[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 43563769525.png (71 KB, 1255x372)
71 KB
71 KB PNG
would an interchangeable chamber be possible for hot ammo?
that way once the chamber is inevitably burnt out, it would be easily changed, instead of completely trashed?
>>
Yeah
>>
>>61481272
sure, like a break top revolver
you could make it single shot
>>
no, lol
>>
It isn't just the chamber that wears. If you tried to replace a chamber you would end up with a ring of uneven surfaces so large you could see it just by looking through the barrel at a light. might as well just scrap the steel and replace the barrel
>>
>>61481406
how come a revolver can have perfectly serviceable precision then?
>>
>>61481272
You'd need to replace an entire barrel liner a la old school battleship gun and it just don't make sense
>>
>>61481272
The throat and rifling would wear out loooooooooooooong before the chamber. It seems like you don't know enough to even begin asking questions yet.
>>
>>61481519
If you look at his drawing, though, he's drawn the chamber insert as extending well past the throat, so he's actually got it right. (If only by accident.)
>>
>>61481519
>>61481525
i wanted it to be just around the throat & into the rifling, that way if you'd replace everything thats starting to pit
honestly, i don't know what i'm talking about, this is just something i though about in the shower (a literal shower thought)
>>
>>61481502
Revolvers are adequately precise for their role, in fact a lot of modern handguns might even be needlessly precise. The OP is an AR-15 barrel so I assumed we were talking about assault rifles. If you're building a select fire weapon that can fire from a closed bolt it's reasonable to assume precision is high on the list of demands. Maybe there's a case for an LMG since they see some insane abuse but idk just seems finicky.
>>
>>61481554
i could imagine a rifle with a very long barrel, like 27" or whatever, that way whatever the cartridge eats is taken up by the length
seems alright to me i guess?
>>
>>61481564
Yeah, build it and post updates
>>
>>61481594
i don't have a machine shop, but one day i'll commission it i guess, many years from now, so sorry about that
it'll happen though, unless someone else does it for me
>>
File: m2 stellite.png (289 KB, 1200x348)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
>>61481272
You've got it backwards. A liner made out of something extremely durable like Stellite goes in that area. Sometimes they were even recovered from trashed barrels and reused.
>>
>>61481749
why didn't they keep using it?
>>
>>61481272
yes, completely doable. probably not cost effective though. the area which receives the most wear is just before the chamber, including the first bit of rifling. you'd have to line up the riifing perfectly, which is a significant quality challenge and drives up costs. easier/cheaper to just make a better barrel. most barrels don't even use the best steel because of costs.
>>
>>61481272
I was thinking of a barrel that comes apart in the middle so it can be 10" or 20"
>>
>>61481272
this would only work very, very high pressure cartridges since chamber deformation happens before the bullet travels down the barrel and is more severe if you have a high and early peak pressure
but you'd be looking at 800 round count chambers with 1600-2400 round count barrels
and this kind of hypothetical cartridge doesn't exist although you could get pretty close with a high quality steel case .338 Lapua using a reduced internal dimension
t. knower
>>
File: RevolverBlast.jpg (1.82 MB, 4368x2892)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>61481502
Because not being gas operated means bleeding burning powder through the cylinder gap is a non issue
>>
brother, if you've worn out the chamber on an ar15 the rest of the rifle is a write off.
>>
>>61481272
Possible? Yeah. It's technically doable. But the big question is why? It would be a lot more complex, and expensive, to replace an insert. Adding the insert requires a great deal of precision, requires making the gun bigger to accommodate the insert and its method of retention. Changing the insert out would be a giant pain in the ass after it's glued itself in place with 1000's of rounds of heat cycles and fouling.
Replacing the whole barrel would be easier, cheaper, and faster.
>>
File: Revolver gas erosion.jpg (115 KB, 1024x717)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>61481502
You get erosion at the barrel-chamber interface in non-revolvers. With revolvers you can get flame cutting of the top strap and sometimes erosion around the exit of the chamber.
>>
>>61481798
Pretty sure they still do, for .50 and .30 caliber machine guns, where it makes a huge difference.

Installing the liners requires special jigs to align the rifling in the liner to the rifling in the barrel. I know there's been work done scaling that down to .223 for the M249, but IDK how that turned out w/r/t to cost. But it makes less difference the slower your rate of fire, so I doubt it's ever going to make sense for rifles.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.