[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: download.jpg (5 KB, 300x168)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Is it true that cheap Remington and Mossberg models aren't super good quality anymore? I saw posts claiming that
>>
>>61463460
Fuck ya mudda
>>
>>61463460
Fuck ya mudda
--Sneed
>>
>>61463460
Fuck ya mudda
--Chuck
>>
>>61463460
Remington is better than it was, but still a shadow of itself. Cerberus Capital Management fucked them the same as they fucked Mopar.
Mossberg 500 derived shotguns were always a better optimized design for fast machine manufacture (CNC, earlier turret mill work, etc) and have been pretty uniform in functional quality, but the quality of the anodizing of the receiver and the bluing of the steel and the varnish on the wood has been both better and worse occasionally.

I would buy a Mossberg before a Remington, but either before a turkish pump, but the Italian made guns are currently only a little more expensive than the Mossbergs and definitely worth the price difference.
>>
>>61463511
Benelli nova or supernova over the two mentioned already?
>>
>>61463460
the 500s and 590s feel just about precisely balanced between price and quality. they aren't a great deal or perfect, but it's not like they are asking a fortune either. the only thing wrong with my 590a1 was the edges of the shell feed hole were as-machined sharp instead of having their edges broken with a machining pass or some schlub with a stone/file. other than that it's perfectly alright.
>>
>>61463517
The novas were always better built but 100-300 more. You get what you pay for. However the customization/aftermarket options are significantly less.
Those 2 facts made em less desirable.
>>
>>61463597
What aftermarket stuff would you want other than a red dot/reflex and a muzzle break?
>>
>>61463644
Swapping furniture
>>
>>61463590
My 590S has a sharp feed port as well. Fucking thing sliced my thumb the first time I loaded it. Aside from that the gun works perfectly.
Only thing I don't really like is Mossberg started adding a micro red dot cut on some of the 590S's, but doesn't tell you the footprint. I had to find some Shot Show articles where the author asked them wtf they cut it for.
>>
>>61463644
NTA, but depending on what you want to do with your shotgun barrel availability is a big concern. With a strictly military shotgun like a 590 or Benelli M4 you have very few barrel options. That sucks if you want to shoot clays or hunt. Most models like the 870, Mossberg 500, Ithaca 37, Nova, Benelli M2, etc, have both tactical and sporting barrels available, rifled barrels for sabot slugs, etc.
>>
>>61463511
>Cerberus Capital Management fucked them the same as they fucked Mopar
Slight correction: Remington fucked itself with years of mismanagement, combined with the appalling cost of battling the Sandy Vag lawsuit. Cerberus merely picked over the carcass and sold it off piecemeal.
>>
>>61463465
>>61463481
>>61463502
Do you ever get tired of being a mental toddler?
>>
>>61463804
I'm never tired whenever I fuck ya mudda.
>>
>>61463812
Sounds like she cums fast, nice work anon.
>>61463755
This anon knows. Ive also heard bad things about remington finishes. Theyve been memed as rustingtons for a minute but i only own one shotgun and its a mossberg so take that with a grain of salt. On the other hand my mossberg 500 works fine a.d eats everything ive ever fed it. Does feel a bit flimsy though.
>>
>>61463517
Supernova if you want to hunt geese, Nova otherwise. All you really need for a shotgun is a 18 inch defensive barrel, a bird barrel, and a rifled slug barrel, and you can get those for either of them.

A Mossberg 500 combo with the bird and slug barrels, and an 18.5 inch barrel sold seperately will end up costing ~$500 or so in total, and a Remington should be about the same, but a Nova will cost you $8-900 if you get a combo with the bird and slug barrel and then buy a tactical barrel separate.
>>
>>61464814
For $800-$900 why not get a beautiful Browning BPS?
>>
>>61463460
>like the lowest recoil i can get with a decent caliber
>put doo-dads on guns for lower recoil
>still crave a 12g pump action for the visceral feel of using it
I keep putting them on the backburner bros but im not sure i can hold out
>>
>>61465643
just learn how to hold it correctly and recoil wont hurt you
>>
>>61463460
Remington had a shit era but they've improved their quality to the extent of reflecting their price. Mosssberg has flawed designs and pump rattle always. Mossberg's entire company is based off of copying expired Remington patents, but Remington updated the patents for reliability updates. One thing being the shell stop bars extend past the shells and sit in their own shelves, they can't be bent. Mossberg uses an old design where the shell stops stop right at the shell, making them extremely dependent on having the exact bend down to millimeters to function. Handle one too hard or simply put a lot of rounds through it, those bars will bend by a few mm and your shells will either get stuck and not feed, or all shoot out and the mag can't be used because it won't hold anything. I'll post the copypasta showing the issue.
>>
File: 20230718_222620.jpg (777 KB, 1762x2169)
777 KB
777 KB JPG
>>61466041
Pic is what happened when my shell stop bar crossed the pump action bar, I noticed it immediately when my mag stopped working and stopped shooting, but it had already been sheered and needed to be filed back to work, along with a fun few hours of guesswork bending the bars back at the extremely precise angles they need to be at to function, though it's still pretty grindy. The issue:

