[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: abb640a078d4d3e9.jpg (130 KB, 1200x650)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
Other than cost do that standard SP mortar systems (M106, M1129, Indian CMT) offer any benefits over a integrated turreted system like the Nona?
>>
>>61480482
Direct fire. With 120mm HEAT you can fuck any tank.
>>
>>61480482
Compared to a turreted system the main thing imo is that the open topped systems are vulnerable to airburst weapons and bomblets. A turreted system would still likely get fucked but the crew survivability would be higher just cause it's not wide open. Direct fire too is nice. The American carriers do have fire control systems available. The newer M1287 carrier for sure has a fire control and there's even a variant they're cocking around with that has the NEMO mortar.
>>
>>61480535
Yeah drive your mortar up to the front line where it can be penned by 50bmg I'm sure that'll go well.

Direct fire is a meme
>>
>>61480592
There is fundamentally no survivability difference between an M106 and a Nona. You're hitting side armor if you're close, or coming in through the top with a direct hit, in which case both would be fucked
>>
>>61480603
ok retard
>>
>>61480592
Crew training is probably easier on the open topped types as well, probably very close to infantry mortars.
Can you dismount the mortars from M106 type carriers?
>>
>>61480610
All I said was turreted systems are inherently more survivable for the crew than something that is wide open. I never brought up Nona. I have no idea why you're inventing imaginary arguments
>>
>>61480680
nah, I'm pretty sure the 107mm is almost 700lbs and the 120mm is 300lbs.
>>
Nobody? Really? Alright
Weight and cost effectiveness. A standard mortar carrier is literally just any APC with a hole in the roof and whatever infantry portable mortar system your dudes are currently using bracketed to the floor. Any decent military should have plenty of both laying around, along with people who know how to use both. Put 'em together and you have a useful light artillery system that can move organically with mechanized infantry.

A turreted system is far more integrated and can do a lot more fancy shit (MRSI, direct fire, fire on the move, overall RoF etc) but is obviously going to many you pay $ for that. Depending on the system throwing a turret on there also makes it heavier and higher profile, which may defeat the purpose if whatever platform you're trying to cram a mortar onto is meant to be air transportable.
>>
>>61480482
turret = less tbi
>>
>>61480909
OP specified cost was out of the discussion.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.