[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: there goes my baby.webm (1.38 MB, 1280x720)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB WEBM
>extremely rare WW2 vintage DC-4 crashed in Alaska
>"""coincidentally""" captured on camera despite being in bum fuck Alaska

is it just me or does it look like a missile hit the engine?
>>
>>61484018
Being in bum fuck nowhere means you're more likely to want security cameras than not, since not only do you need to worry about drunk heya hoyas trying to steal your shit to sell for booze but polar bears exist and you want some early warning if one is poking around your property.
>>
Clearly we must invade Russia and Iran over this unprecedented act of aggression
>>
>>61484048
>capture some retards breaking into your cabin and slinking off into the woods

how the FUCK does that video help you at all? you ain't going to track em down
>>
>>61484018
doesn t look like a missle hit the plane to an untrained eye idk what you talking about , the boom was right were the engine was so most likely the dc died of an engine failure caused by the break of a cholesterol plaque being broken in one of the veins providing fuel to the machine . Dc's are known to be chain smokers so he had it coming .
Also what does the post imply ? The army hired russian grunts for theirair defense in alaska ?
>>
>>61484063
>Be browsing 4chinnel and getting blitzed because what else is there to do in Alaska
>Phone notification, security detects something
>Check phone
>If it's a deer or something whatever
>If it's a bolar bear :DDD get a gun and bear spray ready but otherwise don't worry about it, probably keep an eye on the cameras but you should know better and keep things locked up enough to keep bears out in that area
>If it's some ne'er do wells looking to pilfer your goods get your AR and go ventilate them when they walk out of your garage, if they do go for the house you'll be ready and waiting if you set your cameras up in good spots for an early warning

If you aren't home when it happens the video can at least give the cops an idea of who to look for since most of those retards don't even wear masks.
>>
>>61484063
>you ain't going to track em down
Not with that attitude.
"Look, a broken twig, they came this way. And over there, an empty bottle of spirits next to that passed out Inuit looking fellow...."
>>
>>61484018
It happened in Fairbanks you utter mongoloid. That’s our second biggest city, so hardly “bumfuck” Alaska. It’s not Salcha, or fucking Eek.
Second, a lot of WWII vintage transport planes are still in daily use up here. The risk of something going wrong is always present with planes that old. Especially in such a harsh environment.
>>
>>61484133
Why are they retarded and using 80 year old airframes?
>>
>>61484237
NTA
Prop engines are more reliable than jet engines in extreme cold.
>>
>>61484237
Vintage warbirds are a part of our history and the best way to preserve them is to keep them flying. Much like a car, they like being used.
>>
>>61484265
oh so thats why u give them women names
>>
>>61484120
>inuit
You mean the eskimo?
>>
>>61484063
>implying the culprits aren't most likely the nearby town's meth-heads, well known to local law enforcement.
>>
>>61484237
If it ain't broken...
>>
>>61484018
>missile
Nah, the 80yo engine grenaded and looks like it cut the control cables with that instant roll.
>>
>>61484413
Looks pretty damn broken to me
>>
>>61484018
what the are you even trying to imply? Are you saying this is a false flag? Government incompetence? A legit terrorist attack? A russian/iranian/chinese backed shootdown? I do not understand the premise of this thread because it is made by someone with worms inside of their brain.
Who gave you internet access? I want their head on a spike outside of my front door NOW.
>>
>>61484237
The main reason is no one is building bush planes. If you want something that can land and take off from a field with a short ground roll and decent payload there aren't a lot of options built in the last 50 years and these tend to be small companies that couldn't afford to drop $10m on a new plane even if they were being produced.
>>
>>61484463
Seems like the designers at Embraer need to get cracking
>>
File: DHC-4.jpg (386 KB, 1024x683)
386 KB
386 KB JPG
>>61484471
de Havilland were the bush plane kings, the industry died with them.
Pic related can land and takeoff from places a plane that big has no business being.
>>
>>61484018
>missile
are you retarded?
sometimes old shit just breaks.
any modern SAM would cost more than the piece of shit from WW2.
>>
>>61484499
They should be practicing identifying friendly aircraft instead.
>>
>>61484018
>They totally coordinated it to explode right in front of some random guys garage camera
holy shit anon are you actually this retarded?
>>
>>61484515
Im more fascinated by how the schizo mind goes straight to "OMG MISSILE" and not the dozens of other causes, without even going into the idea of a motive for such a thing
>>
>>61484553
NTA
I think he just saw it roll after an engine out and assumed it had to be a missile because single engine failure on a multi engine plane rarely leads to a crash.
Problem is this isn't a triple redundant modern airliner and if you cut an aileron cable everyone dies.
>>
>>61484575
If this was filmed somewhere in the middle east, ukraine or similar then yeah, but some rando engine failure in the middle of Canada is "helo flew over my house near Ft Hood, we CW2 now"-tier
>>
>>61484253
>>61484265
>>61484413
>>61484463

