[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1703876271512720.jpg (82 KB, 800x600)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Hey /jp/, why hasn't anyone ever made audiobook versions of any of the Touhou books? It seems like it'd be a fun idea. A lot of parts of those books really lend themselves to audio versions.
>>
>>47380720
No. I can't jerk off to cunny fairies with just an audiobook.
>>
File: 1673885436158781.png (59 KB, 263x376)
59 KB
59 KB PNG
>>47380720
From ZUN's perspective it's better to see the story yourself and he doesn't want any voice becoming THE voice of that character. He was iffy on the fan anime for this reason. Which is why third party licensing, in english, isn't going to happen.
From a /jp/sie's perspective it's a lot of work. That's about it. There's some other niggling things like not wanting your voice to be heard by other /jp/sies or not wanting to hear Anon's best Yukari impression. Not saying it cant be entertaining, but getting anons like this https://vocaroo.com/1XbIIyWBfk7k (that thread stuck with me) AND having them voice a whole audio book is like getting lightning to strike thrice.
>>
>>47380825
Obviously it'd have to be fanmade, I think we've only had two official English Touhou medias ever and one was mediocre as hell translation wise.

I think it'd be a fun project the see fans make, you'd just need a lot of auditions to pick decent voices because only a handful of /jp/sies could do decent female voices and that would only work for a handful of characters, and obviously a tolerance for English voices. Toss in a good sound guy to add sound effects and make everything sound good and I think it could work.

On the tolerance for English thing, I think I actually could lean towards being fine with it. Partly because like you said, there's no official voices for any Touhou. So it doesn't seem so jarring.
>>
>>47380825
>From ZUN's perspective it's better to see the story yourself and he doesn't want any voice becoming THE voice of that character. He was iffy on the fan anime for this reason

That's also why he forced all g*chas to have at least 3 voice actors per character.
>>
>>47380989
>I think we've only had two official English Touhou medias
I know FS was one. What was the other?
>>
>>47381022
Touhou 17.5 got an English release
>>
File: 1000000066.jpg (133 KB, 800x899)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>47381027
Is that so~?
>>
>>47380989
>only a handful of /jp/sies could do decent female voices and that would only work for a handful of characters
This guy's Ran voice is really fun. Probably not the best for a serious thing but for a comedy this is peak Ran voice. Outside of maybe Microsoft Sam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8IGlgZZ95Q
>>
>>47380720
I remember some dude 4 years ago trying to make an audiobook of SoPM, with different VAs and everything, but I don't know what happened to it. Probably got canned.
>>
>>47381879
SoPM would actually be a great one to do, it lends itself really well to it. I wonder how many voice actors you'd actually need for each book, let's see if we can do a role-count real quick.
>>
>>47381879
Here's what he managed to put together. Never listened to these myself because I don't want to listen to trannies. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEugzmhzDzxfxZup5-wf_iNJMvjU4Xez1&si=LHv7eIafv4yv6hpt
>>
File: 1707866075511606.png (44 KB, 1247x301)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
>>47381879
>>47382353
The voices aren't that bad honestly, but the performances feel like they leave a bit to be desired. Miko for example, her voice is fine but the performance seems way too haughty and stilted. No major red flags aside. Though it seems like it was on the eternal backburner, and the guy wasn't planning on doing the entire book anyways but just the discussion parts.
>>
If I counted correctly, Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red would need 34 roles filled out. It's not an envious undertaking. But could be pretty damn fun if put in the right hands.

For how I imagine it playing out personally, as one example
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Bohemian_Archive_in_Japanese_Red/Marisa
Start with the profile at the bottom narrated by the character in question. Then have Aya narrate the article. At parts where a quotation within the article is made, have it sound like an old recording being played back. At the interview part, start with some recording tape sound effect playing, though there shouldn't be as "old" of a filter over the interview as there are for quotations in the article.

During the main article, have a relaxing version of said character's theme playing. During the interview itself, probably silence.
>>
File: Laughing fairy.png (550 KB, 1200x1091)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>47380825
>That's about it. There's some other niggling things like not wanting your voice to be heard by other /jp/sies or not wanting to hear Anon's best Yukari impression. Not saying it cant be entertaining, but getting anons like this
Fuck it, sounds like a gaggle of laughs and that alone is why we should do it. Who says it needs to be done in a serious tone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrgxHDoe8gA

I wanna do a very bad Hulk Hogan impression while VC'ing Clownpie

>>47380777
>No. I can't jerk off to cunny fairies with just an audiobook.
Understandable
>>
File: 1702072290458330.jpg (44 KB, 299x250)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>47380720
How about a yukkuri audiobook?
>>
>>47386008
What does this even entail? A whole bunch of "TAKE IT EASY"?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.