbolofhorror.jpg (8 KB, 500x281)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Is there anyway to replace the horrid sound that plays when yomichan fails to find audio?
It genuinely cuts through my ears if my sound is too high.
>>
>>202408511
かわいいよ、でてください—————
>>
Are there any 'reading for Japanese' books?
Basically it's a lightly grammar focused book which presents a point of grammar and then provides 10+ example sentences of how that point of grammar works + progressively builds up your vocabulary
>>
File: awAAGwgf.jpg (698 KB, 1536x2048)
698 KB
698 KB JPG
>>
>>202361580
Cute >.<
>>
>>202418053
D:
>>
ちょっと wanna eat ur penis ですけど
>>
>>202418699
a lil bit.. a lil bit please (*ノェノ)キャー
>>
File: kAAeTxG.jpg (264 KB, 1706x960)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>
File: gAA8mmc.jpg (341 KB, 1536x2048)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>
>>202419810
>にゅうめん
にょうめんってどこで売ってますの?

>>202420250
画面を見るときは部屋を明るくして離れて見てね
>>
File: kAA6Rm_.jpg (381 KB, 1536x2048)
381 KB
381 KB JPG
>>
>>202420422
にゅうめんとは、麺の一種ではなく「そうめん」の食べ方を指します。
冷やして食べるときは「そうめん」と呼ばれ、温かくして食べるときは「にゅうめん(煮麺)」と呼ばれています。
にゅうめんは元々は奈良県発祥の郷土料理であったものの、現在では全国的に食べられ呼び方も定着しました。
>>
https://youtu.be/-4eb7ds9L0I?si=c6qMjbJA8FHWOjjr
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GvRdD_qpE4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOOTNXa1yc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-CIfZgIfpI
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZC7mEzczEI
>>
File: 2024-09-19_11-03.png (212 KB, 611x379)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>大丈夫よこのタイプのテンクタルは相手を絶頂して行動能力を失うのは目的だから、ここは逆手を取って…
is she saying "this thing leads it's partner to orgasm to make them lose bodily control" or is she saying "this tentacle leads them to orgasm and then loses bodily control? (of itself)"

What's the grammar rule to tell here?
>>
>>202422826
not worth reading :(
>>
>>202422853
Please, it's urgent!
>>
>>202422826
>行動能力を失わせるのが目的だから
こう直して翻訳しなおして ;3
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_XQtIn4_dw
>>
最近、うちの周りに白人の住民が増えてきた。どこからかな。アメリカか、ヨーロッパかな。
話しかけてみたいけど、緊張してできん。
>>
>>202422934
Thanks.
>>
>>202423203
なんで話しかけれない?本当に知りたかったら外国人は気にしない。
>>
I have a joke for you /djt/: where can one get ten thousand children?
>>
>>202420817
ふむ、そうですか。丁寧に説明してくれてどうもありがとう!本当のところ今までにゅうめんのこと全然知りませんでした。
>あたしの駄洒落につっこまないのは酷いですよ〜

>>202422826
sauce? :>

>>202423203
じゃ、逆に話しかけさせたら?わざとポケットからパンツとか落としたりして

>>202424022
In German dictionaries ;)
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Manko#German
>>
File: giggle.gif (3 KB, 17x15)
3 KB
3 KB GIF
>一
>にのまえ
>>
>>202424122
お隣さんは闇組織に肉体改造された元正義戦隊メンバーでした3
>>
File: 2024-09-19-12:08:43.png (1.14 MB, 935x1439)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>姉妹
セックスまで行かなくても同じ相手と付き合うだけで姉妹も言えますか?それとも竿姉妹に限りますか

>>202424393
どうも!
>>
>>202424275
>九
いちじく
>>
>>202424275
>十
つなし
>>
>>202424442
そりゃヤることヤッてないと(竿)姉妹にはならんでしょ(*ノェノ)キャー
>>
>>202424275
>八月一日
ほづみ
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtgKRKz4D4
>>
>>202424501
>>202424545
>>202424686
えんがちょ!

>>202424555
でも(義)姉妹にはなれるんでしょ(*ノェノ)キャー
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2p8Vui_B4
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL9kttZyXjA
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaKlAv4DZo
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKOkehKS3U
>>
File: cAAoKBN.jpg (721 KB, 1536x2048)
721 KB
721 KB JPG
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paauQuPhKaA
>>
File: a8AAuYLY.jpg (616 KB, 1536x2048)
616 KB
616 KB JPG
>>
日本のyoutuberおすすめおねがい!!!
今日はなんのyoutuberを見たり?おしえてください
>>
>>202431663
今日私が観たYouTuberの動画

MrFuji from Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyldnuQJ-P0

日本食冒険記Tokyo Food Adventures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKe1TG9E89o

Momoka Japan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnblCQosspU

イチマルク FREE RIDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhjGuwpRb0
>>
外国人は要らね
ゲームが好きならこんな感じの (V じゃない)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBpjLaDgcY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXYwT8inK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwL94XGzocU
>>
Van Morrison - Enlightenment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1OrA-5Z5jQ&list=PLlcE_5wllnMbnYe7Jmx7uxNCWrPD1xLDJ
>>
>>202378400
>Textbooks are bad
Such a stupid take. Textbooks obviously are beneficial if you are a beginner. As long as you don't rely on them and immerse eventually, you will be fine
>>
>>202433518
Just put tatsumoto in the filters. You will save yourself some braincells.
>>
Van Morrison - Hymns to the Silence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg_u6nWVcCg&list=OLAK5uy_mRpbe3sryqmV5dxEQK5t9Xji4v2uQIgnk
>>
The Beautiful South - 0898
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkhvhRBIu_c&list=OLAK5uy_l_4f4CisQ7JfoNTb4r1i2TF7qNvO0Py2o
>>
ぱんころー( ˘ω˘)スヤァ
https://www.nicovideo.jp/user/49977741/mylist/56763778
>>
>>202432739
英語学習らしいね
>>202432923
ありがとう。ゲームを好きでも面白いyoutubersを見つけるのはちょっと難しい。vinesauce joelとは俺のお気に入りの英語話しのyoutuberだ、でも日本のyoutuberはちょっと違うね。ゲームと行動と態度は違う。
>>202434908
いやこのTTSの種類の動画を大嫌いだ。なぜ日本にこの種類は人気なのか?
>>
君の dick を pooping します
>>
いわゆる 出し入れpooping, 終わらぬpooping
>>
永遠にウンチが出せるこの気持ちよさ
>>
>>202420250
ここはどこ?
>>
>>202433518
After learning kana, you dont need anything more than an Anki deck for vocabulary and curedolly videos for grammar as a beginner.
>>
>>202438480
How are your listening and speaking skills?
>>
>>202438721
>listening
Its alright
>speaking
Lacking as i dont get many opportunities to practice.
I was talking about beginners anyway. After learning basics, listening naturally gets better as you consume Japanese media but cant say the same for speaking.
>>
日本人のお兄さん達sにちょっと宜しければ
おチンポ見せてもらいたい
>>
帽子をかぶったままのgay sex
>>
bump
>>
File: 1699958034059387.jpg (621 KB, 2893x4092)
621 KB
621 KB JPG
>>202418053
>>
File: 1711413548365449.jpg (664 KB, 2362x3339)
664 KB
664 KB JPG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.