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

now it's gone forever
>>
>>61484628
This is like crying because someone bubba'd a nugget, there are so many the destruction of one really doesn't matter.
>>
>>61484499
>You can see Russia from Alaska
The part of Alaska you can see Russia from is roughly 580 miles from Fairbanks. Anchorage (the closest port city) is roughly 260 miles from Fairbanks.
>A few Russian operatives coming over a boat is very realistic
And then smuggling a MANPAD either 260 or 580 miles to its destination, unpacking it, and specifically tracking the location of a DC-4 so that they can symbolically shoot it down in view of a camera, all to some shady, sinister end.
And this is somehow more plausible to you than an 80 year old aircraft suffering a mechanical failure?
>>
>>61484237
>Why are they retarded and using 80 year old airframes?

tell me you know nothing about aviation without telling me. It's not like a car with new model years, idiot. It a design works well and can remain relevant with upgrades and proper maintenance, there's no reason to junk it. It's the "upgrades and proper maintenance" part that generates issues.
>>
>>61484646
>muh nugg

there are now only 5 DC-4s left in the world
>>
>>61484499
>A few Russian operatives coming over a boat is very realistic.
But is it really?
>>
>>61484499
>A few Russian operatives coming over a boat is very realistic. This even is them testing to see how well they get away with shooting down planes on US soil.

Now this is what true based retard posting is all about.
>>
>>61484682
i mean, there are russian operatives in congress
>>
>>61484691
You got me there.
>>
>>61484667
My bad, I read it as DC-3.
>>
>>61484666
Go fuck yourself, aggro retard. Those DC-4s are worn the fuck out. Die in an explosion
>>
>>61484667
How many of them are even original? As I understand it, planes need their parts replaced pretty often. Wouldn't any one that still flies be a DC-4 of Theseus?
>>
>>61485387
Any 50yo+ plane is a Theseus, hell we have all likely flown on a 737 that has had 3 generations of engines, been stretched and had the cockpit gutted and replaced at least once.
>>
>>61485417
>everyone thinks I'm stupid
>but I don't think I'm stupid
>it must be a conspiracy!
>>
>>61485417
>SHOW the structural fatigue data
NTA
How would that prove anything about an engine detonating and taking an aileron cable with it?

>a board full of tank, gun and aviation autists says I'm wrong about a plane
Yes, we are autists. When was the last general aviation crash reports have you read? Mine was 4 days ago.
>>
>>61485440
>multi engine plane
>lose one engine
>crash

:/
>>
>>61485576
Do you know what it rare for a multi engine plane to crash after losing an engine?
Because of redundancy, not of the engines but of the control systems.
It's very common for an airliner to lose a hydraulic system along with an engine as bit of the engine cut hoses. It's very rare for it to cut all 3 redundant hydraulic systems.
How many redundant control systems do you think the DC-4 has?
>>
>>61485662
>How many redundant control systems do you think the DC-4 has?
How many redundant control systems does the owner maintain properly?
Redundancy is fine for the government or military but a random guy is going to call it "good enough" when it actually runs and flys at all
>>
>>61485672
It's a trick question, it has no redundancy for the flight controls, you snap a cable you die.
>>
>>61484666
>It a design works well and can remain relevant with upgrades and proper maintenance, there's no reason to junk it
The example you posted, the B-52, isn't in service because the military said "welp, it still works!". There were several bomber programs in line to replace it that ended up not dethroning it, and the B-52 coasted along because it had the range and payload to remain relevant when fighting in areas where there's no air defense thread.
Requesting proposals for a B-52 replacement would mean having to meet its performance metrics, which are rapidly losing relevancy. It's not in service because it works. It *has* to work, because there's nothing else to replace it with and no idea how the fuck you'd make a replacement relevant for modern day battlefields.
>>
>>61485387
>t. aircraft maintainer
Most of the airframe and a lot of the basic non-wear parts will have been original. You constantly run into weird shit in old planes, like a single electrical cable that's still in WWII insulation braid with drops of green chromate that leaked in while it was being painted in the factory, right next to a two-year-old vinyl line leading into a Korean War-vintage hyd cylinder. Or a WWII yoke worn down by hundreds of hands over the years, lovingly re-wound in buckskin, on top of a brand-new column someone CNCd for it in the noighties after the old one bent. Old birds get odd as FUCK voodoo gripes, too.

>>61484628
Parts of it will probably be recovered and used to restore its sisters. It's a bitch but that's how it do.
>>
>>61485795
Specially at that altitude, not exactly a lot of room to recover.
Not that this looked like a recoverable issue, but still.
>>
>>61484433
it doesn't have to cut anything, a roll like that will happen if you fly below Vmc when the engine fails, if that happens you're supposed to reduce thrust and trade altitude for speed but they were too low especially considering a delayed reaction
>>
>>61485672
>t. retard that has never maintained an airworthiness cert for a plane
>>
>>61484063
smaller places everyone knows each other, you wouldn't understand because you're from a city
also most cameras are networked now with computer vision that instantly sends you an alert when people are detected, I use those on my property.
I immediately know when someone is on my property within seconds after they are in the cameras view because I get an alert on my phone
>>
>>61484018
Anon... why would a missile be fired at a WWII vintage plane flying around bumfuck Alaska?