https://youtu.be/ZaiP3FhVBa8&t=163
Pay attention to the bar holding the shells back here, how it moves when the second bar comes down and moves it back. If you look at these bars, they have to be at an exact curvature degree so that they're not too far or not too close, if they're bent too much (by millimeters off) then the shells won't come out. They'll be stuck in the magazine tube because the lip on the bar doesn't move far enough to let them out. If they're bent away then the magazine won't hold shells at all, the stop won't come close enough to hold them back and the mag spring will just push them out. These bars can get bent off by a few degrees through normal use of the shotgun, again google "mossberg shells stuck" or "mossberg shells won't stay in magazine" and you get hundreds of results of people complaining about it on forums.

Remington fixed this by making the bars extend past the tube and sit in their own grooves. The ends of the bars aren't what stop the shells, but rather a notch on the bar a ways down.

https://youtu.be/21uh28Z77Xg&t=86
Notice the ends don't stop on the shell itself, there's extra length at the ends that act as guide rails sitting in their own divots. These make the bars more sturdy and less likely to be bent off course. Now google "Remington shells not loading" or "shells not staying in magazine." Not an issue with the Remington, thus it has the objectively more reliable design.
>>
>>61463804
Do you ever get tired of asking retarded questions you could have googled in a few seconds?
>>
>>61466276
I'm not OP. I'm tired of this guy spamming his shitty meme every thread
>>
Just got home from the range. Put 300 rounds of bird, buck, slugs, and 30 cut shells I made through my 1991 Mossberg 500A. Took it apart to clean it and side from some essentially irrelevant fouling in the barrel it’s nearly perfectly clean on the inside already, bolt face is SPOTLESS. I have no idea how mossbergs are in general but mine is magical, it’s my most abused and overused gun and it looks and acts like it was made yesterday, I take every excuse I can to use it because it’s never had a single malfunction of any kind. I have dreams that consist of the recoil of a high velo foster shell through this gun and wake up with my undies ruined.
>>
>>61466449
>it’s nearly perfectly clean on the inside already, bolt face is SPOTLESS.
Yeah, that's pretty typical for any manual action gun. It's automatics that get nasty because of the gas operation or the breech opening while there is still some pressure inside. Any levergat, bolt-action, break-action, etc, will have a clean breech because there's no way for crud to get back there unless there was a case head failure.
>>
>>61463460
It's been common knowledge that Remingtons have been poorly made for nearly 20 years now. People occasionally make vague claims about Mossberg's QC being poor, but it's not a clear trend and I've never had a problem with any of mine, even under fairly hard use in training and waterfowl hunting (getting thrown around , dropped in the lake, etc)
>>
>>61467422
Yes. That's what happened when the Cerebus group took over Remington. However, they haven't owned Remington for a couple of years now. The question is what, if anything, has changed, but it may still be too early to tell if the guns being made now have long-term issues.
>>
Pump shotguns just werk.
No need to spend billions on it
>>
>>61467807
Remington has fallen, billions must buy (Italian).
>>
>>61467807
turkshit disagrees
>>
>>61463511
Cerberus owns Mopar?
>>
>>61468866
my roach Winchester SXP works like a charm
>>
>>61463465
>>61463481
>>61463502
I preferred yeah posting tbqhwy
>>
>>61469640
SXPs are in fact the only reliable turkguns (I even wonder if they can compete with US 1200/1300s). Everyone do know it overall, but it's still disgusting to buy something made by street barbers/kebabers.
>>
Man I miss the days of $150 Pardner Pumps from Walmart. Basically Chinese made Rem Police Magnum clones that were better than American made for a while. You could by the hunting one and HD one for $300 and switch barrels.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.