If you answer is "I don't know" (it is isn't it?) then why the fuck would think it could be a missile?
>>
>>61484018
Holy shit today's usual retards spamming the board have somehow gotten dumber
>>
>>61484063
What are footprints in snow
>>
File: aAbL6gR_700b.jpg (17 KB, 460x345)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>61486635
>>
>>61484018
looks like it was already on fire before it exploded.
>>
>>61484628
Most old stuff gets scrapped. We don't have enough space for all of our history.
If its still usable and low risk, use it.
This looks like some sort of pilot error, perhaps he had a heart attack.
>>
>>61484063
There's like 5 people in Alaska.
The other 4 will recognize the 5th immediately and identify them
>>
Is that Maid in Japan famous plane?
>>
>>61484253
That’s a crock of shit
>>
>>61485576
Things can go bad very quickly on multi engines and the availability of more engines is not always helpful. From the video they had a fire on #1 which is on the left side which is bad. Left side engines are considered "critical" as the thrust generated on the left side helps counteract the left turning tendencies of prop aircraft. You do Vmc demos with the left engine throttled down and feathered to demonstrate the gradual loss of control. This demo has been killing a lot of multi-engine students/instructors lately in the GA world because you very easily get to a stall/spin and drop thousands of feet very quickly and can be unrecoverable if you fucked up your cg.

They were flying fine up until the explosion which tells me they were able to control thrust asymmetry up to that point. The fire extinguishers clearly didn't work for whatever reason, possibly location of the fire etc. After the explosion they experience a rapid roll left possibly from loss of controls on the left side from the explosion, increased drag, or thrust asymmetry. If they were departing with a very heavy load they may have cranked those engines up pretty high to achieve decent climb rate, then losing both left engines may have spun them down fast. I'm not particularly familiar with DC-4 performance, but most of the light GA twins single engine climb out performance gets real shit real fast especially in high DA environments (though this is almost certainly not the case with snow on the ground).

>>61486124
A&P I assume? Got an IA?
>>
File: N44911.png (1.06 MB, 1360x897)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>61484018
>>61485417
Nope, just maintenance and operating practices that are decades out of date like those boomers who crashed their B-17 by using an unauthorized technique to clean their magnetos.

This is at least the 3rd time (https://reports.aviation-safety.net/2007/20070117-0_DC4_N82FA.pdf) an Alaskan C-54 has suffered an in-flight fire or explosion of the #2 engine. It's a missed maintenance or novel wear problem on an anti-static or fuel vapor inerting system behind the explosion. As for ignition, fires happen in old radials. They've got a lot more potential points of failure, some catastrophic (won't extinguish even if the fire extinguisher was actually in working order) like blowing the cylinder head. FAA inspections and regulation of old-ass bush aircraft aren't nearly as rigorous either.
>>
>>61484018
It's just you. They were having suspected engine trouble shortly after take off and were in the process of returning to the airport when the engine destroyed itself.

https://youtu.be/m4Y0TlD1068?si=RD2rEck7xR5iy-zF
>>
>>61488359
>tell them I love them ma’am, tell them I love them
Fuck bros
>>
>>61484265
>Much like a woman, they like being used
You had one job
>>
>>61484018
>>61484499
I have to assume you're trolling, or perhaps just retarded (maybe both). The crew called that they had problems and needed to return well before they lost their engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asQhWTfoVf4
>>
>>61486124
>>t. aircraft maintainer
you should make a thread one day for the fellow plane autists, I would like reading it (:
>>
>>61484133
>there are people living in a place called Eek
>>
>>61484048
indians the gypsies of north america
>>
>>61485387
All heavy equipment is thesus'd when in service long enough. The answer to the riddle is that yes, it's the same ship, stop overthinking it.
>>
>>61484628
eternal
t
e
r
n
a
l
>>
>>61489561
Then it doesn't belong in a museum. Modern parts that used to be on the same machine as slightly older modern parts that used to be on the same machine as original historic parts aren't worth preserving. It's just a replica that was assembled one piece at a time. A paper mache model would serve the same purpose in a museum.
>>
>>61484507
Yeah well, no empire no need to take the fruits of civilisation out into all the corners of Oogaboogaland. Now the Oogaboogese just come and deliver ethnic takeout in your cities.
>>
>>61484391
>native american; you mean indian?
>>
>>61484018
>>61484048
the farm has cameras because it's a legal grow op and every state with legal grows mandates some kind of surveillance system. The farm is 8 miles southwest of Fairbanks international airport so they're maybe 20 minutes outside of the second largest city in alaska. they're also on the edge of a river that also passes by the airport that pilots would clearly use if flying under VFR. take your meds/this is your (you)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.